• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idling problems with 98 Indy

Sep 12, 2012
My friend has a 1998 in 500 that he recently purchased. It is a pain to start sometimes, and and idle it barely runs. It also does not sound right. I was thinking maybe the carbs needed to be synced or cleaned, or the jets changed? He doesn't know what jets he is running and he rides at 900 feet from 10-25 degrees. What should the jets be? :yo: O and also once you get going it is ok but it still seems like it could be better

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
98 500

I have seen many many machines this year that have idle jets partilly or totally plugged. The hole in those jets are so small it takes very little to plug them. I reccomend a good carb clean and make sure you can either see throught those jets or just replace them. Also check the choke adjustment.
While you are at it look at the piston skirts through the carb adapters and make sure yo are not missing a piston skirt.
Also make sure the pipe is open, varmits like to build nests in them and restrict the exhaust.

Premium Features