• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trouble with turbos

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Maybe the aero setup are busy riding instead of dorking around with a camera?

Imo they don't make the power that they could (I'm one of those "greedy" people Scottbilt mentions) but they run great & seem to be consistent from the ones I see around here.

I've ridden other setups with more power, but OF WHAT I'VE SEEN, the aero setup is a smooth runner.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The point about the weight is proportionate to the ability of the rider. Its common sense. You want to buy from someone who rides what they sell. Bolting your junk on a sponsees sled doesn't count. How much chute climbing do you think a 275lb person can have under their belt? You have to be in shape and on your game. Aero knows squat about mountain machines. Flatland sea level machines, maybe there is a market for the uneducated turbo purchaser.
How can a non rider diagnose any issues should they come up? Thats right, they can't. The non rider shop will just point fingers at everyones else which is exactly what aero does.
You should go buy an aero right away. Lemme how that works out for ya.
You tube "top secret shop" and watch the vids. Then you tube aerocharger and tell me what is performing better. TSS sleds are dialed. In fact, with the fuel system that aero tried to buy(unsuccessfully) but now say its "dumb." Pay real close attention around the midrange. Anyone who has skill can drive through an engine bog. Also notice the aero burping at full throttle. They are burping the throttle to hide the bog and detonation.
The comparison is that TSS builds AND rides. Aero brass does not ride terrain remotely close to what TSS does, therefore how in the world can aero claim to have a clutch kit and fuelling options for a real mountain sled? Simple, they cannot.
So, if your at sea level, maybe aero is for you. It just doesn't make sense why someone would risk having to pay $1000-$2000 for a rebuild when you can buy a new turbo that is available worldwide for $1000-1300 all day long.
Like I said, order yourself a brand spanking new aero but don't feel stupid when a garrett of any kit builder leaves you in the snow dust.
If you wanna pretend to be cool and be a bragging bar star, aero is great for that.
If you wanna win and go fast, Garrett.
As always, the above is my opinion and my beliefs.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The point about the weight is proportionate to the ability of the rider. Its common sense. You want to buy from someone who rides what they sell. Bolting your junk on a sponsees sled doesn't count. How much chute climbing do you think a 275lb person can have under their belt? You have to be in shape and on your game. Aero knows squat about mountain machines. Flatland sea level machines, maybe there is a market for the uneducated turbo purchaser.
How can a non rider diagnose any issues should they come up? Thats right, they can't. The non rider shop will just point fingers at everyones else which is exactly what aero does.
You tube "top secret shop" and watch the vids. Then you tube aerocharger and tell me what is performing better. TSS sleds are dialed. In fact, with the fuel system that aero tried to buy(unsuccessfully) but now say its "dumb." Pay real close attention around the midrange. Anyone who has skill can drive through an engine bog. Also notice the aero burping at full throttle. They are burping the throttle to hide the bog and detonation.
The comparison is that TSS builds AND rides. Aero brass does not ride terrain remotely close to what TSS does, therefore how in the world can aero claim to have a clutch kit and fuelling options for a real mountain sled? Simple, they cannot.
So, if your at sea level, maybe aero is for you. It just doesn't make sense why someone would risk having to pay $1000-$2000 for a rebuild when you can buy a new turbo that is available worldwide for $1000-1300 all day long.
Like I said, order yourself a brand spanking new aero but don't feel stupid when a garrett of any kit builder leaves you in the snow dust.
If you wanna pretend to be cool and be a bragging bar star, aero is great for that.

That is so well put I am going to get one tomorrow. Hopefully they will take my crumby BoonDocker in on trade!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Well, the guys in CO are generally installed by Felkers... could care less about who makes them, but Calvin & crew seem to be ok at riding, that's what I've heard anyhow...

My last boosted cat was a Cutler, built by Dale, who doesn't even really ride according to guys I know that live there, he's more just the engineer/ tinkerer type. That said, if you want boost on a cat, it's still the kit I recommend.

There's more to it than appearances, and anyone with common sense could guess that perhaps there's more than one person involved with the kits. I wouldn't buy one, IMO not enough power for the cost (they're stupid expensive imo) but for someone looking for a consistent pump gas setup, that big fat dude must be doing something right ;) (haven't seen the video(s?) you refer to, so going by your description on this one)

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Our techs love to ride and get out as much as possible, but they can't dangle like Kuster, Felker, Mentaberry, etc. Those guys are beasts and their experience in the field with our products is a major part of our R&D. Even the OEMs have their core test riders and consultants. Aerocharger's been around for a while now, and we've got an effective brain trust between engineering, dealers, and the backcountry guys.

Here's some of em running up Jackson this year.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
why don't you just personally aim that attack @ Brad. i think it would save you the wording beating around the bush.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Love the "proprietary" midrange bogs at 1:13 and 1:15. Sled almost fell flat on it's face!!!!!!!!!!!!Bahahahahahahahahaha! Maybe aero's trying the honesty approach now.
Don't forget 1:40, 2:47, 3:06 and 3:08, nice burbles rt there.
If someone thinks these sleds are dialed they are on glue.
R&D needs to go back to the drawing board. Big time.
Play all the music you want, dress it up, put lipstick on it, do some interviews of a sponsored rider( do you really think he's gonna tell his sponsor that the turbo sucks?), whatever aero thinks will work.
Now you tube "yamafest 2013 with top secret shop" and also "etec top secret shop." You will see how a sled should run. Yes, thats a turboed skidoo going where the turboed yami's are going. TSS rides insane AND builds for riders. They cannot afford to have a bog or stumble with their turbo. Their lives depend on it. Their climbs clearly show this.
Aero can only dream of having a sled that runs like these.
Funny how I posted that a skillful aero rider can drive through a midrange bog and that an aero rider will hide the detonation and burbles by burping the throttle at high rpm......and then aero posts a vid of exactly what I described!!
These are my beliefs and opinions!

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Love the "proprietary" midrange bogs at 1:13 and 1:15. Sled almost fell flat on it's face!!!!!!!!!!!!Bahahahahahahahahaha! Maybe aero's trying the honesty approach now.
Don't forget 1:40, 2:47, 3:06 and 3:08, nice burbles rt there.
If someone thinks these sleds are dialed they are on glue.
R&D needs to go back to the drawing board. Big time.
Play all the music you want, dress it up, put lipstick on it, do some interviews of a sponsored rider( do you really think he's gonna tell his sponsor that the turbo sucks?), whatever aero thinks will work.
Now you tube "yamafest 2013 with top secret shop" and also "etec top secret shop." You will see how a sled should run. Yes, thats a turboed skidoo going where the turboed yami's are going. TSS rides insane AND builds for riders. They cannot afford to have a bog or stumble with their turbo. Their lives depend on it. Their climbs clearly show this.
Aero can only dream of having a sled that runs like these.
Funny how I posted that a skillful aero rider can drive through a midrange bog and that an aero rider will hide the detonation and burbles by burping the throttle at high rpm......and then aero posts a vid of exactly what I described!!
These are my beliefs and opinions!
go talk to yourself somewhere else, there was an actual conversation going on here before you showed up.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Did any of you yo yo's notice fred hasnt been back since he started this thread ?

EVERY person has the right to post and speak their minds wether we ALL like it or not. some have flipped flop like paid spokesmodels,, others have balls and speak the truth..

NO balls NO bucks !!!
then others spend hours manipulating texts and emails with photoshop rather than spend the 4 minutes to produce the facts to back their advertisement.

common sense and business sense tells you right away who has character and who has ?? salesmanship,, or Bull ****..

thats why Impulse and TSS get the top nods.. they arent tied up being nice to the salesman.. no need. no tie.. no problem...

Electro boost to the rescue !!!

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
But hey guys, wasn`t it piston failure on his sled? And parts came through his turbo? Am i missing something here or what? If that is the case, well then i think this thread should be closed for sure.. But first thing first, why the h... didnt you talk to cmx that sold you that sled?

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
another option if ur on a budget is to build ur own carbed one with a bit of know how. I built mine for 1400 including head machining with all used components and I bet itd give some of the newer kits a run for their money. ive had about an hour total of on mountain tinkering this yr.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Nope, turbo caused the damage.
Funny, I talked to a guy today who ran aerocharger on his skidoo for many years. He used to carry pistons in his backpack when he went sledding because he went thru so many. Instead of losing a day due to breakdown, he would take 2 hrs and change his pistons and keep riding. Aero didn't work back then and they don't work now.
That turbo is kill somebody someday when it bogs or grenades an engine during a big climb. Then we will see the lawsuits fly. They should leave the sled game. No, actually, they should stay in. It's entertaining!!!!!
The above is my opinion and my beliefs.

Wheelhouse I think there's an aerocharger leg for you to hump out in the field. Better yet, install an aerocharger on a customers sled and plaster your company name all over the sled. Let me know how many customers will be beating down your door wanting one!

Sorry to the OP for hijacking his thread. I hope he got as much humor from it as i did. I admit, I am a yoyo.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Kane, funny thing is, I don't run aero stuff, nor do i desire it, hell, i've personally smoked the bearings in one, BUT, deny it as you will, their new kits work pretty damn well on the XM! Were not talking used CMX sled you bought, were talking production aero kits. I have personally rode with a few and helped a few other guys set them up. Not they don't have the top end of an automotive powered kit, but they work darn good!

Funny you mention that people coming after me from setup, I went and did the initial ride for two brothers with turbo XM's running aero kits. making sure everything was running spot on. Changed a few numbers to help them run exactly how either one wanted, reworked some gearing for their riding styles. Neither of them are mechanics. they are good at putting gas in and riding, they can fix **** in a bind, but are NOT turbo tuners by any stretch of the imagination. Both have my cell phone number and my phone hasn't rang once all season since I did that ride, how is that possible?! maybe they bogged off a cliff and both died, oh wait, nope, chatted with them the other day on their way through town, loving life and racking up the boosted smiles.

Again, for lower boost and clean install, I think aero all the way, its what they do best. for flat out power and performance I would be looking a number of different directions, at this point personally I would go with Paul from Impulses kit as he has put some killer parts together and he has the most advanced piggback setup of anyone on the market right now. I have always applauded his work on the yamaha units for top notch kit building/design and he has brought his game over to the doo world now.

I am far from a leg humper, but you are doing nothing but finding every aero thread and bogging it down with your personal vendetta against aerocharger over a moronic scenario. From reading your accounts of things, as well as getting to talk with Brad from Aero @ the Jackson hillclimbs, your right, everything is everyone elses fault... were sorry, we all owe you something.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
And as for XM's that gurgle on the bottem end.

its not just for turbo ones. I have rode a number of XM's running various aftermarket cans and they ALL have the same stumble. if you molest the stock exhaust your playing with fire and 99% of the units that don't just set engagement super high WILL run into this audible stumble 9 out of 10 times.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Did you just say 9 out 10 sleds with an aftermarket can have an audible stumble?
Wtf is an audible stumble? You mean the seriuos bog where the aero fell flat on its face at the Jackson hole hillclimb. You really need to grow a set instead of defending an obviously crappy running sled. Since your so good at tuning aeros you should offer your infinite wisdom to aero. With all the delusion, smoke and mirrors you will fit right in. Its guys like you who are gonna cause a serious accident when your "audible stumble" happens when sidehilling above a 100ft rock cliff.
Go tune some flat landers sleds and pat yourself on the back.
Obviously you have little experience tuning sleds because you feel need the need to toot your own horn and insult other people to make yourself feel good.
You crank up the engagement to cover up a bog? Now its hard on clutches, belt and gears. Nice. Kinda like turning up the volume on a radio to cover up a vehicle exhaust rattle. Now that's moronic.
I have no personal vendetta against aero. The product doesnt work. Never has, never will They don't owe me a dime, nor will they get a dime from me or anyone I know. I'm participating in a public forum and practicing free speech as our constitutional rights. If you don't like it, don't read it. There are other countries that don't allow free speech. You are most certainly welcome to move to one of your choice.
Kinda funny how you hear one side of a story, which according to aero it's a moronic situation.
Aero is extremely talented at spinning situations, pointing fingers away from themselves You yourself fell for it. Why did the two riders come to you for support with their aero? Ill tell you why. Aero couldn't help them because they don't have the knowledge and the product is unfixable.
I hear there's a bunch of trail riders lining up to get their aero tuned by you.
Op wanted to know the trouble with turbos. The trouble with turbos are people like you who are too scared to tell the truth about some turbos and this in turn costs sledders thousands and puts people at serious risk of injury. You should be ashamed of yourself.
All the the above is my belief.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Go tune some flat landers sleds and pat yourself on the back.
Obviously you have little experience tuning sleds.

Curious as to how they became flatlander sleds. dialed in unloading @6k and playing up to 9k isn't exactly the midwest. But everyone else is blowing smoke. not you..... Your expertise is obviously superior on tuning as well.

I have no personal vendetta against aero. The product doesnt work. Never has, never will.

Nope? Never? You do realize they sell at least 100+ etec kits per year since 2011.... plus polaris units. plus rzr... harley, etc. They aren't my favorite thing ever, but they make plenty, and they run, how many turbo kits have you built? How many are out on the snow?

Why did the two riders come to you for support with their aero? Ill tell you why. Aero couldn't help them because they don't have the knowledge and the product is unfixable.
I hear there's a bunch of trail riders lining up to get their aero tuned by you.
Nope, they wanted someone who could come and ride with them and help set up their sleds in all aspects while on the hill, suspension, fueling, clutching, etc. Everyone has a different style and preference, and everything can be tweaked to be made better for them. What better way then someone on the hill with you setting it up with them? Seems like the most direct way to achieve results.

And again, how have these fellas suddenly become trail riders?

I have no problem with free speech, im participating just as equally as you are. Just remember, slandering a company is a lot different then having an opposing opinion.

J

JoJack

Jan 12, 2013
Kanedog, take your personal issues with aero somewhere else... This is why guys like me don't go to this site anymore because of all the childish unprofessional BS on this site .. Go to any other forum and there is an overall level of respect for each other's opinions etc..our moderators must be asleep because these rants are getting old. You've taken it too far and need to shut up now.. We get it, you and GUS are the top two haters of aero turbos... We get it.. Move on and let's find something positive and meaningful to discuss.

Premium Features