• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Monorail vs Ski-doo T-Motion

J

Jooohan87

Aug 28, 2011
So the monorail is here, soon we will know how it will work and how good it handle.
But all this years with Ski-Doos T-Motion I have heard alot of negative about it, people install t-motion limiters to get rid of the ”flex”.

So why will the Monorail work when the t-motion wont?
Will this work better?

Just a thought

vincebarnett

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2010
Fairbanks Ak
I’m thinking because skidoo only offers their machines with t-motion a lot of riders don’t want it but they will still buy a skidoo and aren’t happy with it, with the new cats You have a choice between a solid platform mountain cat, or super flexy skid on the alpha. Cat is giving the consumer great choices.

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
I´m a bit curious about what a replacement track will cost...........

Yah, I am also curious how those paddles will last where they end on the drive windows. Pretty sure all the current ones have the paddle going past the window so there isn't an edge to fail. It would have to fail mid-paddle. Just looks like it might be a failure point that is more prone to tearing than current configurations. Also curious of the possibility of tearing the drive rods out now that there is only a single window for the extrovert drivers to grab. It looks wider but still only have to break one location instead of two like current setups. On that same note, it will be interesting to see if guys break the rods if they land on a stump or just hit one off center. Has a lot more leverage on the rods now that there is 6ish inches hanging out there vs the 2ish of a normal sled. It doesn't look like the track is a "flex" track. Appears to have rigid rods all the way across. I am excited about the 3.5" pitch though. The 850s hook up well with their 3.5 pitch tracks. Hope they have demos before the snow goes away. A bit scared to buy one before I ride it. Just hope she isn't a floppy dildo!!

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
what I don't get about the single rail is the shock placement. id think it would have been better to mount one on each side instead of both being on the right. im not saying use four shocks but having the front on the right and the rear on the left. the way it its mounted now I believe will cause a lot of tortion in all the arms? it looks like itll break at the scissor point in the rear arm.

better yet, with all the engineers around why couldn't they mount them in the center? the beam could have been saddled with gusseted pockets for the mounts.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
what I don't get about the single rail is the shock placement. id think it would have been better to mount one on each side instead of both being on the right. im not saying use four shocks but having the front on the right and the rear on the left. the way it its mounted now I believe will cause a lot of tortion in all the arms? it looks like itll break at the scissor point in the rear arm.

better yet, with all the engineers around why couldn't they mount them in the center? the beam could have been saddled with gusseted pockets for the mounts.

Look at a Polaris .. take the rails off !!

Lay Barney in-between the rail mounts and Woh-laa .. Innovation!!

Copy of Holz just like a Pro . I wasn't surprised in the skid . But why Barney purple ??? I do like how they spelled out HCR but it sounds weenie !! I always thought it was Hill Climb Racer !

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Maybe this makes no sense but as a long time skier, when I was traversing on a sidehill, my skis were angled in to the hill like a sled skid that is solid as in a Polaris Axys (no t-motion or flex track). If I rotated my ankles so the ski bases were angled doan the hill, I would slide sideways down the hill. I think that biting into the hill is necessary to hold an edge. Just saying.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
T motion vs. Monorail

cat changed the game for people who like teeter totter sleds (and theres lots of them). not a baindaided skid here. simple and light.
checkmate!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Look at a Polaris .. take the rails off !!

Lay Barney in-between the rail mounts and Woh-laa .. Innovation!!

Copy of Holz just like a Pro . I wasn't surprised in the skid . But why Barney purple ??? I do like how they spelled out HCR but it sounds weenie !!

Cat used to have lots of purple sleds. Also, HCR stood for hill climb racer on the old sleds. The Hardcore was the overseas model that is available here now.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Maybe this makes no sense but as a long time skier, when I was traversing on a sidehill, my skis were angled in to the hill like a sled skid that is solid as in a Polaris Axys (no t-motion or flex track). If I rotated my ankles so the ski bases were angled doan the hill, I would slide sideways down the hill. I think that biting into the hill is necessary to hold an edge. Just saying.

Makes total sense. This is what I’m afraid of. The rear end washing out like the T-motion in super technical terrain.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

If you have one shock on each side of the rail, you might induce a twist along the length of the rail. If they are both on the same side you only have to deal with the localized reinforcement of the shock and arm mounts. Pockets are good ways to catch snow and form ice. Get a solid piece of ice in there, cycle the suspension all the way, and you might do some damage to the rail or shock. Dirt bike manufacturers are doing things like splitting the spring and valving between the two tubes of a fork so one side houses each. They don't seem to have too many problems come up from unequal loading. Just has to be accounted for like anything else. My $0.02.

I suspect Cat is still selling the standard Mountain Cat and the Mountain Cat Alpha for the two market groups: folks that want a rigid skid for techy maneuvers, and ones that just want a sled that pulls over easy.

Last edited:

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
You can’t compare the t-motion to the alpha skid. The t-motion skid flexes, then it’s flex edge track flex’s, the alpha is rigid. You can not lock out the alpha like a t-motion because there is nothing to lock out besides the rear track shock for keeping the nose down. The track moves and the rear axle and idlers slightly pivot with track

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
If you have one shock on each side of the rail, you might induce a twist along the length of the rail. If they are both on the same side you only have to deal with the localized reinforcement of the shock and arm mounts. Pockets are good ways to catch snow and form ice. Get a solid piece of ice in there, cycle the suspension all the way, and you might do some damage to the rail or shock. Dirt bike manufacturers are doing things like splitting the spring and valving between the two tubes of a fork so one side houses each. They don't seem to have too many problems come up from unequal loading. Just has to be accounted for like anything else. My $0.02.

I suspect Cat is still selling the standard Mountain Cat and the Mountain Cat Alpha for the two market groups: folks that want a rigid skid for techy maneuvers, and ones that just want a sled that pulls over easy.

im not a real fan of one on either side but it may help to share the load. I lost count years ago of how many front swing arms ive repaired, and those had everything mounted centered. granted this new single rail dosnt have the bottom end width of the traditional twin rail making as much leverage but realistically its only an inch less on either side.
all that gibberish aside, a center mounted shock would be ideal. as far as a place to catch snow, yes it will catch about two cups in both pockets. the beam could be made out of a thicker side wall and use the same bottom thickness. the sides could be formed to create the pocket and the bottom with a window for snow evacuation. use a center ported track like Polaris. this idea will make it a bit heavier but more durable probably function a bit better. the real weight loss is going to be the total snow evacuation anyway.
id like to ride one just to see if im correct in thinking its going to be real easy to carve left. probably just noticeably less carving right.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Nailed it.

As I posted elsewhere, I am guessing Textron saw this as a way to get some attention, and for a certain type of rider they will like it (EG, new riders, light riders who won't ever get after it in mega steep gnarly terrain)

For those looking to ride across the steepest hill with least amount of effort, this is not going to be your ticket.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska

Snow skis have smooth bottoms where as a track is not. There might be more traction with more of the track touching snow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
There would be more traction but it will still want to go downhill some depending on Conditions and possibly a lot if the whole track isn't dug into the sidehill.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
There would be more traction but it will still want to go downhill some depending on Conditions and possibly a lot if the whole track isn't dug into the sidehill.

Correct. It will wash down the hill pointing you up the hill. It will follow the path of least resistance.

If someone can somehow show me how I'm wrong, please, do....

Alpine Skiing in 3D snow is the same. You have control of your skis based off varying the surface area of the ski to control lift (or lack thereof). When you roll onto your edge of a ski, you have less overall lift and the ski cuts into the snow giving you control. Some ski companies have played with this to some extent. The result is ***more wash out!!*** (see: Shane McConkey - McConkey Turn) which in skiing can be super fun. In sledding, not so much.

It may be a fun ride, but its not going to be a more capable ride. I'll be a lot of money on that one. Any takers?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You aren't wrong but there are some variable here that nobody knows without riding it. There is also more to the equation than steep sidehills. Climbing up steep stuff you might turn and there are shelves and tree wells and a variety of things. Not just a steep all day sidehill. I bet it also kind of levels itself in the trench. More of a spring or crappy snow issue.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Correct. It will wash down the hill pointing you up the hill. It will follow the path of least resistance.

If someone can somehow show me how I'm wrong, please, do....

Alpine Skiing in 3D snow is the same. You have control of your skis based off varying the surface area of the ski to control lift (or lack thereof). When you roll onto your edge of a ski, you have less overall lift and the ski cuts into the snow giving you control. Some ski companies have played with this to some extent. The result is ***more wash out!!*** (see: Shane McConkey - McConkey Turn) which in skiing can be super fun. In sledding, not so much.

It may be a fun ride, but its not going to be a more capable ride. I'll be a lot of money on that one. Any takers?

blah blah :typing:

Premium Features