• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO RMK 155 in the Midwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So I've been riding a SBA 800 and had a bit of an epiphany last week while riding in the U.P. I decided that I have really little interest in trail riding. It's just getting too dangerous to be honest. Way too many Tucker Hibbert's out there. So my focus moving forward I am focusing on off trail riding in the UP and riding in the Snowies.

So for my spring order I am considering ordering a Pro-RMK 155. I thought about the SKS 155 but I really like the idea of the Quickdrive. I would add the wheel kit to the RMK. Is there any other reason to go with the SKS?

Also, I realize the 155 isn't a trail sled. But if I set the skis to 41" can it be ridden on the trail once in a while? Or is there a reason I am not seeing to go with the SKS?

Thanks!

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I believe the SKS has a larger tunnel cooler, that would be enough reason to buy one. I ended up adding a MNTEK auxiliary cooler to our 155 ProRMK, as I wasn’t happy with the performance of the stock cooler in trail applications.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The new sled sleds run MUCH cooler! run the scratchers on the trail and you will be fine.

I stopped riding the UP back in 2004 for the exact same reasons.... I cant imagine how bad it is now.

Go with the RMK. It will be fine for the small amount of trail riding your going to do. You just need to limit your speed with the 2.6" track or you will destroy it.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The Switchback Assault was made for off-trail Midwest riding. IMHO, anything over a 144" is overkill. Although, a lot depends on your ability.

I just got back from a deep-snow Midwest boondocking trip yesterday. Had my 121" short track. I love rippin' that thing around in the backcountry. Dug a lot of guys out, but never got stuck myself. I think having a long track mountain sled would be pretty boring because the snow never really gets deep enough to make it a fun challenge. Then there's the trail mannerisms and cooling issues that will just wear you out....

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
I was in the same exact spot as you two years ago. I ended up going with a Pro RMK because of the quickdrive and just wanted to try it.

That being said, because of the sled and the requirements of deep snow it's not the best for around here (ND, MN) and in the UP you can still get stuck here and there but that's pushing your boundaries, which can be a good thing!

If they made a 146 SKS with quickdrive I would go that route next time. I've only had cooling issues once when I broke both scratchers, but I've also mainly been in really good snow conditions.

Either way you go you will be fine, but from your comments I would guess the SKS would be a better fit. I don't think the Quickdrive over chaincase would be enough again for me to have a sled built a little beefier to handle the Midwest conditions.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Excellent input! If I went with the RMK of probably grab a used sled for Midwest trips.

My main focus is going to the Snowie's. It's only a few hours further than the UP for me and it's all interstate 80.

FlatLand_J

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2013
Same boat as you only in NY. Stared with 137 trail sleds to Assault 144 and then an SKS 146 and this year went to SKS 155. I have the opportunity to chase all of the lake effect storms and can justify a 155. Although this has been a rough winter. Did finally get 3-4 foot storm the other week. I can see the advantages of the 155. I''l try to sum up my experiences.

SBA 144 with 2" - Wide front end and no adjustment. great trail sled and gets off trail pretty well. Wide front end makes it harder to get on edge in firmer snow. Hybrid boards build up snow under foot.

SKS 146 with 2.25" - RMK front end. on trail the front suspension is too soft and turning up clickers doesn't help with shocks getting packed in rough trails. Weight transfer is insane and sled will stand up so easy. Tons of fun. Rear suspension is stiff and will swap in bumps and trenches more off trail. Attack angle plays a part in this too. If i kept this sled I would put Raptor Kinetics on the front or at least their triple rate springs. Scratchers are hard to mount on this skid with the torsion springs. Remove the front wheels.

SKS 155 with peak 2.25 - Have Raptor Kinetics front and rear. I knew going in to this sled the front end was going to be too soft like the 146 was so I bought a full set of shocks. For using this as a crossover sled they are insane. this suspension is better than the SKS 146. The only thing lacking is that light front end feel. Gets down the trail very well. Stable and bottomless. Can get a little weird in odd shaped bumps where the long track is driving the front down in to the next bump but that is running long sled in trail sled bumps. Short spacing. Trail temps are 110 or 100 with scratchers. Did a 210 mile trail weekend early in the season. Sled was great. In deep snow there is an amazing difference in flotation over the SKS 146. Even with the same lug height. the 155 gets on top quicker and stays there. Belt temps are cooler in the very deep snow. The 146 may have been better geared down. May finally see some woods / logging riding this weekend if mid week storms comes together. I like the minimal handlebar controls on the 155 as well ast the more forward steering post. More tunnel length for more storage is nice too. Mountain boards are much better than hybrid boards.

I'm curious to see what Polaris does for 2020. Would love to see a true RMK/SKS 146. Coil over rear suspension and a more RMK track angle.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I wonder if I should throw the RMK Assault in the mix. Though the ski stance is wider at its narrowest setting than the SKS is at its widest. I wonder how that effects the carving ability. Though I don't think it has a sway bar so that should help I think.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Running lake effect champagne pow in the UP snow belts, which typically sees 12-15 feet per year, hills and trees on the west side and 2-3 feet of fresh some weeks unless the big lake freezes over, a RMK 155 2.6 is a great choice. Scratchers down when you need them and you'll be fine. Much more fun with the RMK narrow front and uncoupled rear. Same for summits and Ms.

B
The cooler on the SKS makes a HUGE difference; I wish I had the belt drive but wouldn't trade the two.

A lot of the RMKs around here (even the 600s) run hot without scratchers, sometimes even with. My SKS has never seen above 60C.

I put the short Skidoo scratchers on it, but only use them when I'm worried about the track/slides. Even on plowed roads, haven't had the engine run hot yet.

M
Dec 4, 2017
I have a 16 sks, previous sled was a pro. the sks is a few lbs heavier but not enough for me to notice. The quick drive is a little snappier than the chain case sks but I like that I never have to run ice scratchers with the sks because of the extra cooler. I just got back from colorado & we were riding about 15 miles of trails to get to our spot.. never used scratchers and engine temp did not go above 129 (outside air temp was between 30-35 degrees). If I were you I'd go sks & put a tki belt drive on it.

Last edited:

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Thanks everybody! I have ruled out the Pro-RMK. I have narrowed my search to:

SKS 155
RMK Assault

I am going to make a new thread to make it easier for anyone comparing these two sleds in the future to find via search.

Again thanks everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features