• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight Clutch

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
There was a 3 year old thread regarding this. 3 years have passed so there must be some new experiences. Please say your experience with lightweight clutch parts, especially that you can buy ZRP rotating performance package reasonably priced at 395$. Is it worth it? is there noticeable difference? I am wondering if you need to change any clutch settings like weights or helix ?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Worth it to lighten the primary for that price imo. Makes it much snappier. I didnt have to change anything.

I have patricks carbon cover and Ti bolts.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
I installed ZRP clutch cover on a stock 800. I would say it’s a slight improvement in throttle response. I did not have to change any clutch settings, bolted on and rode it with zero issues.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I installed ZRP clutch cover on a stock 800. I would say it’s a slight improvement in throttle response. I did not have to change any clutch settings, bolted on and rode it with zero issues.

When you bolted it on, did you rebalance the primary?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I ran the carbon cover and titanium bolts and and light weight starting cup. It just makes the sled snappier/rev up faster. No problems in 1500 miles

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
great, now I only need to figure out who will balance my clutch here. Might be tricky, any ideas?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Europe :) I most certainly would prefer to do it locally, so I do not have to ship anything and be without working sled for several days

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine

No I did not rebalance and I have no vibrations or issues. I figured I’d try it first and if it needed to be balanced I would have it done, but I did not need to. I used stock bolts and installed their hardened shim (which came with it) between the spring and cover.

32DC5146-A8CD-4223-A7E7-51B9D3C33BCE.jpeg

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT

In the shop while working on Haydens we had a pretty huge debate about this subject....lol..... IMHO with so much stuff moving about, shifting, belt vibrations,weights, etc etc and having used many lightweight covers, I've never once had any balance issues. :juggle::juggle::juggle: Another thing we yacked about was the method of balanceing, do you balance with the clutch open or closed or in the mid shift point ? Do you balance with the weights installed or not? how perfect can you get the taper fit on the machine? At what speed do you spin it on the machine? How accurate will the machine repeat if you try to remove the clutch and re inatsll multible times?? etc ect Saying all this we have my 35 years of owning a race engine shop, Adam owning a shop that builds aircraft turbine engines ( and has about the best balancer money can buy in house) and Haydens multible clutch swaps lol That all being said if a shop that did it was close to me, yeah id have them balance it, however theres a ton of debate on this subject for sure.:face-icon-small-dis:bowl::bowl:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
On a side note we are wondering if anybody has went to a lightweight cover with no balancing and actually had a problem they could for sure trace to the cover ?? Just wondering :face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I like to weigh the cover bolts and weight match them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
We suggest you balance your clutch even when its is new, as they can be out of balance by a lot...Some are just fine some need it...To be safe I would suggest it..not a huge expense, we charge $75.00 plus shipping. We send a balance sheet with a report showing where it was and where it need up..

TJ

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
ZRP clutch cover was on the sled at 688 miles from the previous owner. He rode it a season that way. When I bought the sled I had the clutches balanced and gone through at Indy Specialties.

I can't really say it it helped or not? I have a silber Turbo @ 7psi and the silver clutching... Which isn't the best on the low end... Mid and top end it Pulls really hard.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
3000 miles on last years sled with the ZRP light weight package. 1300 miles without it balanced no issues. Had clutch rebuilt and balanced by Indy Specialties and the remainder the year no issues.

Light weight kit seemed to smooth idle out(could be in my head) but definitely made it rev quicker. Haven't heard of anyone having an issue with the lightweight covers.

Premium Features