• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

alpha engine temp during trail w frah pow? break in period

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
so, new alpha 1 w 2 heat/cool cycles for break in totaling ~25 mins idle time and a couple quick mellow coul de sak tours..

took her out for a 1each way mile tour on hard pack dirt road w 3-4 blower fresh oow in breck tonight and by the time I got back, she was at 90% temp.

had scratchers down and modulated motor...not trail friendly at all

so is it the rich oil/gas break in ratio, bad placement of scratchers or perhaps as someone mentioned missing coolant?

either case, its it's its cold outside w fresh snow but a little worrisome

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
now base blower snow the scratchers just fall through the snow and do not kick snow up into the skid. if your on a packed trail not a problem. as for the coolant always check it for sure.
you will have the same problem with snow that has had rain on it and makes a crust.

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
cool. thx. since its completely different design I figured I would post

Interesting since lots of fresh pow to be kicked up but see ur point. 1st break in ride, so hadn't checked coolant yet...

handles a bit easier than my Nytro Haha. squirrelly rear end, but I was riding on glazed over plowed roads.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Fill the coolant bottle.
Mine was at the full cold mark and running hot. 150's on the trail.
Added 12oz of antifreeze (filled up to the cap neck) now 120-135° on the trail. Even towing a polaris for over 10miles on the trail.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Had my engine coolant light started flashing going down the trail with scratchers and found my cooler was iced over. Had to knock it off. It was mushy but it was cold enough outside to ice over cooler. Light went away right away.

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Fill the coolant bottle up

I have two 2018’s and have never been able to run them without ice scratchers due to overheating. Last weekend they both had the flashing light come on with the scratchers down. Yesterday I decided to fill the coolant bottles on both machines to the top as some members have suggested. Wow!!! Granted, we had great powder on the trail in but on the ride out the trail was getting fairly packed down. I did not run the scratchers on either machine and never came close to heating up. Thanks to all for the suggestion to think outside the box(owners manual):hail:

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
Some good advice here agreed. It could have been mine was still in break in mode but checked coolant level and added a bit and was much better after mild 5 or so before adding coolant. Wonder if the break in ratios make it run hotter? But at this point it seems much better

Premium Features