• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax brake pad replacement

T
Nov 4, 2018
I have a 2012 yz450 with Mototrax 120.

Just as I was getting back to my truck, after my second time out on it, I noticed the brake rotor glowing. It got so hot the shroud started to melt. The pads look worn, and I plan to replace them, along with a new shroud.

Anyone know the pad size?

To replace pads, do you remove the two Cadmium coated bolts from the inside of the track frame, to release the pads?

Thanks

Y
Dec 3, 2014
Boise, ID
I haven't had to change mine yet but it looks like you might have to pull the rotor to get the pads out once you pull the 2 allen head bolt pins.... Sounds like you have moisture in your system and it's expanding when the brakes get hot and dragging. I'd suggest bleeding the system with fresh, newly opened fluid. Other thing it could be is the lever adjustment is out too far (no freeplay) and not allowing the pads to release.

T
Nov 4, 2018
I got the pads out finally, they don't look that bad, but I will replace anyway.

Thanks for the tip regarding moisture, I was trying to figure out what could cause the dragging.

Y
Dec 3, 2014
Boise, ID
Well I really wasn't planning on doing my brake update today but since I was looking at it I decided to get it done.

I was going to let you know the pad # and that you don't need to pull the rotor to get the pads out but I'm sure you figured that out by now. If yours doesn't have the brake update, now would be a good time to order it... If your pins thread into just the aluminum frame as opposed to a bracket, it hasn't been done.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Also worth noting that (at least in 2017) the kits came with an organic compound pad that did not last. I replaced pads twice in the first season which seemed crazy for how little we use the brakes on these things. Then, they let me know there was an "upgraded" pad that was a synthetic compound that lasted way longer. I still have a spare set at home, so let me know if you want the part # and I can look for them tonight when I get off work.

T
Nov 4, 2018
I replaced pads twice in the first season which seemed crazy for how little we use the brakes on these things.

I talked with Jason from MotoEvolution last night, and he said the brake caliper piston on the Mototrax get slightly corroded, which causes drag, and accelerated brake pad wear. He said he polished his, which took care of the issue.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
While replacing my pads for the second time that season, I was suspecting a hung up piston as well. But when apart, it slid in and out easily so I don't think I had that problem. It definitely got warmer than it should have, and melted the cover. Luckily, the rotor was never damaged or glazed so an hour in the shop and a set of pads got me going again. Another fella with the same year kit installed new pads prior to a ride and must have had one installed incorrectly because it ate the entire pad and was down to the holder before we were two hours in. We ended up removing the pads (and the rotor was grooved badly) and he limped the rest of the ride with only Fred Flintstone brakes...

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
While replacing my pads for the second time that season, I was suspecting a hung up piston as well. But when apart, it slid in and out easily so I don't think I had that problem. It definitely got warmer than it should have, and melted the cover. Luckily, the rotor was never damaged or glazed so an hour in the shop and a set of pads got me going again. Another fella with the same year kit installed new pads prior to a ride and must have had one installed incorrectly because it ate the entire pad and was down to the holder before we were two hours in. We ended up removing the pads (and the rotor was grooved badly) and he limped the rest of the ride with only Fred Flintstone brakes...
It could also be the master cylinder not releasing the pressure. I went with a cheap spare aftermarket master cylinder so I don't have to bleed my summer setup (Although, ended up just buying a summer bike). I've had no problems, but, see where a bad assembly could lock your caliper line pressure as the brake fluid temp rises.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
You could be right. I'm no mechanic, so bleeding the brake line was never an easy process for me. This season I am running a Camso which came with it's own master cylinder - so I happily skipped that step this time around. Going to be putting the moto trax kit on a backup bike and will probably purchase the spare master to save myself the headache.

S
Jan 28, 2020
ebc fa159 aka polaris front atv disc brake pads are an alternative to the mototrax pads

Premium Features