• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

octane/ wrench light?

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
On my 11 800ho I would like to run a aftermarket exhaust can but I seem to have a problem. When the machine was new (fall 10) I put on a SLP can (which was a new item for them at the time) and shortly into the ride the octane light would come on so I did the normal routine and added octane, trying switching fuels and nothing would help. I put the stock exhaust back on and the problem went away. Last year I tried again with the slp can after the sled was re-programmed and still the same problem. I just gave up and ran the stock all season. Is it a bad pipe sensor, octane sensor or bad can? I'm riding a 0-3000. Id like to try a HPS can but am afraid to invest the money if it is going to do the same thing. Any thoughts or idea?

Thanks

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I have not heard of this particular problem, but the guys over at slp are pretty good to work with. Maybe try giving them a call.

The only thing that I can think of would be that the slp can is somehow allowing more heat to reach the exhaust probe. That could make the computer think that you need to run higher octane fuel. Did the octane additive help at all?

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

F
Mar 19, 2010
North Dakota
I had the same issue with cutler can last year, I had the reflash done and asked them to fix the codes (17)and 20 Ithink. I havnt run it since but they told me the vibrations of after market cans can make these codes flash. Someone once told me when the codes flash it also retards your timing a bit. Mine still ran fine when flashing, a little annoying tho.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
I have not heard of this particular problem, but the guys over at slp are pretty good to work with. Maybe try giving them a call.

The only thing that I can think of would be that the slp can is somehow allowing more heat to reach the exhaust probe. That could make the computer think that you need to run higher octane fuel. Did the octane additive help at all?

No the octane did nothing for it. Your thinking was kinda what I was leaning toward also. Something to do the back pressure creating more heat and setting the exhaust probe off.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
I had the same issue with cutler can last year, I had the reflash done and asked them to fix the codes (17)and 20 Ithink. I havnt run it since but they told me the vibrations of after market cans can make these codes flash. Someone once told me when the codes flash it also retards your timing a bit. Mine still ran fine when flashing, a little annoying tho.

I know when my octane code was flashing it was retarding itself, not sure with other codes.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I don't know what these engines have for sensors. If it is vibration that is causing it to code, then it must be a knock sensor. I find it hard to believe that the note of the exhaust would set off a knock sensor. On the other hand a signal from a knock sensor would certainly result in a low octane code.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I don't know what these engines have for sensors. If it is vibration that is causing it to code, then it must be a knock sensor. I find it hard to believe that the note of the exhaust would set off a knock sensor. On the other hand a signal from a knock sensor would certainly result in a low octane code.

The M8 has a sensor your 1000 doesn't have... basic top of head knock sensor.

I'm leaning toward your theory of vibration.

Is there something on the can that's not isolated properly, like a spring that's hitting, or the side of the can hitting something, or your muff pot hitting the bulkhead?

If it was a real octane issue from a can, a very small amount of octane should have fixed the problem, since a can changes the mix only very slightly.

Many boosted poo's hit det codes because of a clearance issue some have, and all it takes is creating some space to get rid of the "det"... which isn't det at all.

That said, some 10's & 11's had overly sensitive sensors, and changing the torque fixed the problem, might want to look at Arctic Chat where more folks had the issue & see what torque specs the low land guys were using.

B
Jan 20, 2009
Mine did the same thing but I was running old fuel so I put new stuff in and i'll try it again soon, I have a pc5 with a speedwerx pipe and jaws can with an slp intake, Mine ran like trash as soon as the light came on. I'd turn the sled off and restart it and it ran fine, I pumped the old 91 out and put some 94 in and i'll give it a shot

Scrubs

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2010
Alberta
Running A Skinz super-Q on my 2011 800ho and no problems at all. Just running a can though on otherwise stock motor. Runs & sounds good.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
I had the same thing with a mbrp can. Only happened under 4000 ft. After I had the computer reflashed it never happened again.

Premium Features