• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Workouts/Routine's to stay in shape

J
Ladies (AND guys).... this sounds pretty good to me. I think it would be fun to have some sort of little incentive *kick* to push us all a little harder. I think a new thread designated for our goals, tracking progress, & results is a great idea... It would prob be easiest for us ALL to gloat about our success, and send out kudos to all our SW friends! :)

Do we want to have some sort of ending "prize" or something to keep it going? .... not too sure how well that would work, since each of us have different goals. Well, on second thought, maybe a better idea would be to have a designated "reward" for when we do meet our goals!! An example of this could be maybe, as simple as no chocolate (most girl's faves) until ya meed your goals; ORRRRR no beer (LOL... NOT)? I'd be open to other ideas too (origionally I was thinking it would be cool if everyone puts in for a days worth of "sledding" gas, then realized that would be hard since we are all pretty globally spread out)....

I also think it would be cool if we do this, we keep up on encouraging eachother. Afterall, we are all doing this for similar reasons, right?! :face-icon-small-win

Ps. Congrats on ther excellent job on your success Diamond!! Keep up the good work! ....ya are def teaching us all a lesson or two, for sure! :D

Hey hottstuf lets start the thread.. not sure about a money incentive, although its a great idea I don't know if we need more than just motivation for self-improvment!
Next step... :D

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
:)

awesome job on 2 more lbs!!! It's ok that you can't workout ~ give your body that time to recoop. :) your body will thank you for it when you get back to good health. ;) take some time to let your body heal before doing anything else. It's telling you that you need rest - listen to your body or you might end up worse and that wouldn't be good. :face-icon-small-sad

be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest, rest, rest will be some of the best medicine for your body. :)

take care and i hope your team wins!! :beer;

x2! ;)

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
Last few years on trips from flatland to mountains, my body took some times to adjust to high altitude and sometimes, I breathe like a horse for being out of shape especially on first trip of the year then second trip, my body got used to high altitude without any workouts. This year, I started doing treadmill and see if this would help me not breathe like a horse on first trip! :D

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My Wife's Christmas Present for her 2010 fitness program

bowflex_treadclimber.jpg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Aside from some jogging, this is the single most important excercise you can do to get in shape for sledding, or damn near any other activity I can think of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift

Strong lower back pays off in any aspect of life I can think of, but especially when you have a snow-laden 500+ pound sled to unstick ;)

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Aside from some jogging, this is the single most important excercise you can do to get in shape for sledding, or damn near any other activity I can think of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift

Strong lower back pays off in any aspect of life I can think of, but especially when you have a snow-laden 500+ pound sled to unstick ;)

Yup, I have to agree with you on this one. Rowing is a good back strengthner also. :beer;

S
Dec 5, 2007
This is how we did a challenge on my motorcycle board. We sent $10 to a paypal account, broke into groups and the winning points group got the money split evenly. Good way to motivate everyone. We started last january and went for 12 weeks.

Transformers challenge (guidelines) 2008:

Each week you will acquire one point for each of the following for your team:

Drinking at least 6, 8 oz glasses of water a day (This does NOT include diet clear pop, soup, or crystal light type beverage). I believe doctors recommend 8 glasses a day, but we will start with six. (1 pt given per day, possible 7 per week)

Logging what you eat. This can be done either by hand, in the tracking thread, or on another computer source. As long as you write it down somewhere, it doesnt matter. (1 pt given per day, possible 7 per week)

Exercising at least 20 minutes a day. (1 pt given per day, possible 7 per week)

Lifting weights (It is only recommended that you lift every other day) Core can be done daily but should be counted as exercise rather than lifting. (1 pt given every other day, possible 4 per week)

Meeting the Challenge for the Week each day. (1 pt given per day, possible 7 per week)

You will get one point at the beginning of the next week if you lost weight on your last week weigh-in. Honor system, optional to provide your weight. (1 pt possible per week)

If you continue the previous week challenge, you will get 1 point the next week. (if you continue week one and week two challenges into week three you get 2 extra points in week three)

Weekly points are to be posted in this thread:

Points are tallied Sun - Sat each week. You need to post your weekly points by end of day Monday to get credit for your weekly points.

Money: Each participant pays a one time $10 entry fee. All money (less paypal fees) will go to the final pot and will be divided amongst the winning team. Money must be in by Dec 31st to participate.

Categories:
Team Points (60%)
Individual Points (20%)
Overall Individual Weight Loss (20%)

Here are the weekly challenges:
Week 1:
Take a multi-vitamin each day.

Week 2:
No eating 3 hours before bed.

Week 3:
10 sit-up/crunches first day, every day add 10 more. (ie 5th day, you should be doing 50)

Week 4:
Eat breakfast (most important meal of the day)
**Extra credit point: If you did a self breast exam in the last 4 weeks, give yourself an extra point this week.

Week 5:
No snacking in front of the TV or computer.

Week 6:
10 push-up first day, every add day add 10 more. (ie 5th day, you should be doing 50)

Week 7:
You must have at least two servings of dairy each day (calcium supplement okay).

Week 8:
10 lunge first day, every day add 10 more. (ie 5th day, you should be doing 50)
** Extra credit point: If you did a self breast exam in the last 4 weeks, give yourself an extra point this week.

Week 9:
You must eat 2 fruits and 3 veggies each day.

Week 10:
No Junk Food!

Week 11:
Use SPF sunscreen on your face/neck daily.

Week 12:
Try a new form of exercise, minimum of 20 minutes. Something new to you, ie - swimming, yoga, pole dancing, etc.

**Extra credit point: If you did a self breast exam in the last 4 weeks, give yourself an extra point this week.

Remember this is a transformers challenge and the point is to make life transformations. You will benefit from continuing each of these challenges week after week.

This is an on your honor program. Encourage your team mates and have fun with it!

Last edited:

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Here is some good info from a post not too long ago.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160176

I don't get to the gym nearly as often as I should but when I do:

Rowing machine- 30 minutes. Then I walk around till I have recovered some what then off to the elliptical- 20 minutes. More walking then the pull up machine- 2 sets of 10 reps (heavy enough that it is really tough to squeak out that last one.)

Strangely, even though I have trouble finding time to go (my job, husband on shift work, living 20 minutes from town, etc) now that I am kind of over the extremely out of shape stage. I find myself wishing I could go and work out (never would have thought I would ever enjoy cardio. :rolleyes:)

Plus my heart rate has come down, have a lot more wind then I use to, and a touch of definition on my muscles (if you look really hard.)

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
I do Russian kettlebells 3-4 times a week which is a good mix of cardio and strength training. All the lifts we do are based on everyday movements, so you won't throw out your back from bending over and picking something up wrong.

I didn't know what Russian kettlebells was, as I have never heard of this before, until I just googled it. It's quite an interesting workout. How long have you been doing this type of workout? How long do you workout with those (30, 45, 60 mins?) and do they come in different weight variances? :)

P
I didn't know what Russian kettlebells was, as I have never heard of this before, until I just googled it. It's quite an interesting workout. How long have you been doing this type of workout? How long do you workout with those (30, 45, 60 mins?) and do they come in different weight variances? :)

I've been doing it for about three years and it still kicks my butt every class. Class is an hour but I have a DVD that is thirty minutes and it works all the muscle groups. Most of the moves work more then on muscle group at a time so the work outs are really productive. There are many different weights from a five pounder to "the beast" which is just over a 100lbs.

Premium Features