• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tunnel stiffeners...

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Another vote for some more strength in the tunnel sides. My first trip on my 2011 I hit a rock beneath the fluff, not really doing any speed but it stopped me solid and sent me over the bars.

Only saw the bent A-arm first but down from the mountain we could see just where the boards end at the front and it bends up to the tunnel side, it had crumpled a little.

No biggie for me, just rode with it. BUT this just goes to show that on the PRO you have traded strength for weight and your tunnel sides might fold if your A-arm dont!

Have PAR tunnel sides to go on but will also put on some additional bracing. Thinking about the inside of the tunnel from the bulkhead and back to somewhere behind the front suspension bolt.

R

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I will be making some brace kits starting Sept 9th(Monday) for anyone who wants some, I need to hear from you by PM before Monday morning if so..Due to some surgeries I cant promise at this time that I will be making any more of these this winter(my hope is I will be, but as of now I don't know)..hope everyone is ready for a great winter..Mike

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
AKSNOWRIDER- those are sweet! Awesome job!

Here's a pic of mine I'm drawing up for the 144" sba's. 1 piece stiffeners / snow eliminators. I wish I had access to a scanner to scan my templates, instead of transferring all the measurements!

They still need some refinement!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1378349169883.jpg

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
AK-
on the dragon you did, with the red boards and tunnel.... how did you go about bending the tabs up for the running board boot grippers??

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AK-
on the dragon you did, with the red boards and tunnel.... how did you go about bending the tabs up for the running board boot grippers??

you can make a jig from plywood or thick steel, with holes precisely cut where you need to bend the boards at(both a top and bottom that clamp the aluminum and hold it while you lightly heat and bend the cleats).using the right grade of aluminum(made for mild bending and annealed to allow better bending) will help....

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
AK-

When u install your tunnel sides do you install your new skins over the factory solid rivets? Or do you drill them all out and re fasten through all your new pieces? uploadfromtaptalk1378425943884.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AK-

When u install your tunnel sides do you install your new skins over the factory solid rivets? Or do you drill them all out and re fasten through all your new pieces? View attachment 211474

I have drilled them out, I don't anymore(it is a royal pain even with quality bits), now I just grind the heads flush and lay right over them, drilling new holes between them(their is a real possibility of bending/tearing the stock metal when trying to remove the factory rivets due to the fact they are shot in blind and due to the friction of install they actually fuse both panels together around the rivet) to attach the new pieces with...

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I have drilled them out, I don't anymore(it is a royal pain even with quality bits), now I just grind the heads flush and lay right over them, drilling new holes between them(their is a real possibility of bending/tearing the stock metal when trying to remove the factory rivets due to the fact they are shot in blind and due to the friction of install they actually fuse both panels together around the rivet) to attach the new pieces with...

You weren't kidding... I just pulled the stock tunnel braces off of my SBA. those rivets were a beotch, to drill out!

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
Asksnowrider;
Are you selling this as kits or just for your own sleds. I would be interested in a set for a 13 Pro RMK w/163 track. It's a retro style. So I would get in powdered coated down here in Montana.
Thanks

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
cop out, I do sell them(further up shows them..anyway, am doing some right now so if you want some pm me..mike

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
You weren't kidding... I just pulled the stock tunnel braces off of my SBA. those rivets were a beotch, to drill out!

LMAO..yep..they can try your patience for sure.. there isn't any really easy way to deal with them either( a rota-broach works excellent but smallest they make is 5/16" that I know of), that's why I started just grinding them flush and laying right over them..

Last edited:
D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
you can make a jig from plywood or thick steel, with holes precisely cut where you need to bend the boards at(both a top and bottom that clamp the aluminum and hold it while you lightly heat and bend the cleats).using the right grade of aluminum(made for mild bending and annealed to allow better bending) will help....

What grade and thickness do you make yours from??

Im thinking I'll go with 6061 t6 @ .090" thick for my sba boards

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would use minimum 1/8" but 3/16" might be better/stronger..due to the bends needed, I would use most likely a 50 series(more bendable then 60 series)if you didn't bend the tunnel side piece on the boards and instead tigged it(tough to do as well due to warping) they a 60 series would be ok due to the minor bends needed, make sure to aneal all bend areas...

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
Got this back from the laser today!

Gotta make a few cuts, test fit, and bend the cleats. Then I will be taking orders!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1383344475863.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383344514935.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383344529208.jpg

Pokey

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2012
Alberta
This was money and time well spent. Just one tip, the serial number is not in the same spot on every sled. We had to modify both of our kits so that the serial number was visible.
photo.jpg

Premium Features