• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Pump Adjustment

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The paint is there for a reason and I would guess Polaris could use it against you in the event of a warranty/engine claim..

That would be my guess. If you have the four year warranty, maybe just leave it???? Why give them a reason, if you happen to have an issue.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
So I went and looked at the adjustment screw on my '12 Pro tonight,it does not look all that hard to access without taking anything other then the exhaust can off. It looks like a socket to loosen the nut and a short screw driver to turn the screw would do the trick. I noticed my lock nut is marked with yellow paint, I am guessing this is so they can tell if it has been tampered with for warranty? Would this void the engine warranty if they seen it was no longer lined up?

Here is a pic looking over the exhaust can, you can see the lock nut marked with yellow paint.
100_0661.jpg
When you say "adjustment screw" you are referring to the screw to sink your butterfly's right? Just checking?

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Mine had the yellow
paint on it also, the locking nut was tight enough to bend the tab when I tryed to break it loose. Had to hold the bracket (tab?) with some needle nose plyers to get it loose.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
So I went and looked at the adjustment screw on my '12 Pro tonight,it does not look all that hard to access without taking anything other then the exhaust can off. It looks like a socket to loosen the nut and a short screw driver to turn the screw would do the trick. I noticed my lock nut is marked with yellow paint, I am guessing this is so they can tell if it has been tampered with for warranty? Would this void the engine warranty if they seen it was no longer lined up?

Here is a pic looking over the exhaust can, you can see the lock nut marked with yellow paint.
100_0661.jpg

So to adjust you loosen the nut and turn in that screw running in the middle of the nut? And its is righty tighty to turn it up?

Cuz this thread says to adjust the adjuster screw on the gas tank side of the throttle bodies http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275294&highlight=turning+oil+pump&page=2

and the original post mentions the adjustment screw on the gas tank side of the throttle bodies.. can anyone clarify

Last edited:
G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
So to adjust you loosen the nut and turn in that screw running in the middle of the nut? And its is righty tighty to turn it up?

Cuz this thread says to adjust the adjuster screw on the gas tank side of the throttle bodies http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275294&highlight=turning+oil+pump&page=2

and the original post mentions the adjustment screw on the gas tank side of the throttle bodies.. can anyone clarify

It IS on the gas tank side of the throttle bodies but accessible from behind the can. And yes, turning clockwise turns up the oil. FWIW mine did not have the yellow paint (or it came off when I adjusted her :)); dealer isn't gonna penalize you for using MORE oil. They TOLD me to turn it up because of skirt issues last year. My guess is the paint is there for easy identification of the adjuster screw vs the synchronize screw.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
My guess is the paint is there as a "witness mark" showing someone, or possibly two people, checked that it was adjusted before it left the factory.

icerider600

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Castlewood SD

100_0661.jpg

Thanks Sledmax!! I wasnt looking forward to tearing all that stuff off just to adjust this thing.:face-icon-small-con Also is everybody going 3 turns? I think I might start at one and see how its doing.

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
So have you guys ridden your sleds with three full turns in? Mine was running rich after just one turn in last year so I'm surprised unless you're simply basing this off of the marks (which have told me nothing on all my previous sleds; aligning marks never guaranteed proper fuel/oil ratios for me).

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I didn't remove a thing to change mine tho I do recall it was a beeatch to get the locknut loosened.

I have not ridden it with three turns in, (other than one heat cycle on the trailer) that was just to get mine slightly above the mark as a starting point. You may be right that I have to back off, but we shall see.

Thanks Sledmax!! I wasnt looking forward to tearing all that stuff off just to adjust this thing.:face-icon-small-con Also is everybody going 3 turns? I think I might start at one and see how its doing.

As G Man indicated, three turns may be too much. I think it will be more dependant on your machines oil usage, and to try and calculate an accurate ratio and shoot for what you want. All I observed was that mine came from the factory below the scribe mark, and I would rather start with too much oil and back off, than have too little oil to start with.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Going to get mine broken in first, run a few tanks of gas through it then take some manual readings on usage to see where I'm at..
What is target ratio to shoot for? 32-1? 40-1?
G.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Going to get mine broken in first, run a few tanks of gas through it then take some manual readings on usage to see where I'm at..
What is target ratio to shoot for? 32-1? 40-1?
G.

32:1 is what I'm shooting for; any more and I've had real probs with plug fouling tho the new copper core plugs in the '12's are supposed to help with that too.

Have FUN!

G MAN

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Sledmax that is a great picture, but where is the scribe mark? Anyone have a pic of it?

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
How would Polaris know if you adjusted it or maybe it was the dealer that did when they did the PDI. One thing to remember is you have to make sure your throttle cable freeplay is set correctly before you adjust anything. If not it could screw up the reading your getting when looking at the scribe mark.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
How would Polaris know if you adjusted it or maybe it was the dealer that did when they did the PDI. One thing to remember is you have to make sure your throttle cable freeplay is set correctly before you adjust anything. If not it could screw up the reading your getting when looking at the scribe mark.

The dealors aren't going to mess with it , than they'd be liable . I would be very weary about messing with it while it's under warranty. Why would they put a blob of marking paint for inspection , if it was ,wouldn't it just be a slash mark ? or is it also a very nasty lock tight that is used on certain torque applications. Seen it on GM brake rotor bolts and on Doo engines .

Last edited:

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Just so we're clear

Hullo, my name is Erik and I'm uh, not that smart....

I B confused as to which screw is the correct oil adjustment screw.

Is the attached comparison photo correct or is it backwards?

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Pro oil pump adjustment

I think there is some confusing info between a couple of threads on this topic. I've read that to adjust this you need a 10mm wrench for the locknut and an ALLEN wrench for the allen set screw. The photos show a slotted screw. Then, there are conflicting photos raising the question of whether what is shown is for throttle body syncronization or for oil pump adjustment. Could it be that the 2011 had an allen screw and the 2012 had a slotted one? Before everyone goes in and starts turning everything the wrong way, someone should clear this up.:noidea:

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
I think there is some confusing info between a couple of threads on this topic. I've read that to adjust this you need a 10mm wrench for the locknut and an ALLEN wrench for the allen set screw. The photos show a slotted screw. Then, there are conflicting photos raising the question of whether what is shown is for throttle body syncronization or for oil pump adjustment. Could it be that the 2011 had an allen screw and the 2012 had a slotted one? Before everyone goes in and starts turning everything the wrong way, someone should clear this up.:noidea:

2x I AGREE

Premium Features