• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Corking your hand warmers

Thread Rating
2.00 star(s)
M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
Just finished doing mine with the ski-doo cork. I had one warmer that didn't come off the bars very nice. So i had to replace it. A short test in the garage, they heated up in 15 seconds. Big improvement and highly recommended.

Last edited:

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
There is no comparison between stock and corked bars! This simple mod works wonders, I also like the feel of the slightly thicker grips.

I have no throttle interference although if it were any thicker I think full throttle may be hindered.

This is on a 13 pro but I'm sure results would be the same on m.y.11/12

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I got the cork put on but need to order some new heaters and grips now. The elements had been reglued since it was previously owned and could not be removed without being destructed. Oh well.

Is there any benefit to putting aluminum foil tape (HVAC) grade stuff on the outer foam surface of the throttle heater? I was wondering if it would reflect the heat back into the flipper but didn't know if it was worth while.

Quick question: How long are the RSI extended heaters? I ordered some and then got to thinking that my Pro-Taper bars were narrowed up some and that the actual grips may not be as wide as a stock grip. I measured close to 6" from the throttle/brake block to the end of the bar hook.

Last edited:
G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Quick question: How long are the RSI extended heaters? I ordered some and then got to thinking that my Pro-Taper bars were narrowed up some and that the actual grips may not be as wide as a stock grip. I measured close to 6" from the throttle/brake block to the end of the bar hook.

They're about 5 1/4" long so you should be fine.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Which one?

RSI has 2 different high power heaters

I don't think that the "extended" is what you wanted but who knows:face-icon-small-con

Gman... is the 5.25" for the first, extended hi power... or second, standard hi-power, below?

1 is the extended for use with bar end hooks
GH-2.jpg

GH-2_1.jpg

The other is the standard for use without hooks or for use with the standard Polaris Pro-Taper hooks.
GH-1.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Ok, I wanted the heaters that went all the way to the end of the hook. I tend to ride with the curl of the hook close to the center of my hand so that will help. Before, I had to snug my hand too close to the brake block to get any heat that I couldn't use the brake very well, or the throttle was to close. This way I can grab where ever fits best and have heat.

I am amazed at the amount of heat the bare bar zaps from your hand versus the cork. I can grab the cork that is on the bar and feel comfortable but grabbing the bar aluminum feels ice cold. I can only imagine how much the cork is going to help keep my hands warm. The bad part is, I'm down to my last 96' of cork.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

Gman... is the 5.25" for the first, extended hi power... or second, standard hi-power, below?

1 is the extended for use with bar end hooks
GH-2.jpg

GH-2_1.jpg

The other is the standard for use without hooks or for use with the standard Polaris Pro-Taper hooks.
GH-1.jpg

The first one for bar hooks!

Cheers,

G

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I needed more heat in my grips and thought about doing this but I didn't want the added diameter so I filled the ends of the bars with great stuff (non expanding window and door). Night and day difference, went from wondering if they were working to almost instant heat with warmers on low. Just another easy option if you dont want thicker bars.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Right or wrong, I did it my way.

I had thought about using the blow in foam inside the bars, but the hook inserts went in so far, the foam would not have done much good.

Once I opened the RSI extended grip heater instructions (big gasp I know) I noticed in the mice-type that these were not to be mounted over the mounting hole for bar hooks. Can someone explain this knowledge to me, I don't know how you attach the bar hooks without the recessed bolt hole. You can tell that since my bars were cut down, the extended heaters would go almost to the ends of the bars now either requiring me to return these and settle for shorter heaters, or do something not on the instructions. Anyway, I have the heaters now, because I ride with my hands out on the hooks so I wanted heat out there. I measured the recess pockets and they are exactly .5" so I rummage around and find a .5" dowel and cut it to fit in each recess. If I need to take them out later I can insert a screw in the dowel and pull out. I added cork on the right side to bring the surface up flush but left the left one as bare wood since it was close to the surface of the cork. I installed the grip heaters but the plastic membrane was not overly pliable so I used the heat gun to soften it up a little to mold to the bar. This was all fine and dandy but I was concerned that I would bugger up the heater trying to get the RSI grips on over the top. I didn't like the idea of using electrical tape as the heat from the heaters may make the tape adhesive runny and make for slippery grips. In came the 1" shrink tube that I have on hand. Slid it on, shrunk it down and then cut the wrinkle off that develops on the inside of the curl of each bar hook. Once that is secured, I used some air and blew the grips on. Sealed the end of the heater where the wires come up with some liquid electrical tape to help keep the wires stationary in their new home.

With the 1/16" cork and the added layer of shrink tube, these are thicker than stock grips but I like that better for my big hands. Also with the shrink tube, I think I can change the grips out more regularly without damaging the heater, or so I hope.

Hope they work.

Last edited:

bobgrmkpro

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Bismarck, ND
www.wfadvisors.com
I ordered the Ski Doo cork kits and their cork is 1/16". It comes with a sticky back on one side. It cost about $7.00 for two. the NAPA 1/16 cork roll gives you a lot more cork for the same money but requires some spray glue to be the same as the Ski Doo cork kit. I used soapy water to help with the install. worked well. I expect that when the heaters are operated for a long period of time the moisture will steam out. Otherwise it bothered me to use soapy water. The grips really warmed up quickly with the cork installed. (2013 Pro) RSI Grips / NAPA cork on right and Ski Doo on the left. A really mixed up Polaris huh?

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
For the guys that swapped out the stock handwarmers for the RSI, what are you doing for connectors to the Polaris harness? Does the Polaris harness use a common connector or are you using crimp and seal butt connectors? Or adding your own connectors to each end? I have a set of fly bars to put on mine, but no sled yet so I was trying to get the right stuff ahead of time. I was planning on setting up the new bars with heaters and grips.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
If I remember correctly they are a metri pack 150 series unsealed 3 position connector, I installed all factory connectors on mine when I swapped them out so it was plug and play, makes it nice if you ever want to go back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
If I remember correctly they are a metri pack 150 series unsealed 3 position connector, I installed all factory connectors on mine when I swapped them out so it was plug and play, makes it nice if you ever want to go back to stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

What is the part number for the plugs (male or female end) and what hooks to what
RSI Warmers = Red White and BLack
Polaris end = ???

Thank you

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Just throwing this out again...

If guys are careful they can reuse the stock heaters and save some cash on the project. Why pitch something you can reuse? Corking them makes them wayyy warmer and also increases the diameter of the grip a little.

Mine worked out fantastic last season, consider it.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Re-use is good.
My reason is I bought RSI Bar and hand warmers and grips last year so I would like to use the stuff. Leave the sock bars as intact as possible. No stock plugs like there is now.

But here is some information i found out tonight.

RSI hand warmers
Red = Low = 12.1 ohms
White = Med/High = 6.2 ohms
Black = Ground
From my Flute meter

Polaris stock wiring
Blue = Low = 10 ohms
Blue/Red = Med/High = 5 ohms
Brown = Ground
From the polaris manual for AL bars

Update on Corking the handle bars if you have small hands I do not recommend doing this. I just corked one side, installed heater and then grip of burandt bars to see if what it was like the 1/8 larger diameter was too big for my hands with gloves it was even worst. May work for some but not me.:face-icon-small-sad

Last edited:
Premium Features