• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions of Aerocharger turbos?

A

Aerocharger_Brad

Jun 28, 2010
www.aerocharger.com
Our turbos simply aren't designed to run boost levels like 25psi+, which is how we are able to out-spool conventional turbochargers down low. You can use a Garrett to get that boost level but you will be hard pressed to find one that will spool up as quickly as ours. Of course you will be able to make the same power with conventional turbo but you won't be able to make the same power curve.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Then just how high can I go? First thing I think of is that we only run 300 feet. And we run it in roughly 3.6 - 3.8 seconds I'm not asking the turbo to sustain these big boost numbers for an extended amount of time.. is this possible? If not, what is? If it blows up, it blows up that all part of racing. I'm looking to know what are it capabilities. Any thoughts. We are going to run in bakersfield ca in a few weeks. How far can I push it?

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
Does anybody have a recomendation as to what to replace a 66 with for a vmax 4 ?

If you have the kit we're thinking of, it was produced by a licensee of Aerocharger from 1994 - 1996 and they've been out of business since 2001. They made some great systems - most of them came with a 53 series, so your kit might have had a rare 66 series prototype. We still get calls about those systems, so you should be set if you ever decide to pull and sell the kit. Or if you like, we can service it for you or set you up with the latest model 66 series.

Let us know, we geek out over the old aero applications :)

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Here is a video for you Gus, as you can tell the aero spools very slowly:face-icon-small-ton, not sure why the Garret's did not want to play on this bunny hill...

You need to get out to the big hills once, and see it first hand, spewing from the keyboard is getting old

We ride with lots of Garret's and see results first hand

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFredoJRk4

You are right and you are dead wrong.
No aero of anysize will outflow a garrett .or out perform one.
thats all just aero propaganda..

its a shame there are no real unbiased tests other than the dyno results that DO prove the weakness and false adveritsing of the aerocharger.

read this quick it will be deleted in blink of an eye

G
Apr 23, 2008
Gentleman asked a question furd.. answer him truthfully .. 212 hp 7 psi not even close to 240. I ain't scared of any loud mouth threats. The truth tells itself every race every weekend..

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
And another thing, you have pushed the air water exchanger harder than most, found that to be a bunch of crap

When you have the correctly matched compressor/ turbine map to a engine, charge temps stay in line

The video above after that long of a pull will still be under 100f at the top... And the veins on the aero make it great for spool, dial it for your liking or load...

They really work that much better:whoo:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
In my opinion an Aerocharger turbo doesn't work. Ask any reputable turbo builder if they have seen an aerocharger work.
Add in an attitude and aerocrap is a no go for me or for anyone I ride with.
I don't believe they will be in business for too much longer.
Cya!

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
This thread is almost funny.....I called brad last fall when deciding which kit to buy he was very nice and informative and one of the first things he told me was if you are looking for huge boost go elsewhere. These kits are for 90% of the people mtn riding not Fairview or 25lb drag racing. Geeesh

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
It's been amazing to watch Aero re-invent themselves over the past bunch of years, and all of the success they've had in the mountain market and RMSHA! If I was buying a 2015 E-Tec today, it wouldn't hit the snow without one of these kits. Our dealer has over 80 of them in the field with brisk sales/install numbers each fall season. If the package wasn't working, of the product wasn't well supported - that herd would have quickly found their power elsewhere. Aero is not the only option for the E-Tec. TSS, Silber, B00ndawkers all make formidable kits...

I'm not sure why people think the drag racers run 25lbs of boost?! Check out the video below, and keep in mind the Yamaha camp is making over 700hp in some applications. Glad there are lots of options; just a few short years ago 600-short tracks were getting all of the development attention, and the mountain segment simply got a tunnel extension & longer rails. Clearly a lot has changed!

42psi, 605hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4SqIaWvV1Y

Results...(love the fur babushka)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL8K13ojzsk

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You should go buy one right away. Especially since the dealer installs 80 per year means they run perfect.
Of course aero is gonna be nice on the phone when you are a new customer. Try calling back when you have problems and then report back.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I'm not an Aerocharger customer, nor do I have any interest in defending them - they can speak for themselves.

Keep in mind - No vendor is perfect. Some are downright terrible(cough, hack...Sicamous, BC...). Others are diligent and honestly work to earn your business. The manner in which any vendor approaches a customer-satisfaction issue matters. That said, fortunately your ranting doesn't match what we're seeing from these guys here in Colorado. If today, their product & service sucked as bad as you claim, another vendor would have filled the demand by now. Boosting E-Tec's is a competitive marketplace.

Solid 2-way communication is a good first step: I did NOT say my dealer installs 80 per year.

You should go buy one right away. Especially since the dealer installs 80 per year means they run perfect.
Of course aero is gonna be nice on the phone when you are a new customer. Try calling back when you have problems and then report back.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Like I said, you should go buy one right away.
Your opinion holds no water.
Do you own an aerocharger? No
Have you owned an aerocharger? No
Riding with someone who owns one doesn't count because if they are having problems, they are too embarrassed to admit they wasted $6,000 on a turbo that doesn't perform as it should.
In addition, few people have the means to toss a $6,000 turbo setup and buy another brand. They are stuck with Aero. They try to get some help from Aero and Aero will blame the customers install, the fuel controller, point fingers at everyone else and wash their hands of it. They will however, rebuild it for the customer at a cost of up to $2,000
If someone says an aero works, their shop consists of a pen and checkbook or they are in the majority who sit at the bottom of the hill and watch and then brag to their friends in the bar who aren't in the know that they have a cool aero turbo on their sled.
An interesting note however, is that Aero turbo setup is no lighter than a garret. I own both and I own a scale and I have weighed them.
Do a google search on aerocharger and read over the threads. You will find the same crap with aero over and over.
Aero reinventing itself? Like the exploding ford pinto? Like the Edsel? Like the 6.0 power stroke? Like multi level marketing scams? Like the Polaris dragon?
Even with flashy advertising, no dyno numbers and a few leghumpers, some things you just can't fix.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Riding with someone who owns one doesn't count because if they are having problems, they are too embarrassed to admit they wasted $6,000 on a turbo that doesn't perform as it should.
In addition, few people have the means to toss a $6,000 turbo setup and buy another brand. They are stuck with Aero. They try to get some help from Aero and Aero will blame the customers install, the fuel controller, point fingers at everyone else and wash their hands of it. They will however, rebuild it for the customer at a cost of up to $2,000
If someone says an aero works, their shop consists of a pen and checkbook or they are in the majority who sit at the bottom of the hill and watch and then brag to their friends in the bar who aren't in the know that they have a cool aero turbo on their sled.
An interesting note however, is that Aero turbo setup is no lighter than a garret. I own both and I own a scale and I have weighed them.
Do a google search on aerocharger and read over the threads. You will find the same crap with aero over and over.
Aero reinventing itself? Like the exploding ford pinto? Like the Edsel? Like the 6.0 power stroke? Like multi level marketing scams? Like the Polaris dragon?
Even with flashy advertising, no dyno numbers and a few leghumpers, some things you just can't fix.
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. Lol.

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
aero turbos

i'm going to take a guess that you don't know everyone that has installed an aero on a snowmobile and, if that's accurate, then it's personal for you. if you had problems with your setup, call a spade a spade. at least when gus bashes aero, there is a history between them. i don't know what happened in that situation or care to. they are big boys. what i know as an 800 etec aero owner since 11/2011 is that i have over 1500 boosted miles at 8 psi and have never had an issue with the turbo itself. i did a different exhaust and intake but for one of their early kits, it has minimal lag and hauls the mail. i know this thread started as a 1200 turbo; i'm just saying what i know about the 66 turbo itself from my experience with an 800 etec. i have owned sleds with garretts (turbo apex @ 17lbs - boondocker, turbo m8 @ 8lbs - cutler, and a turbo pro at 10lbs - silber). all worked well but i do like the simplicity of the aero. fwiw in 2011 no one in the mountain segment had a f*****'clue how to successfully boost an etec but somehow aero, with a massive amount of help from the dealer mtndoo mentioned above (and that dealer's connection to ski-doo) figured it out to the point where it was very rideable and didn't go into limp mode and/or grenade.

i say all this not as a "leghumper". i don't see eye to eye with aero on some aspects of their kit but that's my preference for what i believe works. that being said, i never had a concern regarding the 66. if everyone you know with an aero has problems (or sits at the bottom of the hill - btw made me laugh but still had me saying wtf, really?) it might be their ability to install and or tune. i don't know where your located at or your riding group but the etec aeros around here, at least in the groups i ride with, are solid.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
So you changed the intake and exhaust? Interesting.
Why?
Yes, the aero is a simple installation but it just doesn't work. Fact.
Is it lighter than a garret? No.
For parking lot posers it's just great
For serious mountain riders, it's junk.
I'm not gonna point out why it's junk as aero doesn't pay me to do their R&D. Let them figure it out.
As above, in my opinion, aero is like the Ford 6.0 powerstroke, a fad that will quickly fade when the truth is exposed.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Scott -

Looked into this a little bit more. (mostly because I had been screwed by a certain MFG as well; not AC) Seems the fellow had a custom kit from CMX that used an AC, he nuked a piston, put pieces through the Aerocharger unit and went directly to AC with a warranty claim. Sounds like a situation that would suck for anyone, but the way it was handled by the customer broke most convention and didn't get him too far with the folks who offered to help - including Mark @ CMX. Threads reveal lots of blame to go around, and it all got pinned on the most expensive component. Got to admit AC didn't do themselves any favors posting iPhone screen shots of a wacko-customer conversation. What I don't see in the threads through all of the jaw-flapping is a conclusive cause of the failure. In the end he sold the "kit" for $600 in a pretty entertaining f/s thread. Looks like the payback directed towards AC is re-living the horror endlessly(apparently CMX is off the hook somehow & any possibility of pilot error is omitted). Unfortunate, but sounds like a reasonably isolated incident that speaks for itself. <end> 10min of searching threads.

MD.

Last edited:
Premium Features