• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My thoughts on the 2014 Standard RMK Vs the 2014 PRO RMK.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
NOTE: I've been getting a lot of requests for thoughts on this subject... thought I'd put it up here for people to ponder that are ordering a 2014 Snowcheck.

=========================================

For people considering a 2014 155" Polaris PRO-Chassis sled ... I'd say, with confidence, to go with the Standard RMK. Contrary to some beliefs... you can still get the snowcheck "bonus" on the Standard models and longer warranty.

picture.php

picture.php

The Standard and Assault do not come in a 163" which is only available in the PRO RMK model... If you are the kind of person that changes their track anyway... putting a 163" track on the standard is an easy swap.... but not, admittedly, as easy as when you simply want a 155"

The same:
1) Running boards
2) Engine
3) Clutching
4) Seat (std is all black)
5) Tunnel-roof cooler
6) Track
7) Rear Suspension (less shocks of course... all else about the skid is the same)
8) Skis
9) Throttle block and kill switch block. (very slight angle diff on kill switch)
10) Exhaust pipe and muffler

Different:
1) Bonded A-Arms (PRO) vs. time tested Welded A-arms ( I prefer the welded)
2) QuickDrive™ belt drive (PRO) vs. Chaindrive (Std).
3) Bonded Aluminum Driveshaft with collar (PRO) vs. Welded/Hydroformed shaft
4) Handlebars
6) Steering post
7) Brake master cylinder and electrical control location.
8) Bulkhead heat exhchanger (cooler)... yes on Standard, no on the pro
9) Decals
10) Shock Absorbers (rebuildable on the PRO, not on the Standard)
11) Snow Flap, Ported (holes in it) on the PRO... Not on the Standard
12) The PRO has scratchers... Std has Bogie wheels.. but pre-drilled for scratchers.
13) Carbon fiber rear bumper (PRO) vs. Aluminum on the Std.
14) Carbon fiber over-structure (fwd section of the steering pyramid) on the PRO vs. Alumium on the standard.

The Standard RMK DOES weigh a bit more...
PRO RMK 417 lbs
Standard RMK 435 lbs.
Weight diff is around 18 lbs.

The following is IMO (in my opinion):

But, once you take off the 9 lbs of extra bogie wheels... not so big.

The other misunderstanding of weight, is the additional cooler on the Std-RMK. That cooler and the coolant additional weight is a sort of "zero sum gain" as that cooler sheds it's weight in snow and ice "plaque" build-up at the front of the tunnel... saving not only weight, but freeing up room for track clearance, which, when Iced up can create drag... PLUS... in marginal snow conditions.. the Standard RMK flat out cools better than the PRO.

With the collar... I'd bet the weight on the driveshaft, aluminum vs steel, is very close.

The PRO RMK does not have a changeable ratio unless you go to a $1000 - $2500 aftermarket belt drive. The Standard shares the same chaincase as the 2011/12's and the 13/14 Assaults... And has a very wide range of available gear change options for small $$ outlay.

The chaindrive is more robust than the QuickDrive™....You can find a lot of people on this very forum with stripped $180 belts... but certainly not an epidemic. (Polaris really needs to drop the price on this part radically for 2014....and 'eat' the lost profit on this part sale).
Although the rare case of a broken chain ruining a day can be found on the 100's of thousands of Polaris sleds made.. It is very rare and often due to lack of maintenance or extreme riding situations or crashes.

The Chaincase models also have an oil lubricated upper bearing on the jackshaft (in the case)...the grease lubed sealed-bearings on the PRO RMK's seem to be having some issues.

Now... something that cannot be considered as a difference on the 13/14-PRO vs. Std. is the jackshaft and brake rotor...because they are are completely different drive post-secondary-clutch drive systems. The PRO's from '11/12 have a Lighter weight tubular driveshaft than the Standard RMK that would account for about a 2 lb savings. The '13/14 Std-RMK's have a solid steel jackshaft and solid steel brake rotor.

The A-arms on the Standard are the same as the 2011/12 PRO rmks and the Dragons before them... They seem to be stronger than the PRO RMK's... at least in amount of non-impact failures of these parts. Time tested since the 900 and RAW chassis Days.

The handlebars are different.. the PRO RMK getting a Pro Taper 7" rise handlebar mounted to a flat plate topped steering post. The PRO RMK is a bit wider than the Standard bars which sit atop a pivot style steering post.

For me... I prefer the Pivot type handlebars for their durability in a crash and ability for the riser-to-post connection to yield a bit. Handlebars are something that I like to personalize for height and angles anyway... Pivot risers are very straight forward to upgrade with a lot of choices at cheap prices. I see as many PRO RMK riders (or more) changing out their handlebars as I do standard. (ie Adams Bars, Burandt bars, etc)

With the Std RMK, controls for the set/mode, grip heater, thumb heater and hi/lo beam are in the same block as the brake master cylinder... I dont see this as a drawback other than some like the "clean" look of the other master cylinder.

For the PRO RMK, the Cyclone™ alloy master cylinder with plastic lever is more robust in a tree hit than the Std RMK. Some PRO RMK have had brake-drag associated with the cyclone master though.. I see this as a toss-up, and personally I'm looking into MX type "barkbuster" hand-guards.

The big perceived item of difference in the PRO vs. standard is the shocks absorbers (dampers).

The Pro RMK uses Walker Evans coil over shocks that are lighter and rebuildable, compared to the Arvin-Meritor (Ryde-FX) which are steel and not rebuildable.

The upside... If you want the WE's you can find plenty of 17.5" long 2011/12 "take off" WE's for $450 or so (un-used)... OR... do what many PRO owners do...upgrade to an aftermarket offering.

I've ridden the stock PRO and Std RMK models... same day back and forth.... The standard RMK shock performance is very similar to the PRO WE's until the standards are worn out in 1500 or so miles. Believe it or not.

The Std RMK snowflap allows for better engine cooling in marginal conditions..Ever ride behind a PRO and watch the cooling-snow go through the flap?

The extra bogie wheels on the Std model are easy to remove and come in really handy in spring/marginal snow conditions.

The aluminum bumper and overstructure on the Standard RMK...I actually look at as being "Pluses" in the durability department.

The A-arms on the PRO RMK are bonded aluminum and steel which, as you can see from SOME reports on our forum have experienced some separation issues at the bonded socket assembly for the ball-jont. Polaris Industries did have a recall on the bonded sway bar mounting tabs.

-------------------------

In summary, The 2013/14 PRO RMK with the QuickDrive™ system is an amazing machine. The engineers really did their homework. Most owners of the 2013 PRO RMK's did not have issues with their sled; and there are a significant number (though still NOT the majority) of 2013 PRO RMK owners that had a frustrating year... I don't attribute this to design flaws on the part of the RMK team at Roseau...but rather quality control and the execution of production in the consumer sleds.

Polaris is acutely aware of these issues and I'm confident they have taken measures to improve this quality for 2014... The proof of this, one way or the other, will be in the consumers hands come February 2014.

If you want a 155" PRO Chassis sled for 2014, the choice for me is the Standard-RMK, at $1000 less, and then use that money to personalize it... You will get a more "heavy duty" platform with very small differences in weight and better cooling in marginal snow conditions...PLUS, you will not have that feeling of wondering if you got "one of the good ones"

The Assalut has many of the same robust time proven features and adjustable shocks...but lacks the cooler and narrow stance of the RMK's.

It seems that there is a tradeoff, in a production sled, between lighter weight and durability.

Deleting some bogies, adding scratchers and changing shocks will make the weight difference smaller between the PRO and the Standard.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
A well thought out and intelligent comparison, thank you, if I was buying new next year that would be a big help.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I Snowchecked a '13 Standard RMK 800 this year. Came off an '11 Pro. No more keeping my eyes glued to the temp gauge. That front cooler was the kicker for me. Just wish you had the 163 option like you have on the Pro's. Overall, I've been very happy with mine. Would do it again, especially with some of the issues that have popped up.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
X2 on a 163 std. Think poo should offer this. I'm doing a 800 std, moving my evols over, swapping bars, extra Carl's cut primary and kit, etc. it's a tougher sled. To elaborate on cooling - the std front cooler BYPASSES the thermostat, and those that I run with have considerably more consistent temps, seldom over 130. What I've personally witnessed many times is better clutching consistency in deep pow. I believe the temp is the key, as the timing may be slid back at higher temps, causing peak RPM inconsistency. I have had a good 11, did the full rkt kit 1300 miles ago, have had good luck, best chassis for me, and none of the Pro CF, QD, or driveshaft differences are worth it to me.

Bars on std are about 1.5 in lower from my measures than the Pro, FWIW. I don't care for the 15 year old switchgear, and I love the Cyclone lever, but I'll compromise. Wish it was a 163. Mine will probably get the phantom lite rotor, too. Good luck to all.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
For once I actually disagree with mountainhorse (respectfully of course). Mountainhorse has helped us polaris riders A LOT and I thank him for that. IMO the pro feels perfect for me. The height of the handlebars is perfect for me. I have ridden standard and pro's back to back at work test riding, and the throttle response of the pro feels way quicker. I have never had a problem with the cooling on my assault or pro yet and I have rode hard packed ND "ice roads" and icey mountain trails. The WE shocks ride great far as I'm concerned. The difference in weight between my pro and assault is also very noticeable but that could be because of the wider stance on the assault making it feel heavier. Thank you mountainhorse for posting this comparison for everyone that's on the fence about which one to buy (I was in the same boat not so long ago), it should be very helpful. To sum it up, I like the way the pro feels compared to the standard. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Thanks Mountainhorse for an honest comparison. I have been on the fence on this issue from the start and this didn't make it any easier! Yesterday I finalized my snowcheck and discussed it with my wife who said to go with my first instinct so I am snowchecking a Pro. My only regret is that I am passing my Pro 600 down to my son and I really do wish it was a standard. He's only 5'7" so we'll be looking for shorter handlebars. Also I expect the cooling to be an issue because like all teenagers keeping an eye on anything is never going to happen. My 5' 4" wife rides a standard - she's ridden my Pro and doesn't like it. It's all in the setup.

I am counting on Polaris having solved the 2013 issues regarding driveshaft, A arms, and QD belt so I am not concerned about that at all. I chose the 4 year extended warranty.

Just FWIW, my local dealer also deals in Ski-Doo. They have snowchecked a ton of new Ski-doos but I was the first one to snowcheck a Poo. And I did that yesterday. Not looking good for Poo so far --

If I am not mistaken, MH, you are on the shorter side - any recommendations for bars? ( I apologize if you aren't )

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'm short... 5'6"...

Bars.. I like the RSI bars ... The burandt bars are a comfortable bend and about 2" shorter than stock... For me... On the PRO.. I go even lower with the RSI Backcountry bend and the oversized bar mounts that bolt to the post.

On the standard... I use the RSI backcountry bar and a 1.5" riser OR... the straight, 10 degree, bars and a 3" pivot riser. With stock bars on the STD... I run a 2" riser.

Your right... It IS all in the setup... If you didn't take the time to put the bars at the right height and dial in the suspension for your wife and son... they are missing out!

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
February 2014? For real?

I like to ride November and December, and yes, January.

I'd have to wait till February to get a new PRO?

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
3" track

Thanks MH for spelling it out.
I have an 11 Assault, and went with the standard 12 RMK for my wife, and changed the shocks.
I like the standard RMK better, but went with the PRO 155 for 14. The only reason to buy the Pro over the Standard RMk is to allow the installation of a 3" track. And, Yes I will be running 4 scratchers.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You can run an X3 on a Standard RMK Too!!

The only reason to buy the Pro over the Standard RMk is to allow the installation of a 3" track.

A 3" lug X3 track will fit in a standard... same as a PRO... what had you thinking that??

Both PRO and Std need 7 tooth drivers or a D&R kit to run the X3.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
What I meant was that in Feb 2014... enough people will have a fair amount of time/miles/km's on their sled that we will see if, indeed, the 'glitches' have been sorted out.

I should have been more clear I guess.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Great info Eric.

I can't help but think you have fallen to the dark side and given up on the QDS. I'm really optimistic that Polaris will fine tune that to be more reliable (less belt failures). Perhaps you see that it's just not changing in '14. I think a better Gates belt and some adjust ability in the future means all sleds will follow suit.

You mention that the throttle blocks and kill switch are same/similar. Are the rest of the controls on the std RMK just like the Pro or do we still have the old IQ John Deere tractor controls on the bars?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
STD RMK has the same left hand controls, most of it going back to the 2000 Indy Gen II. Those are, by far, the oldest, most outdated controls in the sled biz.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yea... but they work so well... Depends on where you want your switches I guess...

BugIto... not on the dark side... just know that the chaindrive is more dependable in this chassis from Polaris.

The part that mystifies me is that the in Spring 2012, the 2013 Demo Fleet of PRO RMK's with the QD really did not have issues...
And people rode the pizz out of them. I'm crossing my fingers for the QD in 2014... I also agree it is the future of sleding... so, we'll see.

Standard for me.

Last edited:
Premium Features