• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VENTING AND THE PRO-RIDE.... MY TAKE ON IT.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is my "take" on venting... IMO...

And this is not intended as an affront to any of the people that I have made friends with at Polaris Ind... Whom, IMO, have pulled off the best Out of the box mountain sled ever.

The hood and venting plan for the PRO-Ride sleds, IMO, was designed as a "Forced Air" system that passed the EPA Ride-By noise regulations for the Performance trail sled the RUSH

AND... For a Flatland Sled... the factory ducting scheme works well...And for the Mountain sleds... this same system was used.

Mountain sleds work for longer periods of time, in "dead" air at very high clutch/engine loads compared to their flat-land brethren. This makes for much higher underhood temps in the Mountain sleds..

Corporate mfg process (regardless of brand) involves weighing the cost of R&D, Tooling, distribution over a entire line of different models... when determining what body panels are made and how. The mountain segment being the smallest of sled lineup in terms of unit sales and may not justify the expense needed to have a mountain specific venting scheme that will still meet EPA Ride-By Regs... that is one tall order.

The hood which has the intake portion of the ducting arrangement in it... has the very nice MFD (gauge) mounted at an angle that favors sit down riding... which is a good indication of the primary function of the hood when the I.D. team designed the hood..It accommodated the flat land rider in general (also IMO).. It has a style that is uniquely Polaris and hearkens back to the XLT look.

Forced air, when riding the sled at higher speeds, pushes air through the large "gills" in the hood down around the engine, out the top side panels mostly with some of the air venting down out through the footwells on both sides. Keeps it cool.

But tell me... when you are riding through deep powder and your hood is covered with snow OR... you are sidehilling (full load on the clutches when doing this maneuver most of the time) at 10 mph in a technical section... How much "forced" air are you getting??? not much... In fact... the footwell on the uphill side is completely buried in snow and packed.

How many 30 mph "clean air" (no snow in the air) side hills do you do??...I know someone will chime in and say "all the time"...but really????:face-icon-small-dis

When operating in technical sections...or on deep pow days... there is just not that much forced air that makes it under-hood.

Aftermarket-Venting on a Mountain sled, is... for the most part... just that...VENTING... NOT "Ducting"

Venting = letting the hot air OUT of the under-hood areas

Ducting = Stock setup... forcing cool air through the engine compartment and around the hot components exhausting through the side vents and footwells.

When riding a mountain sled in deep snow... there really is not that much air coming INTO an aftermarket-vent ... it has snow dust etc built up on it... even if it is just a little....

Aftermarket venting... Unless your sled is moving in clean-air at speed... really does not duct in much of a cold air stream as many would think...Not really flowing much air INTO the sled... But it does do a great job at letting the hot air rise out of these areas and allow the sled to cool through natural convection air movement...even when caked with snow

Aftermarket venting DOES do a great job at getting the heat out of the sled...and I highly recommend this for those that meet the description of serious mountain rider.. Use Plenty of it...

PLUS... ADD more Engine-Air-Intake area, IMO, as well... especially when running in the rain or fine pow snow. Fire N ICE and SLP make good Pre-filter material intakes for this that add considerable area to the Intake air supply.

Letting the heat rise out of the engine compartment rather than making an oven of it can only be beneficial IMO.

Carls cycles, Boondockers, VOHK performance, Dan Adams, Chris Burandt all run aftermarket venting on their sleds... And they really know these units well.

As Rick! put it well in another thread >>> "Don't park into the wind when it snows out without a cover"

I've seen what happens after a full night of this... most of the under-hood area was packed with snow in the morning... granted... the wind was blowing at 50mph gusts and it was cold/fine snow. :rant:

Frogzskin's from Straightline Performance makes a pre-filter style, self adhesive vent for the stock hood "gills" Part number F0078... This makes a lot of sense IF the other panels are well vented... otherwise.. I believe that these will actually cut back too much of the much needed airflow IF you do NOT have other aftermarket venting.

Now many would say "If Venting is better... then the factories would install them when they are made!"...

BUT..

All the factories... whether that is Polaris, Yami, Doo, Cat... are limited by ever tightening EPA regulations that regulate "Ride-By" noise emissions on the sleds... Venting, to put it simply... Makes the sleds Louder... Bad for an OEM trying to pass EPA Regulations.:face-icon-small-sad

IMO...ON these sleds... Aftermarket venting is a HUGE benefit in reducing under-hood and clutch temperatures... which can add performance and durability while running in these demanding situations.

Some people just don't ride in deep snow or on foul weather days... or put high demands on the motor/clutches... these people would be fine, IMO, with the stock configuration

ALL this being said... there are some Advanced riders out there that do not have vents and will report no problems.

There are plenty of Vent makers out there... Have a look!

Last edited:
A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I have added the SLP material to my hood vents and have no other venting.

You are absolutely correct about the decrease in airflow this configuration.

The Outside Air Temperature in AK has been very cold for the past few months, but the under hood temps and clutch temps were still high, after flatland/swamp carving for about 2.5 hrs straight with no breaks.

I am looking more towards adding about four small DC powered computer cooling fans in strategic locations, with aftermarket venting to increase airflow, and the fans to add a constant airflow, especially when slowed down or stopped while picking a line, lending a hand, super slow boondocking, etc.

The fans are durable, fairly lightweight, DC powered and I got a crate of them in all sizes in the lab.

I believe there are DC outs on my PRO, and the wifes PRO has a battery for her e-start (if it ever comes in, off backorder)

Whats your opinion on this?

(Speaking of ducting, here in AK there are a few trappers I see who have used ABS pipe and duct tape to duct hot air from their fan cooled Ski-Doo Tundra engine cover all the way up to just under their chin, so they can ride their trapline in unimaginably low temps.)

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I put the SLP large side panel vents in from day one...... you should see all the snow that melts off those after ripping it up ....and the steam that exits them.

I haven't had any issues with them yet.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I've found that riding in deep powder the snow channels inside the hood and towards the outside side panels.

On the right side the snow for the most part melts away due to the heat off the engine and exhaust but snow will build up on the inside down by the chaincase.

As for the left side a lot of snow will build up on top of the clutch cover, electrical harness connectors, and oil reservoir. So much so you will hardly be able to see the oil fill cap for all the snow on top of it. Also the side panel starts to build up ice and snow below the vent. The snow that does start to melt leaves a lot of water droplets all over on the clutch side.

The next ride out the only change I made was to put duct tape (band aid) on the left side hood ducting to close them off. I left the right ducting open and I left the left side (clutch side) panel vent open. In closing the left hood ducting the left side stayed dry all day on the inside. Some snow may still be getting in thru the left side panel vent but not enough to create water droplets.

As for getting rid of the band aid in favor of a perminent fix I'm going to try pet screen material over just the left side hood ducting and I would like to install some panel vents to help get the heat out.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've had some of the readers recently send me emails about running the sleds in deep fine "blower" powder and it getting into the hood thru the large mesh in the hood openings.

Most of it simply melts on the pipe... but some are getting it on their clutches. Burandt has been noticing this on his sleds and asked one of the Aftermarkets to make some covers for the footwell areas.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Interesting thread. I have always wondered if anyone has ever taken under the hood temp readings before and after installing vent kits. This would be hard to do because you would have to pretty much install them on the hill to validate findings. Sometimes I see sleds that went overboard with the vents on what seems like every square inch. Then they ride in the deep power and every vent is completely clogged. Wondering what the under hood temps are now versus stock. Also wonder if you could optimize your vents by putting them to allow the precise inflow and outflow air. I agree that in mountain riding they are not really ducts but vents to let your sled breath, or what mine seems to do more of is, sweat, when stopped. Vents in deep powder seem to be more beneficial to helping your sled cool when you are resting and not so much when riding. I sometimes wonder if putting vents on is like putting most cans on. It makes it louder, but do they really ad power? I am not saying I don't run vents, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I hear what you are saying... that was my point about ducting vs. venting.

At the speeds most of the serious mountain riders travel... aftermarket vents are not really allowing cool air to be ducted into the engine bay.... IMO... that is a misconception for the most part.....even on the slightly fwd facing vent panels

Even with snow covered vents... heat can still escape.

As long as the aftermarket venting is quality built and does not jeopardize the strength of the panels nor go into frivoulous small locations... I see it as a benefit.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new vent coming out for the hoods on the PRO that will keep the snow out of the engine compartment.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
>>Keep your eyes peeled for a new vent coming out for the hoods on the PRO that will keep the snow out of the engine compartment.<<

Frogskinz supposedly has them already (available from Straightline). Anyone have them or have some pics?

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I'm with you, I've seen some on here diss the use of prefilter material on vents because it doesn't flow air when hit with a blow dryer, LOL! That's NOT the point as you correctly pointed out!

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
All this is great info but unless you are having clutch failure or belt failure or even electrical failures, who cares how hot it gets under the hood as long as your getting good cold air in the throttle bodies all this venting is money wasted, sure on the dragon it was a must or belts went away but i've heard no complaints on the pro yet. clutches don't seem to be fading from heat that I've heard and to compare to Burandt is silly cuz very very few people ride as much or as extreme as he and his buddies do. None the less i suppose it can't hurt either IMO.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
My pro is completely stock and both of my clutches and belt were 20-30 F hotter than my friends IQ with the side panel vents. We ran both sleds hard stopped and measured with a infrared temp gun.

Anyhow, I ordered up some 2 Cool Air Vents for my side panels.

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
All this is great info but unless you are having clutch failure or belt failure or even electrical failures, who cares how hot it gets under the hood as long as your getting good cold air in the throttle bodies all this venting is money wasted, sure on the dragon it was a must or belts went away but i've heard no complaints on the pro yet. clutches don't seem to be fading from heat that I've heard and to compare to Burandt is silly cuz very very few people ride as much or as extreme as he and his buddies do. None the less i suppose it can't hurt either IMO.

Consider this an official complaint...it gets VERY hot! "venting is money waster"???...It cost me $136 for ALL 6 of the 2 Cool vents....that is les than it cost me to replace my belt after I nuked it in 4ft of poweder...

Your post makes no sense to me

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
let's get serious first off no way can u out drink me enough said on that , next what doesn't make sence? all i said was if it's not needed it is a waste of cash , then I said like the d-8's if it is needed then great go for it it will be a good investment as u discribed but I have heard of no belt issues and no clutch failures thus far maybe they are coming, question do you vent your truck engine comp, it gets plenty hot in there when your stuck or going up the mountain pulling an enclosed trailer in fresh snow? just saying not dising anyone

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You can't tell me that venting won't help. All of the rubber components are simply going to last longer with cooler operating temps. Just because the belt doesn't explode doesn't mean that it's ideal for it.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
I've had some of the readers recently send me emails about running the sleds in deep fine "blower" powder and it getting into the hood thru the large mesh in the hood openings.

Most of it simply melts on the pipe... but some are getting it on their clutches. Burandt has been noticing this on his sleds and asked one of the Aftermarkets to make some covers for the footwell areas.

heres my take on the venting,thanks mtnhorse
I have also ordered the gill vents,Not here yet

IMG_20110201_104802.jpg

IMG_20110201_104955.jpg

IMG_20110201_104834.jpg

IMG_20110122_161335-1.jpg

IMG_20110201_104819.jpg

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
How much do the 2cool vents cost with or without the pro rmk emblems? Their website looks pretty horse and buggy.

I can't tell you the price with emblems...and the website may be "horse and buggy" but I tell you what, their vents are really, really nice.

I surfed the net for days trying to decide on which brand to go with...I ended up with the full compliment of 2Cool's for side vents and clutch vents, and the xxmods knee vents...will post some pics...they are really great quality the 2Cools............and there is no benefit in me posting this

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
Consider this an official complaint...it gets VERY hot! "venting is money waster"???...It cost me $136 for ALL 6 of the 2 Cool vents....that is les than it cost me to replace my belt after I nuked it in 4ft of poweder...

Your post makes no sense to me

Where did you get 6 2cool vents for $136? Just the side panel set lists for $139. Thanks

J

J.Jensen

Feb 15, 2010
Northern Norway
What about the venting polaris lists as accessories?

Worth it as "free" upgrade for snowcheck 2012 or is it better to spend a few quid on an aftermarket setup?

Premium Features