• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

e-Start installed on our Alpha

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
600 Alphas came with estart, couldn't get it on 800 models.
Local shop here (RK Motorworks in McCall) took e start off his girl's 600 and installed it on an 800. It took some wire harness work as I recall.
Odd how manufacturers do it with estart. I couldn't get my 15 600 XRS WITHOUT e-start, as well as my 16 Freeride 137.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks, that's good to know. I imagine it has a lot to do with keeping the weight of the sled as competitive as possible. The 800 faces some serious competition where the 600 is marketed at an entirely different rider type.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Swap

Thanks, that's good to know. I imagine it has a lot to do with keeping the weight of the sled as competitive as possible. The 800 faces some serious competition where the 600 is marketed at an entirely different rider type.

Sounds kinda crazy but some guys have bought Alpha Ones just to swap parts.
That's not something I think I'd do though.
The 2019 sleds work very good and the motors make good power and run crisp. The handle bars and switches are better. The head lights are better. The air intake is better. The shocks are better. Lots of pluses to the 2019 800cc Alpha Ones. So I'd just buy and ride a Alpha One.

I wish cat would have made electric start an option on the 800cc Alpha Ones.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
UpDate

So far its been pretty awesome. Sled sat in the trailer for 6 days. Temps were varied. -15C(5F) some overnights some -2C(28F) overnights. Temp was -2C(28F) when I started it after 6 days. I was totally surprised it fired. 100% impressed!!
We'll see what it does once we get colder temps again.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
COLD weather update

Ok, spent the weekend at the cabin. Sled started every time! Overnight temps were -32C. Im 100% sold on the Ucap tech. At least the one were using on the Alpha. Our Doo shot system works 100% also, but it be great if it could start the sled in the morning.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Is the wiring of the e-start with the Ucap the same as installing a battery? Just swapped the battery with the Ucap, I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Sorry don't have the ac part number. Yes the Ucap is wired in as it just replaces the battery. positive to positive neutral to neutral

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
I don't recall what the e-start kit costs. But the U cap was around $80

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I read somewhere that ultra capacitors don't like high vibration environments like near an engine. As cheap as they are its probably worth the experiment. They are light and don't suffer lower CCA's when cold like lithium batteries. They will probably last a long longer as well, zero maintenance also . Maybe Bearcode will report back here after a couple of years of use.

A buddy has a Shorai ( LFX14A1-BS12) $120 lithium in his 800 skidoo rated at 210 cca, it wont start a cold motor below 10 deg but it will start a warm one. It's only 1.6 lbs. You pull start in the morning and your good to go the rest of the day.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
The Ucaps have been working fine for three years now. Ive go them in a variety of stuff. By no means is it better or worse than a regular lead acid or lithium battery. Just wanted to try something different. But the lithium ones are not good when really cold.

T
Nov 3, 2017
Barcode, what ucap are you using now? Or is there one you recommend...looks like the one you used is no longer available. Thanks

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Serch eBay for "Ultracapacitor Supercapacitor Farad Capacitor Module 16V 60F". a bunch will show up. Or you can spend more$$ and go to Eaton or Maxwell they are very well known brand names of Super/Ultra cap manufacturers Just stay in the 16v 60F range

Cheers

Allan

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
How did you water seal the Capacitor? They have a printed circuit board inside and are quite susceptible to water damage. The case is not a good seal. I tried a 2 part silicon foam but it expanded too much and damaged the board after forcing the individual capacitors apart. I would recommend siliconing all the joints in the enclosure.

H
Jan 23, 2018
The Ucaps have been working fine for three years now. Ive go them in a variety of stuff. By no means is it better or worse than a regular lead acid or lithium battery. Just wanted to try something different. But the lithium ones are not good when really cold.
I know its been a few years now. I just picked up a 22 m8000 hardcord 146 (didnt have e-start option from factory) just wondering if you are still happy with the Ucaps? I might be looking at installing e-start on it and dont want to swap seats/ tanks.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Yup the one we have in our Alpha has been great. Work like a charm.

Premium Features