• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 indy 500 , chain case gears and cog drivers

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
hey guys I've had this 97 indy 500 for a while and i know its nutting fancy and new but it gets the job done for me , i am sprucing it up a bit for this season , and i got a sick deal on a 136 x 2 -15 backcountry camoplast track on ebay brand new for like 180 bucks ! (was used less then 2 months of riding) so heres my question i got 7tooth drivers from a yamaha and to get my mph and gearing back up i need a top 25tooth and a bottom 35 tooth my stock 21:39 gearing both add up to the same amount of teeth 25+35=60 and stock 21+39=60 , can i use these gears with reverse ?

and i got rail extensions
and lowering my skid down and raising front end of sled up 1 inch

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Evolved

I don't think I would be excited about getting the gearing right back where you are stock. I am not sure about the reverse, but I don't think it will work.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
ARE ALL SPROCKETS THE SAME SIZE WIDE > ???? how do i find out how wide sprockets are and if they will fit the 500 ? is there a reference website ???

I'm trying to fit a 97 indy ultra or indy 700 rmk 35 tooth bottom gear with a
2001 polaris edge 700 gen 2 part #2900009 25 tooth top gear , with my reverse from what i saw in this video on youtude the drive gears have nutting too do at all with the reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_0gf-ishuE

^^^^ this guy isn't too bright either

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The newer Edge gears are typically Hyvo gears, which refers to the profile of the tooth. Not interchangeable with older gears. They are usually referenced in width to the number of plates in the chain it takes to cover them, like an 11, 13 or 15 wide chain. When you wrap a chain around a gear, count the stack of plates in that chain. You can have a narrower sprocket like a 13 with the other a 15 but you have to run a 15 wide chain.

The larger lug track will add a ton of drag that will not allow you to reach 93 mph anymore.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
No go on your rewind setup as that is a mechanical reverse setup(gearing options are slim to nil these days). Gearing does not look right to me, 21/39 is stock. yes the 7 tooth yamies will help you to gear down a tad.

I will look at my Poo gearing chart in my shop tonight and let you know what Polaris says to run, what MPH are you looking for? Both my RMK mods top out at about 73mph with my clutching and gearing. Any faster with a paddle track and they really like to start throw lugs....

Nothing like fixing up an older machine my friend Just remember Don't matter what you ride just as long as you ride.....

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
25+35=60 and stock 21+39=60
you take the big number and divide it by the little number to find your gear ratio. 35/25=1.4, 39/21=1.86.
are you sure 8 tooths wont fit w the 2"?
1.86 would be fine with 7 tooths, maybe a little high with 8s imo.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
what gears do you guys recommend ? i don't know what to go with and what oem gears also i can run that will fit , like if i where to get gears off ebay , will post pics of build later tommrw:help:

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
indy 500 coolers are on the bottom closer to the belly pan and will not fit , stock 9 tooth drivers from bottom of track too cooler is 1" 1/2 leaving me with less then 1/2" gap i need at least a 1/4" space between the cooler and track and 8 tooth drivers just fit a 1" 3/4 track barley making enough room , 7 tooth drivers gave me enough space for 2" lugs i just need to find a gear i still wana do at least 80mph 85mph , i am clutched , 7 tooth cogs are already on

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
I will be at my shop in the am I will look at my Polaris gearing chart for ya! I ment to the other night but my busy season Is killing me at work!:face-icon-small-sho Just remember you machine is going to handle different with the paddle track (slide out on ice) and will want to throw lugs at that speed(my personal experience But I put alot of miles on a track in a season) Please post pictures of any clearance issues as I have delt with a bunch of these older machines... If it has tunnel coolers you may need to notch the track a bit I will snap some pictures of the notched track on a 700 xc I long tracked last season if its still at the shop in the am...

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
should i cut the track down to a 1" 3/4 ??? whats top speed with a 2" lug track ? all these boondocks riders still hit 85 - 90mph , I'm not looking for speed but i do wanna have some speed when i need to get out of a pickle

Last edited:
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Yes you can theoretically mix narrow and wide plate sprockets. Not a great Idea as you run into chain walk binding and loss of reliability. Get a few pictures of you chain case internals for me and the areas where you are seeing the track rubbing in your sled. let me know what sprockets you need I have stacks of them in the shop and a bunch of chains hyvo and silent. I will make you a great deal on what you need if I have it.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
hey cowboy do you have instagram or Facebook ? i got all my pictures on there , , the forum can't load the pics from my iPhone idk whats wroung

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
20/37 is close with a 72 pitch chain if you have the 7.92 chain case as it will keep your jack shaft rpms at a safe speed your ratio you want to try is going to yeild a rpm at the track of close to 10,000 rpm way way way to fast for a paddle track. And according to my book and knowledge 21 is as big as the top can go..... Longer taller tracks require a smaller top gear. To compensate for the increased drag

Premium Features