• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hey guys, could use some help keeping our riding open

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I am hoping some of my Yammi Boost Brothers might be able to help us keep my riding open. It's on the chopping block to get closed to sledding unless we can convince them to keep it open.

Here is the info. to get to the CLEARWATER NF COLLABORATIVE EMAIL COMMENTS

Google Clearwater National Forest, click onto the heading that notes the forest plan revision, click onto the collaborative email section, follow directions.

Here is the link:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nezperceclearwater/landmanagement/planning/?cid=stelprdb5398165

As you will see the Mtn. Bike people have been quite active. Snowmobilers need to be heard . There has been none to date! The object of this comment blitz is to convince the Forest Supervisor, Rick Brazell that the Great Burn has historically been used by snowmobilers since the late 70's. Snowmobiler activity has not caused any damage to the area over that period of time. There is no evidence of snowmobile activity after the snow melts, and there are no user conflicts in the winter.

I can't guarantee the results of this email effort but in view of the fact the FS is using a snowmobiler prepared map as a baseline for discussion leads me to conclude that they are now serious about making boundary changes to accommodate us.

Timing is everything. The next CNF collaborative meeting is May 18 and 19. The agenda is DESIGNATION OF AREAS. Your email needs to be sent prior to that meeting to help influence the tone of that discussion.

If you have trouble accessing the site contact me stanspencer@montana.com and I'll try help you.

Isn't it worth 5 minutes of your time to help keep the Great Burn open to snowmobiles??

Suggested talking points for comments:

1) State the various areas you have ridden in the great Burn including Beaver Ridge and number of years riding in them.

2) State reasons you like to ride in the Gt. Burn. (EG) solitude, challenge, scenery or any other reasons that come to mind

3) State what you see, or do not see (EG) 'DO NOT SEE' other winter users, virtually no wildlife.

4) What impact will permanent closure have on you as a snowmobiler?. Will you quit snowmobiling?, Do you have alternate backcountry areas to ride?. Will you be happy being restricted to trail riding?.

5) Do you see potential conflicts if snowmobilers are consolidated into smaller areas that may include cross country skiers and/or many more snowmobiles in one area.

6) List any other reasons why you feel the Great Burn should be kept open to snowmobiling.

7) suggest the historic snopwmobile riding areas be designated : PRIMITIVE MOTORIZED-WINTER USE

Premium Features