• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 XLT triple mods, advice needed please

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
Hey Guys, a new polaris owner, although I had an indy light back in 91. Anyway, I bought this 98 XLT triple, has 7000 kms on it, runs great, last for the last 2 years but started just fine today after about 12 pulls. It has a 121 track on it and that is useless for my riding and boondocking/flatlanding.

So I have a new 159 polaris track, 2009 137 rev xp rear suspension that I will extend to 159 and my plans are to lighten it right up and that's where I am looking for advice.

So:

ditch the seat, and use what?
scrap the hood and side panels and make out of carbon fiber?
already has plastic skis
ditch belly pan bracing
ditch gauges
handle bar riser
chop tunnel and extend.

what else can I do?? how can i lighten the front suspension cheap?

Anything I should do to this sled before I hold the throttle to the bars for the whole season?

Thanks and looking forward to the advice.

IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1237.jpg

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Ok I dont get why you would look for a cheap light front end but spend the money on carbon? There is lots of combos you can do with the wedges but the evos not so much from what i have seen over the years. And thats a big track for that little triple.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
Because I have 4 yards of carbon fibre sitting here with nothing to do - already paid for. Ya I am finding that there are issues with parts for the evolve, but that's ok I can still make up lightweight parts. When I blow the 600 triple it will get something bigger.

I'm going to 8 tooth drivers and an 18 or 19t top gear. No idea what it will be like - just found some SLP pipes and will be reclutching as well.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
DONT go with the 18 its too small the chain will bind 19 or 20 with the largest bottom gear that will fit.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
You can find many 19-20 top tooths off cats, I normally run a 19-39 set up with 9 tooth drivers i find its good all around as i do trails/deep but its still good for around 90mph and depending on clutching.

Premium Features