• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dumb question

B
Jan 25, 2010
Ronald Washington
im new to the turbo world so I have a lot of questions................ sooooo I have an blown up apex with a boondockers kit.(for sale) so heres the Q

Could I take the turbo its self and put it on say an arctic cat m1100 turbo so I get more power............be easy on me im just asking hahaha

I would have a professional do the work. if its possible

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
You certainly could put the turbo on an Arctic Cat 1100, but you won't get the power that the boosted Apex had.

Arctic Cat had high hopes for the 1100 four stroke, but it isn't producing the power that they had hoped for when boosted. It can still produce a respectable amount of power (I've been hearing 250 hp can be expected from a boosted Arctic Cat 1100. I'm sure you could squeeze more out if you wanted, but I expect the engine will grenade if you push it too far.), but not what the three and four cylinder boosted four strokes will.

I have no evidence to offer other than observation and what I've read, but it seems that the more cylinders you have, the more horsepower you will get per cubic centimeter.

For example, a four cylinder Yamaha Apex engine is 998 cc and produces about 160 hp stock. A three cylinder Yamaha Nytro engine is 1049 cc and produces about 130 hp stock, even though it has 51 cc more than the Apex engine. This holds true when boosted as well.

I don't know the physics behind it, but when you throw more cylinders into the equation, you seem to get more horsepower. This was apparent when the two stroke triples hit the scene. A lot of riders still covet their two stroke triples and will hang on to them until they can no longer be rebuilt.

I have a friend that spent big bucks on an 2013 1100T. He was really discouraged when he climbed on another friends 2006 supercharged Apex with a 310 kit. The Apex was used and cost my friend $7,500. I have no idea what the 1100T cost, but I would guess it was north of $15,000. My friend with the 1100T was griping that he could have had a lot more horsepower for far less money if he bought a used boosted Apex, but he doesn't like Yamaha. His complaint was that he expected more power for the money he spent.

If it's any consolation, the 1100T may have better handling characteristics than the Apex. But if horsepower is what you want, a boosted Apex is hard to beat.

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
the turbo itself will work but most other parts would not,you would need a diff intercooler piping oil lines & fueling box to name a few.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Dunno what turbo the m1100t uses but I bet it's different, you can't just swap out the turbos the piping will be different and whenever you are changing components in a turbo system, the fuelling tune needs to change and usually it requires a programmer box

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
after rereading i thought you wanted to put the whole kit,the turbo should fit & work,the apex turbo should be a 2860.you mite have to do something with the outlet side to fit existing piping.as for power it will make a bunch more than the stock one & is good up about 18-20lbs boost depending on elevation.you may have a 2554 turbo on there too you will have to find that out & it wont make allot more than the stock one,some of the early boon kits came with the 2554.oh & you will still have to do something with your fueling.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
that depends on the type of fuel you run & how much boost not sure what the 1100 will take on stock motor.the 2860 is a way better turbo for mtn riding than the small stock one.you should call evolution & talk with them they have allot of experience with the 1100t & would be able to better point you in the right direction.

Premium Features