• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36" Suspension setup

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Hey folks, I have some questions regarding the 2016 Axys suspension. I just bought this sled used. It came with the Zbros 36" front end and no sway bar. Now I see you are supposed to shorten the shocks to run this setup. Well, I have no money for that.

I have the suspension setup at the max preload on fts and min preload on rts for my 185 lbs dressed rider weight. I have the front shocks at almost full pre load since no sway bar.

What I am noticing is that the front seems very heavy compared to my old 2009 doo with the 36" front end. When in someone elses track through trees it wants to push to the low side which is usually into a tree. It has almost no front end lift at all and easily buries the nose.

Things I think I need to try:
1. Decrease ski preload so it will articulate easier.
2. Increase fts preload to get more lift. How far can I crank this in without
causing coil bind?

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, where should I be standing on this sled? I have tried far forward and farther back. Nothing feels like its helping to get the front end lighter.

Thanks.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Gas shock repair in Idaho will shorten the shocks for around $50 each.

Nothing else will completely reduce your ski pressure.

(Pro rmk spindles might help if you have some handy)
Reduce ski preload for minor improvement.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So if you shorten the shocks will that give you the 2019 feel of the light front end?

Ah now it makes sense.
(It said 2018 before)

Yes.

The react length works great for standard 36” a arm kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
So if you shorten the shocks will that give you the 2019 feel of the light front end?

Shortening the shocks will make it even more nose heavy. I would put the sway bar on first, with the narrow front you want the sway bar. Axys don't have much ski lift, and make sure you're riding back on the boards a bit.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Shortening the shocks will make it even more nose heavy. I would put the sway bar on first, with the narrow front you want the sway bar. Axys don't have much ski lift, and make sure you're riding back on the boards a bit.

With all due respect it is no different then putting axys spindles on a pro. It makes the front feel heavy. He is after the shorter shock or some pro spindles. Put pro spindles on a axys and it makes the front feel light. I have tried both is how i know. Not really sure what you are talking about?

Premium Features