• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Motor Fits any help appreciated

A
Dec 21, 2009
hey guys, i got a 1994 580 xlt sp, chaincase dropped and rolled to fit 144 2 1/4 finger, just blew it up, can someone tell me what other motor options i have to fit that bulkhead? twins? other triples? somethig newer maybe, im told that these bulkheads are totally different from the rest f em, any help much appreciated thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Well, if memory serves... you can put any Fuji triple in there you want to... xlt/storm/ultra/xcr.

You can put a fuji twin in but you will have to switch the steering a bit because the drag link comes in on the other side with the fuji twins in there.

I put a domestic twin in one of these chassis' back in '98 and it was a lot of work and never worked right... motor set too high in the bulkhead and I could get an airbox on it and the pipes had to be recut to fit.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
See my first post... 'a lot of work and never worked right'.

You can put it in but it doesn't sit down low enough and the steering column is in the way so you can't put an air box on it. Then you have to hand cut whatever pipe you are going to use because it sits wrong with the motor up in the chassis higher.

With as cheap as '97-'01 chassis' are there is no way I would ever do the conversion again.

sled_guy

P

polhiker

Nov 2, 2002
Chinook,montana
I put a 97 700 in a 94 xlt sp had to make my own steering post,used pods with 90 degree tubes,used the motor mountd from the xlt just redrilled them.routing the hoses took a bit but got it done.ran awsome,but would not do it again.alot of work and hair pulling out.

T
Nov 23, 2009
There were a lot of 670 Rotax engines put in that chassis back then. Precision Products in Idaho Falls Idaho made a nice engine mounting plate for them. Maybe they still have some.

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
I've put 670 Rotax's in the older wedge chassis as well as 98 700 Pol. motors. If you like to tinker and are handy with making things fit that aren't supposed to fit it is a fun project. I used pods on all of my conversions and changed the angle of the steering post and then bent the top back to normal.All of sleds had the drop and roll and 151 and longer tracks under them. If you really want to do this PM me for more help. I'll give you my phone number. By the way, it was easier to do the 700 Pol. than the 670 Rotax. but they were both time consuming.

Any thing is possible its just time consuming and takes patience or beer (some times lotts of beer)!! I've done projects like this for fun but its not always fun, surprisingly you always feel good building something they say is hard to do!!

We did an ultra w pipes in 1996 xcr indy, did an artic 580 with 700 pipes in a zr 440 , and a liberty 600 in a burned down 1999 xcr 440 snow cross sled. Similar liberty 600 in 1996 xcr chassis. The last we had to bend and fab the pipes some but they all work great!!

You could always rebuild the xlt, or pick up a take out motor and drop it in and go go go !! Hope this helps!!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
with that said how difficult is it to make like a 1997 700 twin fit in there?

Pretty hard. Only way is to make a custom motor plate. No motor mounts are going to work for this application besides the stock ones and those you will have to weld the holes shut and drill new holes in order to get the correct spacing.

personally id put an Ultra motor in it as long as your chassis is good.

Last edited:
Premium Features