• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 Apex - Turbo or Super Charger

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just picked up a stock 07 Apex MTX SE. I may leave the motor stock, or I may not?

I was wondering if I would need a head shim to run a turbo with 12-15 pounds of boost?

I was also wondering if maybe a supercharger might be better for picking around in the trees (boondocking)?

What do you guys recommend?

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have had both super and turbo in a Phazer and super in a Nytro. Super slams hard from a start and turbo picks up later, might sound like super is better for trees but it comes on so strong I prefer turbo for trees. The super pulls your arms on take off though and is hands down the winner in the fun category!

djones000buck

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2010
Birch Run, Michigan
In regards to the head shim, focus on what octane fuel you have available and are committed to run, and what elevation you will ride at. In order to install either kit on a stock sled the head will be pretty accessible, the incremental cost for doing it during the install would be less than a couple hundred bucks and 30 minutes versus deciding later. If I wanted those boost numbers I'd be shimming, but I'm out east east running down low.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys. I may run it stock for a while and see how it works. I have a 162 x 16 x 2.5" track on the way and was wondering if a 3" would fit on the sled with the stock drivers? Also, I am looking for a set of heavy hitters for the sled and some good clutching recipes. I wish I had saved my RX - 1 tunning book and not gave it to the gentleman that bought the sled. I can't remember what clutch springs work best either. Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Thanks guys. I may run it stock for a while and see how it works. I have a 162 x 16 x 2.5" track on the way and was wondering if a 3" would fit on the sled with the stock drivers? Also, I am looking for a set of heavy hitters for the sled and some good clutching recipes. I wish I had saved my RX - 1 tunning book and not gave it to the gentleman that bought the sled. I can't remember what clutch springs work best either. Any guidance you could provide would be appreciated.

Turbocharger unless you want to pack an extra tank of fuel for the day!, the guys I knew with super chargers had to pack at least 20L of fuel as they ate up fuel down the trail from being in boost.

Otherwise they say a turbo pulls harder in the long run and up top over a super charger, as well as keeping the sled's good fuel milage down the trails, if your setup is good the turbo will catch up fairly quick anyways. I have a 06 apex and got probably all sorts of stupid issues so I seem to deal with like a solid 1-2 secs of lag, but I don't mind it, most say its usually 1 sec max when your warmed up.

and as far as I can say, a 3" will not fit on the apex with out a drop and roll of the chain case. I can't remember my drivers tooth count but my 2.5" is so close to rubbing the front heat exchanger and rubs the exhaust Y pipes off the headers a bit as well....

And if you are a fairly handy guy, I'd recommend to shim the head, that way your good for the ~290,300hp on 91 pump gas. I'm not sure how many # of boost that would be but mine on head shim and I run 94 octane for safety, I end up having it at 18# some days, I was told 15 or so is 290 hp..? but It usually has so much power I honestly don't keep ontop of that lol.

Last edited:
H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
good to see you back on blue Frosty. I still have my RX1. I honestly dont remember whats in it. Heavy hitters loaded up. 47 deg helix black erlandson secondary spring. I have a 162x16x2.3

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
If you have access to race gas or 100ll av gas you could run 12-15 lbs without a head shim. there is very little if any lag on a well set up turbo on stock compression. This also depends on turbo size and gearing. It will have much more bottom end but you will not be able to run as much boost without a shim. 15 lbs is more than most riders will ever have the nuts to ride to its full potential. They will have the nuts in the bar after riding but not at the bottom of a chute or huge climb. That's why I run 12-14 lbs. 50% 110 octane 50% 92 octane. You will never regret having too much octane but you surely will regret not having enough

Premium Features