• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Few pics

F
Sep 6, 2009
few months back the 1m guys said i wasnt in that section so i guess i'm over here...Anyways my 01 mountain cat 1000 spent quite a few bucks at the snow show and heres the pics with my better boards and risers....boards arent done quite yet still have 1 side to do and add rivets. Last pic is before the new stuff after the decal deleting and polishing

snowmods 003.jpg snowmods 004.jpg snowmods 005.jpg projects 002.jpg

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Looks good, a nice cheap up grade is to find a set of 1m bars, there some of the nicest factory bars made, also try and find some used m series skis, then you wont get snow thrown in you face all the time from those parabolics. Nice clean sled, Have you done any motor work.

F
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks guys, already put a word into my buddy if he decides to change his bars out....No motor work as of yet, i have yet to ride it bought it end of last season...literally thought of peeling the reg stickers off my skidoo to take it out once lol...Hasnt even seen snow in about the last 3 years, went through all the basics luckily the guy did "summerize" it when he was done so tank was empty etc, cleaned up the carbs and she fires and runs great. Got a feeling riding with my buddy with his nitrous snortin m1000 next summer she'll be getting some work:D

What is avail or what can you do on these triples, this is my first cat, always rode ski-doos i know exhaust systems are expensive as hell, i'd like to add some displacement to her and some boost as well in the future

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Turbos ans triples dont really get along. These motors have huge HP potential while staying n/a. I never personaly wrenched on one but ive seen and rode with some very impressive t-cats. I think a real good mod would be droping and rolling the chain case, the older cats had a very poor attack angle. Then a little porting and pipe work and lose the counter balance shaft to save some weight. Its not hard to get these things over 200 hp, It'll be a monster in the big bowls.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
I would say put on a clear 1M gas tank and a 1M seat or Boss seat if ur budget allows, u can loose about ten or so lbs.The 1M bars also as u've been told about r great. A drop and roll would be good if u think u could tackle it.A light weight hood could help with her nose heaviness, check Mountain Fit and BR Tech this can save u ten or more lbs. Look for an exhau st on here and other sled sites and ebay too. I've picked up some good parts from these places for cat triples. Big bore kits for these sleds seem to be hard to find and can be expensive still, but keep looking and u will find some gems once in a while.

Sprocket

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I know where a 1050 CPC engine for one of these is if anyone is interested in it. I believe complete with ignition, carbs and exhaust.

F
Sep 6, 2009
I know where a 1050 CPC engine for one of these is if anyone is interested in it. I believe complete with ignition, carbs and exhaust.

Is that so? What kinda power that make? Drop and roll shouldnt be a issue do welding and fab for a living so that kinda stuff dont bother me....There is a 1m seat for sale out here cheap i may have to take a look at it

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
If your not afraid of the Drop and Roll id definitly do it, it will make a huge difference. I wouldnt be afraid to go a little further then the 1M's. We droped out 05 900's and it was by far the biggest gain we had, could not even belive it was the same sled. I dont remember how far we went it came with the Vanamburge tunnel we installed so maybe if you give them a call they could help you out.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'll check with the guy and get more details on the engine. If you do get a 1M seat, you can cut your tank (as long as it's the 12 gallon model, not the 10 or 13) to fit the seat. You don't actually need the 1M tank. I do like having the clear tank though, as the gas gauges really suck.

F
Sep 6, 2009
saw a few pics of that clear tank...not to bad of an idea, now would it be worth running k+n's on it or any kind of mods i can do to the airbox....I'm really really debating doing some port work but really think that may not be a good idea right before the season..I basically need to hang with my buddies m1 this year...next year i'm going for his head:D

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I ran K&N with prefilters on my 900 and liked it, had to jet up 2 sizes so im sure thier flowing more then the air box, plus youll never bog from a clogged intake in deep snow. It also makes jetting 500% easier, just extend your fuel lines a little and youll be able to jet the whole thing in like 5 min or less.

F
Sep 6, 2009
Man i'm glad you guys know what the hell your doing lol i know that old summit i got real well, rebuilt it pretty much from the ground up last year but taking a mint perfectly good running sled and being a lil hesitant to hack it up and figure out how this one goes together lol.
Also i picked this thing up for a 1000 at the end of last season...guy had it stored at the shop he worked at and boss said it needed to go, he had nowhere to put it since he was in a apartment, said it had to be gone that day, so as i was heading for the bank my brother was bringing my dads trailer up from bout 30 miles south to meet with me so i could head up and get it, offered the guy 800 and 3 other people had shown up as well the one dude was waving 800 so i told him i'd give him 1000, he was asking 1500..which i did have on me just in case, has 1200 miles and the only thing thats wrong with it is its missing the snowflap(minor minor) and the hood has a slight warp on the right side where someone didnt have it on the outside of the pan and the can got it a bit warm...I love this thing..itchin to go ride it

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
We ran UNI pod filters. Like others said this really made the jetting easy.

As for the counter balance shaft. You can't take it out. It drives the oil pump I believe. But we did install a straight shaft to ditch the weight. No issues, worked fine.

We also ran different needles, I would have to do some serious digging to see what they were. I believe they were the ZR needles.

We also ran the 4 degree timing key, PSI pipes and stingers. I know, I know PSI. But man they worked well.

We always spun them up around 9100rpm. Ran a yellow secondary spring with a 49deg helix. And 18/40 gearing. Could have been 17/39 gearing. Again long time ago.

Our biggest problem with these motors was the counter balance gear for the oil pump. It would bust a tooth then would bind up knocking the bottom end out of the thing. Was a very sick feeling to be in a good climb then BAMM!!

Here is an old video that I posted in the Video section years ago.

Man those triples sound good. I miss that.

Thunder

http://www.snowest.com/gallery/video/28.wmv

F
Sep 6, 2009
hey guys got the betterboards all tied up tonight and got a lil curious...this is probaly a stupid question but i have a small plug next to my choke..Whats it for? I'm kinda thinking a tether but never seen one like this..in the pic the rubber cover is off to the side of it. Any ideas?

choke.jpg

Premium Features