• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powdercoating

T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA
Is it safe to powdercoat the rails and spindles,or will the powdercoating process weaken the aluminum? I have a black and yellow 165 showing up very soon but i don't like the yellow at all so I was going to get the rails and spindles powdercoated blue or grey.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
thx for asking the question. cant stand the yellow

I powder coated the rails and spindles on my m8
with no issues, but this will be my first long track
(165) and I am already worried about jumping with
the longer rails, don't want to weaken them. should
I tell the powder coating place to only bake up to a
certain temp?

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
I would be careful with the spindle. Seen people bake them at a high temp and crushes the spindle or breaks it. I've done rails on my sled and didn't have any problems within 1700 miles of having it. Did spindles and rails on a t3 and still are holding up and The rails I wouldn't worrie about as much as the spindles.

Last edited:
T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA
I would be careful with the spindle. Seen people bake them at a high temp and crushes the spindle or breaks it. I've done rails on my sled and didn't have any problems within 1700 miles of having it. Did spindles and rails on a t3 and still are holding up and The rails I wouldn't worrie about as much as the spindles.

How many miles on your t3 spindles and rails?

rabidsnowmobiler

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2011
I powder coated the rails and spindles on my 2015 T3 163 manta green. I have around 2500 miles on the sled now. Rails are still straight and I'm not afraid to jump it. I did have a spindle bend slightly, but I do tree riding too so not sure if a non-powder coated spindle would have done any better with a similar impact.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
how would I go about finding the type of aluminum
on the spindles and rails. with that should be easy
enough to find out what heat is safe to not mess
with their strength

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Probably cost the same to get a automotive guy to paint them. Doesn't ski-doo paint them anyway??

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Yeah. That's how it's done. I am an auto body painter. A clean surface scuffed well and also warm 75 degrees or so will be the best condition for applying the etch prime. That is the only thing that will stick to aluminum.

A guy could paint the spindles without removing them. Same prep and scuff them with 320 grit. Some simple masking and rattle can etch prime sold at auto body supply store, acid 8. Works good.. Then top coat with what ever rattle can color desired.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Yeah. That's how it's done. I am an auto body painter. A clean surface scuffed well and also warm 75 degrees or so will be the best condition for applying the etch prime. That is the only thing that will stick to aluminum.

A guy could paint the spindles without removing them. Same prep and scuff them with 320 grit. Some simple masking and rattle can etch prime sold at auto body supply store, acid 8. Works good.. Then top coat with what ever rattle can color desired.

problem is its not sticking to aluminum, it has to stick to the finish doo is putting on them. I assume they are powder coated, but I don't know. but I am no painter:face-icon-small-win

S
Oct 6, 2009
Powder coating is ok as long as your coater knows what he is doing. Need to keep the heat down. Problem is usually not the coating temp it is when they cut corners and bake off the residue vs. sand blasting.

Premium Features