• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

considering turbo cont.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you shouldnt need to double up reeds at all.. honestly, if you tune it right, and have a properly setup system, aka big turbo and fueling, you should not have any real issues with there life..

and I REALLY like the oil tank setup, should be a perfect tank if built like you drew it up... looks like some ideas i have heard of before!!

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
k well I will order the turbo reeds for the rage cages just to have as backups.

sorry if I spilled some beans on oil cans.

how about the springs on the pipe and to the turbo, double them up or build some bolt on brackets?

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Double up on the exhaust springs. Easier and cheaper. Don't we all have extra springs laying around anyways?

What are you doing for your bellows?

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
Double up on the exhaust springs. Easier and cheaper. Don't we all have extra springs laying around anyways?

What are you doing for your bellows?

I have so many exhaust springs hahaha, I will put on all new ones probably to make sure I have the most tension possible.

for bellows I am running stm valves for $300 not having to worry about it is well worth it to me.

ATTENTION
Has anyone run the stm valves with the stock solenoids for the stock valves removed totally from the sled? any codes?

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I have so many exhaust springs hahaha, I will put on all new ones probably to make sure I have the most tension possible.

for bellows I am running stm valves for $300 not having to worry about it is well worth it to me.

ATTENTION
Has anyone run the stm valves with the stock solenoids for the stock valves removed totally from the sled? any codes?

Save your $300 and just go get a pressure relieve valve for a few dollars. Then you install it on the line to the bellows so you only get 5 psi to the bellows. Problem solved. My brother put them on his XP and they work awesome. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263825

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
I already have the valves. saw the pressure relief valve before decided to go this route instead, I have had problems with those lines to the solenoids drooping and getting pinched causing ****ty running sled so I want to eliminate those.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
do I pressurize the dpm ports at the top of the carbs and the black one that connects both carbs just above the bowls? or just the top ones?

G
Apr 23, 2008
If you need petals for the doo cages shoot me ur adddress. I have many spares.. Never had to use any of my spares..

Dooin it.. even canuklehead at 9 psi killed reeds above 5000 feet...

be glad to give you a set taylor.

Gus

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
think I found a spare set, gonna keep a my rage cages with a set of boyesen turbo reeds in the trailer as a backup.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
well all my parts are almost here waiting on the main pieces of this project (turbo)

Has anyone ever had problems with the oil pump from turbo perfromance, just talked to one guy who said it didnt work very good. (I dont know how it couldnt work its just a pump)

Should I double up reeds or just have a spare set?

Last edited:
T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
turbo just arrived stoked, still waiting on v band clamps bov and wastegate. gonna rough in the plumbing early next week.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Your going to endup waiting for the snow to show up the way your going:face-icon-small-hap, so what turbo did you get?

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
Your going to endup waiting for the snow to show up the way your going:face-icon-small-hap, so what turbo did you get?

hopefully I am done before the snow is here. got a trip planned nov 11th ish to bc.

I went with a 2871 with tial housing and billet wheel from forced performance with .86 ar

for the plenum size I kind of figure make it as big as I can that will fit between the carbs and fuel tank?

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
hopefully I am done before the snow is here. got a trip planned nov 11th ish to bc.

I went with a 2871 with tial housing and billet wheel from forced performance with .86 ar

for the plenum size I kind of figure make it as big as I can that will fit between the carbs and fuel tank?
I see no reason to make it to big. That's just more area to pressure up which may = lag.
You should look at some sort of intercooler setup though.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
I see no reason to make it to big. That's just more area to pressure up which may = lag.
You should look at some sort of intercooler setup though.

I was also thinking that it might cause lag with to big of a plenum but too small will cause poor response.

I have read that the sacrifice of the pressure loss of an inter cooler is not worth it below 12 psi, if I decide I want to go with an intercooler later on it will be a water to air system with its own separate heat exchanger and pump.

G
Apr 23, 2008
small plenums on 2 strokes lead to bad times tuning,, you can only fit a very minimal plenum in that chassis NM. its too bad it can be as good as it could...

gulp factor on a 2 stroke is throttle response.. you need a larger rather than smaller volume for response..hence the larger compressor trend so many are now trying and see for themselves...

though 'maybe' the compressor being undersized all along was the rreason they liked larger plenums ? you need to have air availible when the blade lays open,..? static volume or a larger compressor to flow that added volume quicker than waiting for a small flowing wheel to spin faster and make higher pressure to generate the flow...( supply ).

I talk to much..
:kev::kev::faint::faint::faint:

Gus

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
damn it, size matters, I knew it :)

How much plenum can be made up w/ larger piping or does pipe size have more of an effect on charge temps? I've seen some old kits that have very small charge tubes. Just curious, may become an issue if I decide to go w/ an intercooler.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
small plenums on 2 strokes lead to bad times tuning,, you can only fit a very minimal plenum in that chassis NM. its too bad it can be as good as it could...

gulp factor on a 2 stroke is throttle response.. you need a larger rather than smaller volume for response..hence the larger compressor trend so many are now trying and see for themselves...

though 'maybe' the compressor being undersized all along was the rreason they liked larger plenums ? you need to have air availible when the blade lays open,..? static volume or a larger compressor to flow that added volume quicker than waiting for a small flowing wheel to spin faster and make higher pressure to generate the flow...( supply ).

I talk to much..
:kev::kev::faint::faint::faint:

Gus

I am confused as to whether your saying make it small or big. I know I cant make it huge so I will just make it as big as possible with the size restriction of the chassis should not be too big. I figure I need a big plenum to make up for the "gulp factor" of the motor but to big will cause longer boost times. I dont know what a good volume is. I need a happy medium.:faint: If anyone is willing to share I am welcoming advice, if no one wants to share it might be some trial and error.

sounds like gus knows what size if you are willing to share thanks if not I understand and will do some trial and error starting with a large plenum and just go down from there if I am not happy, looks like turbo performance has a fairly small box but I have never rode there kit so I dont know what their response is like.

Last edited:
T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
Ok from what I have read the plenum should be between 1.3 and 2.5 times the volume of the engine, this was mostly about 4 strokes though so I dont know how relevant those numbers are,

I figure I am going to need around 2.5 times to feed the motor which is a 2000 cc plenum.

going by my measurements the largest I could make it with out making it a big triangle shape (like bd does for polaris) is about 3900cc which sounds to big.

I looked at pics of qv plenum which with a rough calculation looks to be about 2200-2400cc

The turbo performance looks like about 1500 using very rough calculations and measurements based off of a picture as well.

I figure start on the higher end of things around 2400cc which is like a 19x9x14 box.

what do you guys think?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I was also thinking that it might cause lag with to big of a plenum but too small will cause poor response.

I have read that the sacrifice of the pressure loss of an inter cooler is not worth it below 12 psi, if I decide I want to go with an intercooler later on it will be a water to air system with its own separate heat exchanger and pump.
I think you are on the right track. I have a water to air on our Pro and it works great. I have a gauge in the intake and have never seen over 90 deg no matter how long its held open. I have seen some air to air coolers that you can't even put your hand on cuz they are so hot.

I would sacrifice a bit of throttle response for cooler air any day. Makes the sled much easier to tune too.

Premium Features