• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buyer beware!

H

High Roller

Hi,my name is Trevor , I run a small shop in Athabasca, Alberta. I been running the rev xp since 2008, also have lots of happy customers that run xps which i have worked on. Been dealing with Art from Engine Tech, Joe from the Rev Zone, Jared from ARP. All these guys have awesome products that work, without them i wouldnt be building sleds. I have been build sled for my self and friends for years now, but only in the last two as a business. But this isnt my only business, I have been building trucks for the last six years, and still doing it. Trucks that are in mags like diesel world. I builded a good name in the business from customer service, and making it right for the customer, cause they are the one who put the food on the table. Sorry about the story, just want people to have a background of me. This is only my second post on this forum, I use it more for info, then putting my two cents in. So to the point, I have rode 500hp apexs, 860 big bores, etc.... but never rode a two stroke turboed, so that was my misson for this riding season. Also to give customers another choice for power adders. So I started looking at what turbo kits where out for the xp. I seen that Turbo Performance, R&D custom turbo werx and Boost Werx all had a kit. Decide that the garrett turbo is what I want to try. I contacted Dave H. from R&D custom turbo werx, had about a two hour call with him. After the phone call, felt that he had a good product and was ordering one kit to test on my sled then become a canadian dealer for his kits. I talked with Dave numerous times after, about set-ups and or mods. I send him two spare 800r heads laying around for him to test with, which only took three days with regular mail. About the second week in November send Dave my carbs along with via paypal money in full for a turbo kit. I know he only ask for half, but me as a business owner I didnt feel it was right to put him out the money as I was getting my kit at a dealer price. I talked with Dave a couple more times after to ensure he receive the money and carbs. He said he was waiting on parts which is the name of the game, so I was fine with that, 4 weeks go by and still no turbo kit. Harder to get a hold of Dave. So write him a private msg, "boom" get a call. Still no TURBO but was get one rush that day, and all other parts where boxed ready to go. Another two weeks go by, still no TURBO and harder to get DAVE on the phone, so I put my first post on this forum. Buyer Beware! Got a phone call! woo... Got a different story, but was going to get a call back in the am, with answer what was up. So I guess you can figure out no call this morning. But theres more..... The short time I had the Buyer Beware post up, boy did I get lots of pm msgs.

ex:
"Same boat man. I have thought about doing the same thing you are doing with the thread. But I didn't want to piss Dave off.
Currently I have been trying to get my money and carbs back for a week and a half now.
I was told two weeks also. I sent him my full payment and my carbs on the 21st of Nov.
I have called him twice a day since the 13th of dec. and only talked to him once. Left voice mail and sent him pm's on here. He posted on here like 9 times a day for a while and still never answered an email.
Two other guys in our boat have e mailed me, telling me to hang in there. With the long wait, no contact, and I felt the smartest thing to do was try and get my money back.
But that is tough when dude will not pick up the phone."

"Trevor,
You are not alone on this!! just want you to know that I help Turbo Performance out down here in the Rockies and they have kits ready to ship today. I am the one that posted the XP 800 video and that sled now has 700 miles on it already and still running great. Just giving you an option."

"What was the thead about? did u send money to Dave and r waiting for a turbo?"

"hmmmm...i also sent half the money for a kit in early Dec and have recieved nothing....waiting patiently tho...let me know how you make out."

"Hey hows it going? Just a question, i must have missed your last thread you deleted, but am wandering what it was about. I see you out of athabasca, I am In lloydminster, anyway seems like you were dealing with Dave H. just wandering cause i am also and have been waiting for a turbo"

"**** **** he had my carbs since june, and payment, finally got my carbs back two weeks ago, has been saying he was shipping my kit since aug"

So these is all info for guys looking for Xp turbo kits. Probably which one not to buy. I know Im not alone with this, but as a business owner I need to have product for my customers, or the customers go somewhere else. Just curious what Dave is doing with the money, or why kits ordered in june are out yet. Or why you would still tell people two weeks know that you couldnt produce a product. I see there lots of bad talk about which kit is better. But any kit is better then no carbs or money. Dave I hope you the best with you business, but dude you got lots to learn. Sorry about the long winded thread, but I feel this may help get some return calls, even return money that belongs to people that just want to ride there sled.

Thank you for your time.

Trevor.

P.S Dave I glad your riding your sled this weekend in Cooke, to bad for the paying customers waiting to ride. I do expect a call or email with a tracking number for my carbs, and a email from paypal with my cash.

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
Vernal, UT
Dave.
Ive been trying to get you on the phone so we could talk in private and our dirty laundry wouldn't have to be public. But since your phone goes right to the voice mail. I guess I will ask you here. I didn't think it would be to professional or ethical to ask for my money back in public. But it seems the only way to get a hold of you is a snowest post.
Sorry.
But I have asked you to send me my carbs back awhile ago, and still nothing. And now it seems there are so many people in my same predicament, I too would like a refund on everything that I sent to you. If you have installed my power jets guess I will pay for that. But please don't make me wait much longer to ride my own sled.
Sorry to ask in public. Wish you would have answered an e mail or the phone.
Josh from Vernal
paypal is not my best option. I don't want to have to pay to get my own money back.

Last edited:
pretty garbage, I was very very interested about the turbo kits, Dave was the one I was watching the most. I wanted to see how it preformed for guys, held up, what kind of tech support you got with set up problems, ect, ect
But if you can't even get your parts, I doubt you'll get any tech support.
I'll be keeping a eye on this one here.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Vernal, UT
pretty garbage, I was very very interested about the turbo kits, Dave was the one I was watching the most. I wanted to see how it preformed for guys, held up, what kind of tech support you got with set up problems, ect, ect
But if you can't even get your parts, I doubt you'll get any tech support.
I'll be keeping a eye on this one here.

its my own fault.
Before I ordered, I called him and left voice mails four times.
Then I told my friends "I might be making a mistake here. If he wont call me back so I can send him money, then what are the chances he will call back when I need help. I give him two more days to call back."
Then he called just as i was about to give up on him.
Now look what happened.
My wife HATES snowmobiling and me going and doing it. and she even feels sorry for me after all this. If you knew her and how bad she hate sledding, you would understand that that is really saying something.

G
Apr 23, 2008
With Turbo performance making the switch to garrets there is NO reason to exclude them from your choices.
I endorsed the R&D system because of the TURBO choice and powerjet placement. Now these differences have been eliminated.

ANY kit is better than NO KIT !!

No one wants to wait for product and no one deserves to NOT get a reliable answer ..

Though I feel Daves powerjet placement set him apart, and damn he does have a very clean install , if he's not meeting his responsibility.. WALK AWAY>

Get a turbo on your sled, then anything you dislike you can change out for your own personality..

I fell as bad for you folks as you do,, as I am one who spoke UP for Dave and his better fueling location.
I have 2 very good regular customers waiting patiently for me to get their sleds boosted too. I will not wait any longer than end of January,, then its Turbo Performance that gets the check or I start welding boxs and mufflers and charge tubes myself,, but,, that just makes no sense when you can just GET a system from TP,or silber or even a bare bones stripper kit from CPI..

Sorry guys. I hope for all involved that this is fixed in a professional manner and ,,,,fixed NOW. enough ...

Gus

D
Nov 26, 2007
I have been followed these Halverson Horror threads for some time now. My buddy is the one that "tried" to do an 860 turbo from R&D. So far its complete JUNK. Dave set the carbs up on that sled. IT WOULDNT RUN. Something funny about having to run 380 mains and it had 480's and having to run a 17 pilot and it had a 45 pilot. NO CHIT IT WOULDNT RUN. Dave would never admit to making this mistake though.. The next weekend my buddy went to get his sled it still would not run after Dave telling him it was "ripping". My buddy drove 7 hours to pick the sled up only to find out that Dave was now blaming the brand new Garrett turbo for failing and thats why it wouldnt run.. Dave once again took this sled back home and "tried" to fix it. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD.... The sled went back home with Dave and now is blown up.. So this time he blames Big John (SHR) for a motor failure.. Daves solution to this was to junk the 860 ( its not his money so he dont care) and put a stock 800 top end on it.

I know a couple people that live near Dave and the word I keep getting from them is he is a complete TOOL. I had 1 guy call me and tell me some interesting stories about Mr. Halverson. I feel sorry for anyone that is dealing with him at this time.. You all that have money out to him better hurry and get something done about it. I DONT SEE HIM BEEING AROUND FOR MUCH LONGER. The sledding community is a fairly tight knit group of people and once somebody gets burned by a company, EVERYONE finds out about it..

You might as well add R&D turbowerx to the list with PSI & TEAM 2....

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Where is Jake in all this? He was the one talking about giving 100% money back garantee on these kits. More like 100% money taken and no product garantee. Looks like he is taking the high road, I have not seen one post of Triple7 on any of these threads calling out Dave. But back in June, man he was on every thread and praising the hell out of these kits. I spoke up back then and questioned the amount of R&D was actually on these kits, and Gus and Jake and a few other supporters were like a pack of wolves.

I feel for the guy's waiting, I went through this last year, but my builder came through and I have not had any problems since. Let's hope Dave and Jake come through for you guy's and put smiles on your faces.

Last edited:

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You know, as much as these manufactures surf all the forums you would think they would have time to call their customers back.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
drinkwyo

the stock fuel pump does not put out hardly any fuel presure at a idle and still not much psi when operating full throttle. it is a pulse pump ran off of vacume pulses in your engine cases.
the external electric fuel pump that is added with these kits is controled by a regulator that puts out alot more fuel pressure then the stock pump. they can actually run up to 80psi or so and are rated up to 500hp. On these setups they are set at a base fuel presure of 3-6psi and then fuel presure increses 1psi for every 1lb of boost. so 10lbs of boost is 13-16psi fuel presure. That is why they actually jet down from stock. Smaller jet with alot more fuel presure puts out alot more fuel then bigger jet and stock fuel presure
I am currently runing 7psi on pump gas. stock mains are 480's and I am runing 380's from 6-8,000'. May go smaller mains or shut power jets off all together above 9,000'. stock pilots are 17.5's. I had to turn my base fuel presure clear down to 2psi and turn the fuel/air screws in a half turn so that it would not load up and sputter above 8,000'. it runs way too rich at idle. I am going to be putting 15 pilots in mine and play with air screws to see if I can get better throttle responce at elevation above 8,000'.
In another post dave said that the plating on the cylinders flaked. That is us chromes fault and not dave's or big john's fault.
Hopefully they get the 860 figured out and runing good. I would recomend putting the 800 back on for now so he can ride also. I had a set of cylinders from us chrome that the plating failed and it took well over a month to get them back.
Sorry I don't know all the details on every thing else that is going on with the sled. Just thought that I would clear up that dave is not way off on his jetting specs.
Best of luck to every one.

Last edited:
C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I'm really sad to see all of this. I was very hopeful that having new players in the game would fast track 2 stroke turbo skidoo's in the way that has happened with arctic cats. I figured this would be a win win for everyone.

Feel bad for you guys that have paid to play. It really sucks to get burned. you guys put in some good change too. Not just a couple of bucks but a stack of C notes....

Not only that, Big John did everything he was suppose to do and then some on the 860 build. And then he still gets egg thrown at him. It think everyone here knows how hard John works to have the stellar reputation that he has. Only person i've ever dealt with that actually calls you back in the snowmobile biz. Even the times i didn't leave a message he calls back. :beer; cheers to you John. Keep doing what you do.

The level of talk this last 6 months was just incredible. Its seems that all it was. Just talk. Week 2 of Janurary now folks. Snow is going to be gone before you know it.

I kinda feel stupid now for bad mouthing the turbo performance guys. At least they ship parts right?:beer;

D
Nov 26, 2007
BADASS1000

You must have misread my first post. We knew that 380's and 17 pilots were supposed to be in the sled.. When the turbo guru at R&D did the carbs he put 480 mains and 45 pilots in them. Then when the owner of this sled went to ride it the first weekend and it would not get out of its own way, we made a phone call to Dave. After a while he called back and could not even tell us what he had put in it for jetting. He said he could not remember. This is not good customer support if you ask me. A guy who builds turbo kits should know exactly what he put in for jetting..

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
wow the sh!t hit the fan here. it will be fun to see if the fawkstick shows up in cooke. he is just lucky it wasn't me that he stole $$$ from.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
ok. :cool:
I misunderstood you when reading it the first time. Didn't think it would have 480's and 45 pilots. 380's and 17's should be close. might have to make adjustments from their. that is close with the stock bore. Don't know how it will differe with the 860 and port work.

:beer;:beer;

M
Dec 4, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
Hey there I have followed these threads and found some good info and some really bad info, just like most of this forum. I only have a couple things to say.
I have been involved with turbo sleds for quite a while now and I am invloved with a shop that has an XP 800 running as good as I have seen. They are still running the RAVE valves and not running any power jets. The RAVE valves have been replumbed to work properly with boost and are adjustable as to when they open. the carbs are vented differently than any sugestions on here. The jetting has been tested from 3000 feet to 9000 feet with no problems. it ran flawless at 9000 feet( where it was final tuned) and on the way down it ran the same egt temps and air fuel numbers as it did up on the hill. I was asked not to tell too much about it, as they are working on getting a kit setup. I can say this much about the setup.

7lbs boost
390 mains
stock pilots with fuel screw richend up 1/4 turn
441 ramps
250-380 primary spring ( 4300 rpm engagement with no lag at all)
2mm oversized rollers
18 grams pins
stock secondary spring
shockwave helix

said there is more to get out clutching, but it beat a turboed yamaha tripple at 15 lbs boost in climbing and dragracing.

if you want more info pm me please

Last edited:
Premium Features