• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

av gas blend or race fuel

G
Nov 26, 2007
I know this has probably been talked to death, but as i left my local shop this week and they said they had rebuilt 57 motors this season and he could really on point to the possiblity of the ethanal blend he recommended me to run a 10 percent blend of race fuel in my machines, now this is a polaris and skidoo dealer not saying this is yamaha related but i was wondering if there was any opinion on blending every tank with av gas or race fuel? I have a 2010 nytro push turbo and really want this thing to last. Make myself clear i am not looking for performance improvement just peace of mind if all i can get it ethanol fuel.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Run AV 100LL fuel. Not much more than premium and WAY less than race fuel. Ran it in my turbos for a couple years without any problems. Smells nice also.JMO

H

hottshot

As a Pilot and a boosted sled owner I run 100LL in pretty much all, the thing you have to watch in the lead fouling. The fix is to run a little MMO (Marvel's Mistery Oil) To keep the lead from sticking to your plugs valve guides/seats and O2 sensors . Hope that helps! :face-icon-small-coo

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I ran straight AV 100LL in my turbo for several years.

Mix as little or as much as you want. Figure out how much octane you need and error on the high side and run it.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Supercharged 12 pounds boost here in a Nytro. I found race gas mix with prem unleaded with ethanol I had an odd lag off idle and sometimes mid range.

Ran the mix Mike at Grand Mesa Lodge has in his tanks and NO PROBLEM! Lag gone! He has an av gas mix with premium unleaded WITHOUT ethanol and for me that appears to be the answer. Ran this same mix in my turboed Phazer and it too showed performance gains.

So thumbs up for av gas here too!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I've been running Avgas for years- highly recommend

here in the states right now it's about $6 a gallon, I run 10 lbs of boost on my m8- no det ever

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Safety!!!

It never hurts to run safe. 100LL is a good fuel for a lot of applications. I have run 91 at 10-12lbs with no probs. I run 100LL at 17 lbs and still no probs. Depends on Motor (compression/timing set up) work so you should ask your engine builder his recomendations. If you know the octane req'd and want to blend, you can use the formula:

(l1xO1) + (l2xO2)

(l1 + l2)

Where: l1 = liters of 1st fuel
O1 = Octane of 1st fuel

l2 = liters of 2nd fuel
O2 = Octane of second fuel

This will tell you what the octane of the fuel will be after blending.

Another thing to remember... Octane does not always mean HP gains. Timing and compression are req'd for higher octanes to perform properly and boost is a very large factor in compression which is why octane IS important.

FYI... hope it helps!!!

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Y
Nov 25, 2009
Spearfish SD
I run mine at roughly 5,500 feet at 10lbs when I get up into 7k plus without any adjustments im at roughly 12 to 13lbs of boost. that being said the last 3 years ive mixed 50/50, 91 octane and 100 ave gas. No issues yet. I have however read on some speed boat forums that you need to add some lube to your fuel, but I have yet to do so.. so if anyone has some insight or advice on if I do need to Id appreciate it.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
They call avgas a dry fuel because it has additives to keep water out, that is where the term "dry" comes from. Avgas is one of the most consistant fuels you will find. It is low lead which means that it has some lead for lube, 91 obviously is unleaded. The dryness people refer to in avgas means that it has gone through great lengths to keep water out. It is not referring to the lubricant qualities as it has more "lube" than 91 unleaded. I run it and mix it with pump fuel and prefer it over 110 race fuel.

Premium Features