• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo RT : going to do it!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You already have 4 high impedance injectors on the sled so you shouldn't need to add any more. If you are just going to use stock pump and stock pressure you should be good up to 10 psi...depending elevation, if you just fuel on your primary injectors. If you can control all 4 you should be able to crank it up a little more.
its not a factor of needing more then they can provide.. its where they provide it.. the bottom end needs fuel for the 1000 motor to live properly.. sdi sucks in that aspect.. theres a reason RT's puke motors.

P
Oct 26, 2010
Ok, got a new turbo and my flange waterjetted out. i'll put some pics up
tommr with it and the oil tank. just waiting on the boost tubes, AIC, Oil pump, blowoff and clutch kit. then i can put the gauges on and start tuning this thing! there's a company here in SLC that does ceramic coatings so when i'm done i'll have the high temp stuff coated. ya!! :tea:

P
Oct 26, 2010
Ok, Update time! this is a long one so here we go. got my mandrel bent aluminum pipe and silicone couplings today.
so it's time to plumb it in and see how things look.
Lets start things off with a little machine work, just incase some of you are wondering how parts are made or just
what things do, i'm making some pipe thread bungs to weld on to the oil tank.
here i'm cleaing up the outside of the round stock making it round and clean.
Turboinstall22.jpg

another of the round bar trued up.
Turboinstall23.jpg

next is to bore it out, (drill bit) to the correct size for the pipe tap.
Turboinstall26.jpg

then i'm putting a little angle on the face just for cosmetics.
Turboinstall24.jpg

next, run the pipe in and make some threads.
Turboinstall25.jpg

now i can part it off, and weld it to the tank!
Turboinstall18.jpg

here's what it looks like.
Turboinstall20.jpg

Ok, enough screwing around on the lathe, lets get to the turbo!!
here's some stuff that showed up today! not the air box i made that.
Turboinstall21.jpg

using a 2.5" holesaw i cut the holes in the charge box for the stand off tubes.
Turboinstall28.jpg

here's the charge box install onto the throttle bodies.
Turboinstall1.jpg

another one
Turboinstall2.jpg

here i am checking the bends before i tack them
Turboinstall4.jpg

and here's the pipes welded and installed!
Turboinstall8.jpg

more
Turboinstall7.jpg

here's some more

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
WOW<, this thing is FLYING along, I like it.. you got the shop and the know how to get the fab done up in a hurry what fueling system did you end up landing on?? also, clutching??

also, throw another support or two under the turbo.. will really help keeping things from destroying themselves when you start crashing around.

and one last thought.. its a somewhat annoing thing to do, but you will really appreciate it when you dont have to keep dealing with cracked pipes... take your stock pipe, cut off the stupif little stamped edge that they "welded" closed, and then weld a peice of like 16 gauge 1" strap across the gap.. I know its a silly task, BUT, the pipes do like to split along that seam, its cheap insurance, and makes life a lot easier when you dont have to try and tune and figure out wtf is happeneing to it! I know how things go when you build them yourself, and its nice to eliminate lots of variables right off the bat.

G
Apr 23, 2008
He's got the itch bad MAN !!!!...

rapid assault install !!

adding support to the turbo is paramount.. I use a compressor side to frame mount as well as mount the exh joint ( flange) to the chassis as well..
when you mount the end of the pipe to chassis,, it will also keep the pipe from wanting to blow off at the y.:high5:
Once its bolted togther it cant pull off without lots of force..I still use 3 spring min, per side of y pipe.. but thats just my old guy fear...LOL:director:

excellent work, a wet rt turbo is a happy rt turbo....

Gus:ranger:

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
you will need to get a new pipe i tried welding mine it still kept cracking about every 3 rides also who's going to do your head work?

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
just a little sugestion from me is to have a lip for the air box where the throttle bodies attach to. i see you have 2 clamps on the blue boots from the throttle bodys, but when they get alot of oil on them they blow off and it sucks. happen to a friend of mine.

by the way this build is awesome, good work

Rob

P
Oct 26, 2010
thanks for the input! After i'm happy with the final design of the air box and piping i'll put beads on the ends where my silicone joins them.
head work on my sled, well i'm not doing any as of now, i'm going to
take my chances on the dyno and hope for the best!

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
well start making some phone calls and see how much hope you can buy, because your going to need it

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I would also recommend a lip on your coupler connections. Easy way to make them is to TIG a small bead on the end of your tubing.

Your project is making some ground!

As far as outlet exhaust goes, I would recommend getting a small inline muffler. I straight piped mine out the bottom, thought the turbo would quiet her down some...lol...not much. Its especially bad in the spring with hard packed snow.

P
Oct 26, 2010
Ok, well i got my additional injector controller, finished the oil tank and decided to take a spin in the back yard..
:revinmotion: ohh ya!!!!! only enough room to get up to 1psi but man that thing is sweet! only leaned out around 7k rpm.
i need my bigger fuel pump and snow to tune this thing in. the dyno will give a baseline but will really only tune top-end and not really drive-ability.. so until the snow flies i'll be taking care of the small details, small but many of them.
gauges, wiring, fuel pressure regulator, secondary injector rail, clutching.. etc. so for now it's complete but far from riding.
sequential blow off is sweet :)
So here's some updated pics of the install, things are just kind of "in-place"
i still need to make it all final and do the "show finish" but you get the point.
i want to say within a month it will be running at full capacity. thanks for the input and help everytone!!
On another note, the oil pump for the turbo is a little over-kill. running the back yard my wire came off the pump and that's when i noticed a huge bump in response in the throttle. so i'll be putting a pressure regulator inline to limit the pressure to the bearings.. like i said before: this pump is used on journal bearing turbos!
Here's a pic of the blow off valve, if you can see it back in there.
final6.jpg

over view of the install.
final5.jpg

oil tank< i don't know what my buddy was drawing on there. :)
final2.jpg

boost gauge cheapo harbor freight thing until i get a VDO
final1.jpg

and a few of the grass i tore up! :) haha! wife is going to kill me.
final4.jpg

final3.jpg

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
When we used that particualr pump for ball bearing turbos we install a T in the feed and return it back to the tank to reduce pressure and flow,, installing a restrictor will kill that particular pump in short order, really short order...

so in essence we a re bleeding about 70 % back to the tank.

Gus

P
Oct 26, 2010
I'll put a pressure gauge in line so i can see what i'm getting for pressure to the turbo. looks like i'm off to my pneumatics supply house for some t-fittings, i'm kind of worried about high oil temps and the oil thinning out and then returning too much to the tank. but i guess that's what the gauge is for!

G
Apr 23, 2008
fwiw,, I use strictly 5wt synth for the last 6 yrs,, no worrries. the oil is not an issue with ball turbos,, as long as its there and its synth its almost bullet proof ..

gus

Premium Features