• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first ride on a Supercharged Nytro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like I have some crow to eat here.

Just got word that the sled we were using yesterday was NOT a Stage 1 supercharger, it was an MPI STAGE TWO !!

It didn't have 220hp, it had 280hp!!

That totally explains the extra gas consumption and the EXPLOSIVE power it had.

SORRY for the error in my report, I will go back up and EDIT it right now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yup, there is room enough in the world for both technologies.
In my case, I just happen to be more fond of Superchargers than Turbos.

Coming from a background of building high performance boats, turbos were rarely seen, but superchargers were COMMON.

When you wanted REAL POWER across the whole power band, superchargers were the only way to go.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Turbo's are definitely better on fuel, it is noticeable that I burn far more fuel than them. I pack in at least 5 gal every time I ride. Another thing is on deep deep days, my friends on turbos can top a few hills I can't. And on those days I wish I had a turbo. They defiantly make a lot of power on the top end. But no turbo that I have rode makes instant power like my s/c, so I guess it's a trade off.

On a side note. If you let someone that is somewhat new to riding, ride my S/c nytro then let them ride one of my buddies turbos sleds, my bet would be that they preferred the s/c. In my experience the s/c is just easier to ride.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Turbo's are definitely better on fuel, it is noticeable that I burn far more fuel than them. I pack in at least 5 gal every time I ride. Another thing is on deep deep days, my friends on turbos can top a few hills I can't. And on those days I wish I had a turbo. They defiantly make a lot of power on the top end. But no turbo that I have rode makes instant power like my s/c, so I guess it's a trade off.

On a side note. If you let someone that is somewhat new to riding, ride my S/c nytro then let them ride one of my buddies turbos sleds, my bet would be that they preferred the s/c. In my experience the s/c is just easier to ride.

I agree with everything that irondave said. I've been riding the MPI 180 turbo all year. I can't disagree with a thing you said. There's a place for both, pick your trade offs. When I jump on a s/c sled I almost fall off it as soon as I touch the gas. I wish I had both on one sled.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Butt dyno's are clearly better for supers that is certain!!!

Personally went turbo for the last build, if I was staying blue, I would have tried super for this build....

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
So what type of fuel were you running in these sleds? I had an MCX 240 kit in my Nytro with a head shim running 17 lbs of boost on 91 octane with no problem. How about the s/c sleds? With the stage 1 kit do you have to run a head shim?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We were told to run pump gas 91 octane in both of them and did just that.

Though the Tech I was riding with thought that we could have gotten even more performance out of the stage 2 supercharger with a 50/50 mix of race gas.

S
Jan 25, 2011
We were told to run pump gas 91 octane in both of them and did just that.

Though the Tech I was riding with thought that we could have gotten even more performance out of the stage 2 supercharger with a 50/50 mix of race gas.
Really ?I thought stage one and two both required 50/50 mix of race fuel and premium I didn't think it was about performance but detonation

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
These sleds were provided by the regional Yamaha Rep.
I can try to find out some details, but I am not sure how much he knows to be perfectly honest.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/ac.../0/detail.aspx

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="340" height="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="commontext" style="font-weight: bold;">FX Nytro MTX Supercharger by Mountain Performance, Inc.</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">
blank.gif
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="commontext">
SMA-SUPER-00-00-500.jpg

SMA-SUPER-00-00-1-500.jpg

SMA-SUPER-00-00-2-500.jpg

Give your FX Nytro MTX a 45 horsepower performance boost with a Mountain Performance, Inc. supercharger kit. This MPI supercharger kit is a true bolt-on, premium pump gas upgrade with provides instant throttle response.

The MPI supercharger kit is thoughtfully engineered for quality installation, fit and finish with no modifications to the hood or side panels of your Nytro MTX. All wiring uses stock style connectors, so you will not have to cut and splice your sled’s wiring harness. Additionally, the MPI supercharger system uses the stock exhaust.

The supercharger kit was designed by the electronics experts at Mountain Performance, Inc. to work seamlessly with Yamaha’s fuel injection system components, with running quality similar to the stock engine. While your buddies are busy tuning their finicky, modified 2-stroke engines, you’ll be setting highmarks with your high performance MPI Supercharged FX Nytro MTX.

The supercharger kit has a 1 year limited warranty from the manufacturer.

Important: The MPI supercharger kit is designed only for operation at elevations above 6000 feet. While installation of this kit will not “void” your snowmobile’s warranty, specific failures determined by Yamaha to have resulted from installation of kit components or other modifications may not be covered by the Yamaha limited warranty or extended service coverage.
blank.gif
blank.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td width="15">
blank.gif
</td> <td width="325"> <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="325"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="325"> <tbody><tr> <td class="commontext" width="130">SMA-SUPER-00-00</td> <td class="commontext" width="10">
</td> <td class="commontext" align="right" width="85">$3,995.95</td> <td align="right" width="100"></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
I have ridden both, the super and the turbo. Here's my take, I love the super for riding on the trail into the play area much more than the turbo, an absolute blast to ride, the throttle response is better than a good running two stroke, you hit last second bumps and lighten the front end and launch it, top end power , not as good as the turbo, but way better than stock, so it gets around in the deep pretty good, the noise drove me nuts, the intake noise was enough to make me want earplugs to ride, but I also designed an fresh air intake that sticks out of the hood, so you're constantly hearing the super, it got quieter when I put the blow off valve on. But as far the fun factor goes, the super gets my vote, way fun play machine.

The Turbo isn't as much fun on the trail in, but it is quieter and it climbs better, you have to think ahead more on the turbo, last second changes are usually not rewarded with the same outcome, the throttle response isn't even close to the super, so it makes the turbo feel heavier, even a front mount doesn't have that throttle response.

Now the big difference between the two, FUEL MILEAGE! the super loves fuel, Opec loves the Supercharger set up, both run on 91 Octane, but the turbo doesn't use nearly as much.

Hope this helps

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
the noise drove me nuts, the intake noise was enough to make me want earplugs to ride, but I also designed an fresh air intake that sticks out of the hood, so you're constantly hearing the super, it got quieter when I put the blow off valve on.
Interesting.
I really didn't comment much on that.
The Tech I was riding with LOVED the sound of the Blow-Off valve popping on deceleration.

I LOVED the mechanical sound of the whole blower assembly, just made the engine sound "Beefier".

But it wasn't what I would call "Loud" at all, I can't imagine any reason at all to wear earplugs with it? My Stock Nytro with the SKINZ Under Tunnel exhaust is much louder than the supercharged sleds were.

Both of the sleds I tested had the STOCK mufflers on them, and both were pretty quiet in my book.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
The Turbo vs. Supercharger debate will never end and can't be won by either side.

The Turbo is more efficient in building horsepower per unit of fuel, no argument, but beyond that point the differences get bigger and bigger.

if you get to ride a turbo sled look at the boost guage rideing down the trail it will be very little thats where you get the better milage out of a turbo setup as it isnt makeing as much boost going down the trail dapending on the turbo of course

Premium Features