• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKI DOO OIL TANK CAP... A $14.99 alternative

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Day one:
35 miles on the odometer. 5.8 Gallons of fuel. 16 oz of oil used for a 46:1 ratio with the stock cap.

Day two:
37 miles on the odometer. 6.0 Gallons of fuel. 27 oz of oil used for a 28.5:1 ratio with a vented cap. When I looked back at every hill climbed, it was reminiscent of my undies after a long night of Low Life pitchers and wings. I plan on adjusting the oil pump and shooting for 35:1.

Thanks Esh!

THIS is what the discussion needs now. Empirical data & lots of it!

We've had enough debate, supposition, & conjecture. LOL!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Does anyone know if the oil cap on the 2014 800 Pro is the same cap as the one's that were on the 2007 600's?
The reason I am asking is I had one 2007 600 burn down once and my other one went down twice. The Polaris dealer told me the oil pumps were working properly on both sleds at the time. The dealer blamed it on the oil. (Interceptor)
I brought a oil sample into Amsoil for testing and they told me there is nothing wrong with the oil. Keep in mind that these were the so called bullet proof motors at the time. So my question is could have it been an oil cap problem?
I never did get an answer from the dealer.
The first time was in Togwotee, the second time was in WI, and the third time was in MN.
On another note it is scary how little oil my 2013, and 2014 use. I will spend the extra $30 for two caps! :noidea:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Does anyone know if the oil cap on the 2014 800 Pro is the same cap as the one's that were on the 2007 600's?
The reason I am asking is I had one 2007 600 burn down once and my other one went down twice. The Polaris dealer told me the oil pumps were working properly on both sleds at the time. The dealer blamed it on the oil. (Interceptor)
I brought a oil sample into Amsoil for testing and they told me there is nothing wrong with the oil. Keep in mind that these were the so called bullet proof motors at the time. So my question is could have it been an oil cap problem?
I never did get an answer from the dealer.
The first time was in Togwotee, the second time was in WI, and the third time was in MN.
On another note it is scary how little oil my 2013, and 2014 use. I will spend the extra $30 for two caps! :noidea:

Yes the 2007 used cap #1240094 (according to the Polaris online Fiche) and that same part number is still the one listed on all the current sleds. FWIW

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
First my thanks to TRS for this thought provoking post. Regarding 2 stroke motors, the one thing that everyone can agree on is that EPA regulations were not designed for engine longevity. Oil usage has been reduced on Poo and Doo, Cat not as much, until the release of their new 600. Doo and Cat used DI to achieve the reduction, to simplify Poo dropped 2 oil injectors [CFI4 Vs CFI2].
Many people have reported an increase in oil consumption simply by venting the tank [Geo mod, aftermarket caps, direct venting] all these mods came about as a way to increase oiling to the motor and to eliminate a perceived oil starvation problem.
I have no doubt that the current stock Poo sled is precisely oiled and will give good service life as delivered and meet EPA requirements in the ideal riding scenario. That being said there is no room for error with a cap that has enough restriction to pull a vacuum, anyone who has owned a Pro or been around them has heard the vacuum being broken when opening the cap.
My previous 2012 600 Pro, when new, had an urgent recall done to remove a potential air bubble from the oil feed line, I watched the procedure, the first thing the tech did was to remove the oil tank cap before holding the pump open to burp the system.
I have read several instances of turning the sled on its side to service it, or removing the oil tank and introducing a fatal air bubble into the oil injection system, this then in turn starves the engine. Had the tank been vented the pump would have been able to burp itself and the bubble would have been of no consequence.
I subscribe to the thought that fairly lean ratio [50-1] is possible and still have a measure of durability. With the electronic oil injection on the horizon, this simple mod seems like a brilliant way to quietly overcome the handcuffs placed on Polaris's existing technology.

Actually they stopped using 4 smaller capacity FUEL injectors in favor of 2 larger capacity FUEL injectors. The CFI engines still have the same amount of oil injectors. Just an FYI.

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
I put the skidoo oil caps on my '13 pro and '15 my rmk le. I couldnt get rid of tank bubble at fitting on '15. I am running mixed gas thank god! Ran pro this weekend, broke trail...low speeds, used lots of oil! On a side note, the engine seemed like it had another, say 12 HP, and sounded like a f250 diesel at idle, and the sled became unflickable and couldn't dangle... ;)

Last edited:

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Clamlake600 - did the bubble in the oil line at the fitting go away once you added the skidoo cap? I have NOT tried the skidoo cap yet but am thinking of doing it on my 14 holdover 800. I only have 72 miles on it so far and I just noticed a bubble in the oil line right at the fitting on the oil tank. I am assuming having a bubble is NOT normal??? or a good thing??

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
Clamlake600 - did the bubble in the oil line at the fitting go away once you added the skidoo cap? I have NOT tried the skidoo cap yet but am thinking of doing it on my 14 holdover 800. I only have 72 miles on it so far and I just noticed a bubble in the oil line right at the fitting on the oil tank. I am assuming having a bubble is NOT normal??? or a good thing??

Normal on a new sled..dealer told me they set tank side up on stand to work that bubble out. Worked on '13... There was a service bulletin out for the 600 years ago..any air in the oil lines is bad. Make sure u are running mixed gas! My '15 still has bubble...thinking about pulling tank to see if any crap is blocking the flow through fitting...I want it gone!!

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Would you want to suck out the majority of the oil first, then take off lid, raise the left side of sled to see if bubble will come out?

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Had dealer turn up my oil pump on 2010 700 1.5 turns past factory setting, said when they went in there it was set below the factory tic marks with the factory loctite still in tact. I'm ordering a cap tonight I assume it will fit on a iq.

Thanks for the tip!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Had dealer turn up my oil pump on 2010 700 1.5 turns past factory setting, said when they went in there it was set below the factory tic marks with the factory loctite still in tact. I'm ordering a cap tonight I assume it will fit on a iq.

Thanks for the tip!

On the IQs, the oil pump needs to be timed with throttle movement. This is an adjustment that is overlooked by dealers and consumers alike. Timing the movement is time consuming and must be performed for proper oil delivery and consumption.

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
On the IQs, the oil pump needs to be timed with throttle movement. This is an adjustment that is overlooked by dealers and consumers alike. Timing the movement is time consuming and must be performed for proper oil delivery and consumption.

So can I assume turning up pump threw timing off?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
So can I assume turning up pump threw timing off?

Because the 2010 700 oil pump is cable operated the slack in each cable needs to be addressed, throttle and oil pump. When you adjust for throttle cable play it changes the oil pump, you may also witness more stretch in one cable over the other. Its not complicated but the adjustment must be performed properly

image.jpg

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Sounds good... I'll have to get a few. Did the Geo mod last spring (with a bigger hole than he did) and while I didn't have a problem with the little bit of riding I got after I did it I tipped one on its side in the shop last weekend and it took about 15min to get a dribble to come out. I'm thinking once the oil is engine bay warm it will come out faster.

Mine leaks all over the side panel when warm and I roll it over to get unstuck.

Gornodav

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Novosibirsk, Russia
Hello guys! Best regards from Russia!
From the begining i'd like to apologize for my bad English)
My questions:
Does anybody have a good experience using XPS oil tank cap in real conditions? Would the oil comsumption to be increased?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Oil cap

Not sure if I'm the only one or not but my sled blew up soon after I installed this cap on my sled. after tearing my sled apart trying to figure out why. I could see it was an oil problem! I found my cap was not venting at all. I had zero oil flow with the cap installed open the cap and oil would flow fine tighten up the cap and oil would stop flowing to just a drip. It's the Xrs cap and it had the little green rubber piece in it, I ordered it right from the dealer. I hope this was just a defective cap. I drilled the cap and put the skidoo check valve in the cap (out of the early doos with the non vented cap and vent in the tank) instead of drilling my oil tank I hope that works.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
So the only person to report actually using this cap, blew his sled up??? What are the reports guys?

TIA

Premium Features