• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I swapped a tunnel on a proclimb. I don't want my sled any lighter

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Just as the topic says. I've swapped a tunnel and realized there ain't chit on these things for metal. Then u read about people bitching how heavy these sleds are and wonder where the hell is it gonna come from? All the weight of these sleds is in : hood, exhaust and motor. They have to pass emissions and noise so they can't touch the exhaust or the hood so....... Do u want them to make a hollow crankshaft or do u want them to take more out of the chassis? I think there are a few chassis areas where I'd like to see it heavier

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Weak.

I'll paint some lead weights green just for you.

tunnels have been light for a long time, the weight is in a number of things, from the clutches, to the bulkhead, to the goofy steering, to the oversized oil tank, to the unprotected nose on the obnoxiously heavy hood...

We've had STRONG light sleds since 05, the idea that the sled NEEDS to be heavy, or that you'd want it heavier is just silly.

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Cat could easily drop the weight by 50lbs for a few hundred bucks of their cost. Hood, exhaust, oil tank, fuel tk, steering, brake, driveshaft, seat, etc

If only they gave a sht! Cat could do a lot of things to the Proclimb, light weight drive shaft is not one of them.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Ok, do we all agree that Cat is 40 lbs heavier than Poo. Put on a can and remove the rear idlers and you lose 20 lbs. That big oil res weighs nothing. It is made out of magnesium, just don't fill it with oil. Could Cat shave 10 lbs off? Probably, but I don't want to have a Poo that needs to be reinforced to carry a gas can on the tunnel. This sled really rides like it is light. Doesn't feel heavy like the '12 did. I would love to have a super light Proclimb, but not at the expense of durability. Overall, I am happy with what Cat has got for a machine compared to the competition. Best motor, best track, and climbs like crazy. I can live with the 20 lbs.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ok, do we all agree that Cat is 40 lbs heavier than Poo. Put on a can and remove the rear idlers and you lose 20 lbs. That big oil res weighs nothing. It is made out of magnesium, just don't fill it with oil. Could Cat shave 10 lbs off? Probably, but I don't want to have a Poo that needs to be reinforced to carry a gas can on the tunnel. This sled really rides like it is light. Doesn't feel heavy like the '12 did. I would love to have a super light Proclimb, but not at the expense of durability. Overall, I am happy with what Cat has got for a machine compared to the competition. Best motor, best track, and climbs like crazy. I can live with the 20 lbs.

I'll agree on the driveshaft... I'm RATHER fond of driving my sled home:cheer2: :D

But my 12, set up with 38" arms, dropped skid, weight taken off, 2.5 CE track... Feels like it's a friggin nytro if the snow isn't 18"+. It pulls like a freight train, floats GREAT in deep, handles well in deep snow... but it does NOT ride like it's light for me.

I was just about to sell my 11 turbo, and take my wife's 12 as mine... but I just can't do it. I'm just really frustrated right now at what I've spent on this sled and how much I dislike it.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Do you mean the tunnel is weak?

Like this?

Then they make the inside tunnel reinforcement that you cant buy that piece alone you have to buy the whole dam tunnel! What a JOKE!

KJP

pictures2 007.jpg pictures2 001.jpg pictures2 003.jpg pictures2 006.jpg pictures2 008.jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Like this?

Then they make the inside tunnel reinforcement that you cant buy that piece alone you have to buy the whole dam tunnel! What a JOKE!

KJP

but we went from a lighter sled, that had no real "weak spots" to this thing...

(weak frame & panel design, horribly designed drop brackets that hold HUGE amounts of snow, and are weaker)

Yes... please tell me again TRF, how hugely strong this sled is...:face-icon-small-con

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
but we went from a lighter sled, that had no real "weak spots" to this thing...

(weak frame & panel design, horribly designed drop brackets that hold HUGE amounts of snow, and are weaker)

Yes... please tell me again TRF, how hugely strong this sled is...:face-icon-small-con

Yeah, however the 12/13's build half as much snow. i remember breaking an m cowling from just trying to open it, then remember all the snow that builds up in the front of the old suspension/turning radius?? Remember how hard it was to turn, remember how crappy the suspension used to be, yeah the proclimb needs some on its side help, but people have figured that out by making it skinnier and turn sharper, thats cheap compared to what it would take to make a 10m handle like the pro climb, or steer half as easy! Its good to complain but i know we can make this proclimb work/handle better.

They made huuge improvements for 13 i bet they do the same for 14... Be patient!!

-Aksnopro

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
No sled is indestructible. If you ride any sled you have the chance to bend or break something. I don't know what to tell you guys. I guess go buy a different brand if Cat is that bad. Cat can make improvements on this sled just like all the manufacturers can. None of them are perfect. So far my '13 works great and I'm happy with it.

R
Feb 26, 2008

Like this?

KJP

Atleast you can buy a tunnel.. Polaris comes as an assembly ($2500). And Ive replaced more Pro chassis than Cat a-arms

M

M8Freerider

Feb 15, 2010
Surrey BC
I'll agree on the driveshaft... I'm RATHER fond of driving my sled home:cheer2: :D

But my 12, set up with 38" arms, dropped skid, weight taken off, 2.5 CE track... Feels like it's a friggin nytro if the snow isn't 18"+. It pulls like a freight train, floats GREAT in deep, handles well in deep snow... but it does NOT ride like it's light for me.

I was just about to sell my 11 turbo, and take my wife's 12 as mine... but I just can't do it. I'm just really frustrated right now at what I've spent on this sled and how much I dislike it.

Been reading your posts in various threads and your complaints are always pretty consistent. I rode the 13 Poo and the 13 XM and both are great sleds. Very light to handle and both do everything really well, in fact you couldn't go wrong with either. I like the XM better for a couple of reasons and was ready to pull the trigger on one (coming of 2010 M8 Turbo, EZ ride, narrowed front end sled worked) because I wasn't even going to consider a PC because of all the bad press. Since I owned a Cat I thought I owe to myself to try a 13 PC. Well I am happy to say I bought the 13 LE. This sled rocks! Regardless of snow conditions it works. I know there were allot of changes and I am hearing about guys trying to replicate on their 12s with little success. If you can afford to try a 13 do – if you cant don't ride one cuz you will have to have it.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I heard that BCIL has been riding 2 times this year! He's been " busy "!

He just likes to btch!

But seriously that XM is looking pretty sweet!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I heard that BCIL has been riding 2 times this year! He's been " busy "!

He just likes to btch!

But seriously that XM is looking pretty sweet!

haha... the snow here in CO has been a ways from inspiring. After the worst season ever last year, this year is the worst season ever-er.

I've been out 6 times now, and usually I would have passed that by mid october. Lack of riding is making me a bit bitter I'm sure, but I really liked the 12 when I rode it a few weeks ago in deep, I was stoked, thought it was finally set up... but no dice.

I've got to ride a 13... if it really is that much better, then it'll be worth it.

There's no reason though, since we don't have a belt blower, that we shouldn't be able to set the 12 up like a 13 (or better) I'll be doing the BDX spindle kit soon, maybe that'll do what I want it to do, add in swapping the skis to M skis, and perhaps I'll be happy then.

We just got a decent dump of snow, maybe winter is finally starting around here! A bit of fun riding might actually make me a bit less grumpy!!:D

S

sledrider

Nov 26, 2007
Wherever the snow is
haha... the snow here in CO has been a ways from inspiring. After the worst season ever last year, this year is the worst season ever-er.

I've been out 6 times now, and usually I would have passed that by mid october. Lack of riding is making me a bit bitter I'm sure, but I really liked the 12 when I rode it a few weeks ago in deep, I was stoked, thought it was finally set up... but no dice.

I've got to ride a 13... if it really is that much better, then it'll be worth it.

There's no reason though, since we don't have a belt blower, that we shouldn't be able to set the 12 up like a 13 (or better) I'll be doing the BDX spindle kit soon, maybe that'll do what I want it to do, add in swapping the skis to M skis, and perhaps I'll be happy then.

We just got a decent dump of snow, maybe winter is finally starting around here! A bit of fun riding might actually make me a bit less grumpy!!:D

BCIL,

Curious have you droped the rear skid mounting point to the lower hole?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
BCIL,

Curious have you droped the rear skid mounting point to the lower hole?

Yeah, did that & added the 2.5CE at the same time... really thought that was going to be the ticket. With each of the little changes we've made I keep thinking "NOW, this thing is gonna be great". I'm honestly trying to be an optimist, it's just really tough with no snow, and a sled I just can't get set up to even work as well as a 2005 M7.

S

sledrider

Nov 26, 2007
Wherever the snow is
Yeah, did that & added the 2.5CE at the same time... really thought that was going to be the ticket. With each of the little changes we've made I keep thinking "NOW, this thing is gonna be great". I'm honestly trying to be an optimist, it's just really tough with no snow, and a sled I just can't get set up to even work as well as a 2005 M7.

Loved my 05.....:)

Try this set up when it is not as deep and the snow is set.
65-70 Front Shocks 125-130 Rear with about a 1/4 inch of exposed thread on the front track shock. just try it once whats a few minutes?

When it is deep I ride 80-85 with 150 in the rear shock.

Also my M did not seem to "really" care where my feet where on the boards. My PC NEEDS me to ride father forward, and I have actuall started to "weight the pegs" similar to my dirt days.
I am still not sold on the sled but I have been trying things with this sled I would never had tried set up wise and riding style and getting some decent changes.

I actually think that soon I will be trading skis back and forth depending on the snow conditions, (SLP, Gripper, Stock)

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Loved my 05.....:)

Also my M did not seem to "really" care where my feet where on the boards. My PC NEEDS me to ride father forward, and I have actuall started to "weight the pegs" similar to my dirt days.
I am still not sold on the sled but I have been trying things with this sled I would never had tried set up wise and riding style and getting some decent changes.

I found this too. with both my 12' and 13'. On my m's I never really thought about it. But with the PC I have to have the toe of my boots about 6-8" back from the beginning of the foot well. Not my favorite ergonomically but the response of the sled to my weight shift is NIGHT AND DAY! Farther forward and it is like a carving a pontoon boat. Farther back and it is uber uncomfortable w/ no real gain. Definitely a sweet spot on the PC...for me.

Premium Features