• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 xcr 440 HELP!!

Dec 9, 2009
I have a xcr 440 (red hood). It has 1610 miles on it, and it is really hard to start!! I had it brought in to the dealership in Oct. and they cleaned and synched the carbs, now it will start with new plugs and run good till warms up and then it wont idle and die, sometimes it restarts and sometimes it wont!!! Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanx!!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Are the plugs soaked with gas when you pull them out? If so the needle's and seats in your carbs might be bad. Until you get it fixed **** the gas off via the valve under the hood when you shut the sled off.

Dec 9, 2009
The plugs are not wet... The dealer put new needle and seats in last march....do you think the motors shot? what else should i look at?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
First off did this problem exist before you took it to the dealer? and is there gas in It, If there is, check the fuel shut off, second after it dies, pull the sediment tap off the bottom of the carb and see if there is gas in the bowl. A new needle and seat replacemant is not a big deal, neither is syncing the carbs, you could take the bottom bowl off the carbs and see if the float and seat move nice.
What would make you think the engine is shot is there something your not telling us.
I owned lots of polaris sleds and I even owned a 98 xcr 440, and never ran into this issue.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Does the sled have spark when it dies? Immediately after it dies?

If so it could be a bad stator.

Dec 9, 2009
It did not have this problem before going in to the dealer.... i just bought the sled last spring and being its used was just wondering about motor...and my headlight dims really bad when it does run/cuts out...yes it has gas..lol... i will check carbs and for spark tomorrow!!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It did not have this problem before going in to the dealer.... i just bought the sled last spring and being its used was just wondering about motor...and my headlight dims really bad when it does run/cuts out...yes it has gas..lol... i will check carbs and for spark tomorrow!!
The best advise I have for you is if it didn't do this prior to being at the dealer take it back to them, and ask them "why my sled doesn't run now after you worked on it?" I've done this before and wasn't charged extra. Any GOOD dealer shouldn't question you and fix you sled right, We are human and mechanics do make mistakes.

Dec 9, 2009
Sorry it took so long to reply.... I took the sled back to my dealer they looked it over and found out that the oil line came off the pump and burned down the mag side....getting fixed now!!! Thanks for all the help!!

Premium Features