• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 gripper skis?

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
Leave the grippers on it I had slydogs on my 900 and had some problems with them ended last season on stock sidehillers because of that

If i had kept my sled i would have put grippers on the 9
But then I bought grippers with a assualt attached to them and im not looking back

Since you already have the powder pro's run them and see if you like them its 2 bolts just keep your stockers incase you dont like it. Honestly powder pros are the only ski I would consider trading grippers out for

A
Jun 8, 2008
stick with the powder pros

A buddy of mine runs grippers and they are a good ski, but I have PPS and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are best in pow and great on the trail. Also my buddys grippers broke around the edges but he liked them so much that he bought another pair. Bottom line stick with the PP's

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Best stock skis made, period. Try the Grippers first, then the PP's, make your decision on which you like. Then sell the other for gas money.

TroyS, I use the gripper part to stand on to get the sled back level when stuck. You don't slide off and bust your butt. At least that's how I use them. The Powder Pros are great skis. But you have the Grippers which are very good too! I have Powder pros on my 05 switchback/RMK conversion. and Grippers on my 06 700 RMK and grippers on my Assault. Grippers are less money to buy online. I got Powder pros for the switchback to replace the sidehillers that were on it.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
what is the gripper part on top for? Why do you need traction up there, is it for standing on the skis?

I think mostly it's for looks in keeping with the "dragon" theme and they do look cool, but they also do work really good for standing on when you're stuck on a sidehill trying to move around your sled in bottomless pow.
I would definately try them first before you scrap em they are without a doubt the best performing factory powder skis out there, but then I've never tried pp's so they might work better. I did put a set of grippers on my iqr, they are the best ski for the money if you can find a set of new take-offs for a good price

Grippers are on Ebay all the time. I paid $202 plus $15 shipping for a pr. of gripper new take offs. Skis, loops, carbides, bolts and the rubber block thingy all for one money. SLP Powder Pros are much more by the time you pc. them all together. Shadetree has decent pricing if your a sledhead member you get an extra 10% off. That savings pays for your membership plus, if your not a member join.

I

IQOUTLAW

Sep 10, 2008
i have an 07 switch and am currently trying to choose skis. I ride a fair amount of trail, probably more than i do big powder!(unfortunately) but I am torn between the PP's and Sly Dog Powder Pros.

Has anyone tried them both? Trail manners are important to me!

Im looking for a set in white if anyones got em for sale...

Thanks!
MAXX

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I had a set of powder pros on my old edge sled, looks to me like Polaris used the powder pro as the blue print for the Gripper ski. Only difference I could see was a slightly smaller keel on the Gripper JMO.

J
Mar 7, 2008
Run the grippers in deep fluffy stuff once, you won't be able to see bugger all the front end sinks so bad with them.

I think that the grippers are of a harder plastic. The grippers work very good all around. I worry that the Powder Pros will wear thru quicker on trail use. I Have Powder pros on 1 sled grippers on the other. Grippers cost less, Both brands seam to float and track the same. Anything is better than the sidehiller skis.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
The powder pro skis i had kept wanting to sink in the fluff and if not ready for it it would dang near throw you off the sled..but still good skis way better than the stock sh2s i had..havent tried the grippers yet but from what i hear i might have to sometime.

???

The powder pro skis i had kept wanting to sink in the fluff and if not ready for it it would dang near throw you off the sled..but still good skis way better than the stock sh2s i had..havent tried the grippers yet but from what i hear i might have to sometime.

Don't get mad at me, But, I really don't think you had PP's if they were wanting to "sink in the fluff". I had them for three years on my last sled, they sure seemed to "jump on top" in a hurry. Sure did like them!!

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
anyone seen or tried those new skis that were featured in the latest SNOTECH Mag

they looked pretty functional not sure how wide they were

T
Apr 1, 2008
Bend, OR
Wow, everybody is talking about how bad the sidehillers are... crap, that's whats still on my sled! I don't have money to upgrade. What's so bad about them anyway?

I just saw those skis in the snow tech today, i get the impression they're more for trail riding / snowcross. Not sure they'd be of much benefit for mountain riding.

Premium Features