• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

considering turbo v3

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
again no one can read posts here we go 3rd time around

might try power jets in the caps of the carbs which will mean I have to extend the tubes, is there a problem using a larger diameter tube to extend my power jets down so they sit midway in the throat of the carb?

Last edited:
T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
can anyone provide me a picture of the internal of there carb with a powerjet through the top cap?

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I might get my sled out of storage this weekend, if so, I'll get some pics to you. I couldn't find any old pics that would be useful.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
from what I can imagine I will need a powerjet with like a 4.5inch tube on it and it will go through the cap then down and I would have to drill another hole into the throat of the carb and it would sit dead center in the carb throat.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Here is a picture borrowed from highvoltagesledhead when he put his R & D kit on. You can see the powerjets are mounted toward the left side of the caps. Mine are angled a bit so that when they are drilled through, the tube comes out at the center. highvoltagesledhead appear to be more vertical but I imagine his tube is angled somehow toward the center of the carb opening. You might be able to pm some of the guys that actually recieved the R&D kits, they may be able to get some internal shots before I get my sled out.

carb.jpg

G
Apr 23, 2008
do yourself a favor and put them in the airbox tubes.

Ive worked with both and thru the cap is one fussy ****er to tune. ( both were halverson units ).

One day highvoltage sled head was ripping and scaring himself, the next he was chasing it all over the hill..

I like mine off the slide 2 inches..

I feel that when they are to close to the needlejet outlet there is an overrich condition that is throttle position dependent.

Gus

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
thanks guys in the tubes they go. you guys have made this process so much easier things are coming along very nicely still waiting on some key pieces

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
do yourself a favor and put them in the airbox tubes.

Ive worked with both and thru the cap is one fussy ****er to tune. ( both were halverson units ).

One day highvoltage sled head was ripping and scaring himself, the next he was chasing it all over the hill..

I like mine off the slide 2 inches..

I feel that when they are to close to the needlejet outlet there is an overrich condition that is throttle position dependent.

Gus

a little confused...

When Dave had originally put his kit out and hadn't stole a bunch of money, one of the reasons you appeared to be endorsing his kit, is because of the powerjet placement. Don't want to critical, but were you assuming at that point it was better and hadn't actually tried it? Turboyz and Peak both install through the carb bellows w/ great results-I assume this is to be closer to the slide and definitely inside of two inches. Two inches would be the easiest but it seems you would be getting a lot more overlap w/ the powerjet. I don't think that would be a huge problem but it seems that it would limit the usefulness of the powerjet and part of the reason some say that the effectiveness of a powerjet is limited to 4000' w/out a mainjet change and having to run such small pilot jets. I ride mine as low as 4000' and have been up to 11,000' w/out any issues (360 mains). The only time I've chased my tail w/ my sled is due to something else being the problem, ie. split pipe, torn carb boot, blowing a boost line off or coming loose and not noticing, or turning the boost up to high and actually getting too much fuel through the powerjets before turning them down, which in itself was a wierd concept to initially understand until a person starts to think about fluid dynamics. I also seem to be able to run a higher base fuel pressure than most people are suggesting, my sled really likes the base pressure around 6 lbs, at four it seems like it can't get fuel quickly enough--changing to pipe pressure might fix.

Gus, or Bryce if you're looking, do you think I would be limiting some of the adjustability of my sled (I am assuming this) by moving my powerjets further away but gain performance. Right now my sled has considerably more pull, boost for boost,than other 800 turbo's I've been on, but my bottom end is a little lack luster. Feels mostly due to clutching, possibly block off's, possibly need a bigger turbo :). Still not sold on running powervalves as far as perfromance, but would like to gain some fuel mileage. Ever seen issues from running two sets of powerjets (holes are already there in the bellows from Peak) w/ different lengths of tubes so a person could fine tune even more. I would think that would require either larger bowls and more attention to fuel pressure due the extra fuel draw. Just curious.

sorry for such a rambling post Taylorbok, but it should be useful info for you also. If two inches is the best, I think I would o-ring the box and do a similiar setup as to Silber's for powerjet placement.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
just thought I would post up some pictures here is what I have so far

myturbo6.jpg

myturbo5.jpg

myturbo4.jpg

myturbo3.jpg

myturbo2.jpg

myturbo1.jpg

I have to cut back my boots to the carb so I can install power jets and waiting on stainless tubing for exhaust, bov, wastegate, and v band flanges.

going to start building oil tank soon.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
can I use that one plug to power all my stuff, the one that is meant for heated shield

egt, afr, fuel and oil pump or do I need to use another source,

I have empty headlight plugs.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
You can use the empty headlight plug if you want or just use the aux plug above secondary clutch to run everything.

As far as power jets go. The reason they do not work very consistant in the top of the carb is because you have to kink the peto tube so it doesn't hit the side at wide open( I have no idea whos idea that was but, oh boy!)

If the power jet is to far back into the box we have found that a puddle of fuel forms in the air box. so if you are going down hill or hit a bump you get alot of fuel. Yes two power jets will give you better tune ability because you can adjust the peto tubes at the throttle position where you need more or les fuel. you can also cut on the slide a bit or v the peto tube or cut on the needle. This all gets variying results and depends on the sled which one works best.
As far a the bowl goes you are good up to 2 power jets. Any more that you will want to change to a bigger carb or go oval bore.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
good info guys,
jeezzzz silber uses a tiny box, mine must be double the size of his at least, oh well test it out and see what happen may have to go smaller.

Are we talking 2 inches off slide or 2 inch off carb intake flange? wish I would have made the box smaller to allow more space for fuel pump. oops I guess I will find some where else

G
Apr 23, 2008
Off the slide is the deal.

swrev, I dont get your long drifting post...but halverson did as halverson does.

we learn every day or we get stepped over.

as for fuel volume, you will not run the bowl dry as long as you have a 2.0 needle seat assy. anything less is just foolish.

using stock bowls on all different carbs, 44 rounds, 48 cutlers, 40mm tmx. 2.0's in all. no worries...but that is referencing from the pipe, 10 psi over boost ( fuel pressure )..ex. 10 psi boost,static of 4 psi,= 20 psi fuel pressure..fuel pressure drops instantly, we have never seen an issue with loading up on decell.

But we dont go down mountains out here,,, just travel at 100 +mph and chop for a turn then right back in it to the friggin bar !!!

Gus

BTW.. Looks great so far man..kudos

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
Should I switch to an 07 needle to get the clips or just use bigger shims?
how high do you guys run your needles?

If I am running rich will I be able to just turn up or down my boost to compensate?

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Lookin' great on the kit. I really want to build one a turbo on another sled of mine. The wife needs boost!

Thanks Gus and Bryce. My posts get carried away at times, I was just thinking. I've been real happy w/ the way my sled fuels, pulls the extra fuel great and never loads up. May have to try the other powerjet placement also. Then I can close or open up either set.

Boost can help adjust for fuel, once you get the sled running, you won't have any trouble figuring it all out. You'll just have to play w/ it to be able to decide what to adjust.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
the fab work looks great. Keep up the good work. I have one of daves kits and when ever I thought it was fueling issues it was always a boost leak of some sort. I have run powerjets both in and out of the carbs and I honestly dont think I could tell the difference. I do have one of silbers o-ring plates that i fabed on to my box and that is the ticket. If I had to do it over again the powerjets would be in the box with the o-ring plate.

SW...As far as the exhaust valves go...they are a must at elevation. If you dont believe me i will send you the pressure relief valve i used before i purchased the supreme tool valves. You will be amazed at the difference in your throttle response.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
as for the needles, i would stay with yours for right now and try it.. if you find you need to adjust. then maybe get some 07's/

really like the airbox good shape and volume. and that turbo looks GOOD!!

as for p-jets in the airbox. if you cut your tubes on your box down to about 3/8" and your silicone couplers down so they allow the box to touch the carbs and still clamp good, then your as close as you can get with the jets in the box.. works good, and makes in/out easier.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
in and out with the box is a bitch right now, the runners are 1 inch long they may be getting cut down a tad. I was going to put the power jet right in the runner.

I am loving this project so far, finished oil tank last night looks sick will get some pictures up soon.

But still cant decide about fuel pressure reference, I like the concept of pipe pressure but I dont like the hot exhaust gasses in with the bellow and who runs it in the mountains? the nice thing about pipe pressure is it should never allow the sled to go lean (theoretically) the boost reference may allow it to go lean but no hot gasses and lots of people run this. Like I said before might set up for both and try both

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
You all on here will be suprised to KNOW..

KTM uses the exact same thing on the 65 cc and new 85 cc mx bikes.
they use a friggin piece of std rubber hose and a clamp on the nipple from the pipe to the rave bellows.. A 5 inch hose !!! You worry about heat, yet I ran the first system like this on my 3000 mile RXL turbo triple in 1990..

there is NO heat issue, mx bikes build tremendous heat in a 20 minute moto in sand !!!! not even a single issue for KTM using my method since 2009.

Tonysnoo ran his cat 1000 carbed turbo for 2 seasons like this too..Though you may find it wierd and get you ostricised from your friends it wont ever let you down.

there is another balls cat turbo group who swapped to this last yr,, not 1 piston all yr.. when they normally woulld have unexplained pisotn failures..

gotta wonder why a huge manufacturer like KTM would deal with little old me....if there was a problem the warranty would be baddddddd..

either way your good for to go...

Gus

Premium Features