• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump adjustment.... revisited

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
U

ultra51684

Jan 26, 2010
Orange city IA
Sorry to beat this horse to death but I just adjusted my oil screw and I can not find the scribe marks you guys are talking about. Does any one have a good picture or description of this. Mountainhorse had a nice image but it does not seem to look like what I'm looking at.

Last edited:
P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
Sorry to beet this horse to death but I just adjusted my oil screw and I can not find the scribe marks you guys are talking about. Does any one have a good picture or description of this. Mountainhorse had a nice image but it does not seem to look like what I'm looking at.

The marks are almost impossible to see, you need a mirror, flashlight and a magic hat.
Easier to just measure the fuel / oil used and get your ratio imo.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
2012 PRO RMK 800 @2700 miles x2 Sleds

I adjusted both sleds to three turns out (not enough thread to go more) and add a little to the tank, just a "Dollop" if you will, nothing is ever measured.

I clean my valves twice a year, beginning and mid season.

I just did my pre-season inspection (there's not much snow here this year), and my piston skirts appear to be scuff free, but I do have alot of deposits on top of the piton, fouled plugs, and extremely dirty/clogged valves.

One sled smoke like hell compared to the other at start-up (mine, I ride it harder than the wife....rides hers):face-icon-small-win

The oil and carbon that gets on these valves gets pretty sticky, and it appears that one valve may have actually been siezed in the goo, mid stroke.

So a few questions,

1) can an engine suffer damage having one valve stuck and the other not. (different cylinder volumes)

2) Should I try the Iridium plugs? I go through two maybe three pair a season due to fouling (never any performance degradation, I just like knowing I have clean plugs before going off for a long trip

3)Is there a suggesterd amount to add to the tank? ( I kniow all machines are different)

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
injection adjustment method

Yeah, it took me awhile to respond, but better late than never. I'd like to thank whoever suggested removing the hood to gain access to the nut/screw. Hood removal isn't that hard. Then, using a 1/4" drive, with a 12" extension, u-joint, and 8mm socket, it was easy to loosen the lock nut. Used about a 3" long small blade screwdriver to turn the screw in 2 turns (from what I've read, this is a good starting point). Use the wrench to tighten the nut, and you're done! If you want to be OEM, you can apply some yellow paint from a paint-stick marker to the nut and brkt. Re-install the hood, and I'll monitor the oil usage the first time out. 2 things surprised me: how easy it was, and the nut looked larger in all the photos on here.

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
great oil thread !

I will adjust my oil ratio on my 11 pro with all the great info/pics on here !
50,60,70,80:1 is bull****. I understand the pressure of the epa but how hard is in on the environment to use all the resources to manufacture hundreds of new motors !
I like the idea of pre mix. 200 Milliliters on a full tank will give you approximately 100:1

My polaris dealer says that pre mixing will "lean the motor out". I don't really believe that....
In Canada polaris gold is $60 a gallon including tax. WOW
Indy dan recommends castrol super snow(canadian version of castrol 2t) $27 a gallon.

I was misled at first with the carb picture so I circled what I think are the right screws. TPS to be left alone if adjusting oil.

oil pump adj.jpg 5116fdf2.jpg

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
Can someone please help me understand how adding oil to the tank does anything other than coat the exhaust valves with partially burned oil?

The injectors on these newer 2 injector motors are in the transfer ports. The injectors only spray fluid on top of the piston and above the piston ring. Any oil that might get on the cylinder wall is immediately wiped off by the ring and then pushed straight out the exhaust after partial burn.

IMO all the oil that's put in the tank is doing almost nothing to actually lubricate the motor or piston skirts. At best it's helping the rings seal better and making the Air Fuel Ratio leaner. At worst it's just causing more unneeded deposits on the tops of the pistons and gumming up the exhaust valves much sooner. 25% to 50% sooner in many cases if people are actually adding 1oz per gallon.

If you are tuned to a 32:1 fuel/oil ratio and you add another oz per gallon in your gas tank you have increased oil consumption by 25% and not done one thing to add more lubrication to the crank bearings, rod bearings and piston skirts.

And I would also like to confirm something that was posted earlier. RPM has far less to do with oil consumption than the lever arm position. The lever arm controls the oil delivery. If you tied the lever arm in the full open position and let the motor idle the oil tank would run completely dry before you burned even 1 gallon of fuel.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I can see it helping seal the rings better adding oil to the fuel. As we all know the rings do have some blow-by on the pros and some chrome flaking on the rings. I agree with you that the best option is to adjust the oil pump so that it will help lubricate ALL of the motor though. But hey, makes some guys feel better adding oil to each tank of fuel... I just add more oil to my oil tank :)

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
EPA correction !

I pulled the tank, computer and belt shield, pulled the top of intake box and Gave five screws in in the adjuster. Took about 30 minutes.
It is great to have all the electrical plugs labeled.
I will monitor the fuel/oil consumption to see where I am at on my goal of 35-40:1
I'll let you know after this weekend how it goes.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

bubba94

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2008
BC Canada
I turned up my pump by 3 turns and took it out for the first time the other day to start the QD belt break in. Full tank of gas and full tank of oil and a half litre of oil mixed in with the gas and at the end of the day I had 50 miles on it and burned half a tank of gas and only down about an inch and a half of injector oil. I know its not totally measured down to the amount of litres gas used to oil but that is still not a whole lot of injector oil used for half a tank of gas.

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
oil pump rmk pro

I went for a ride today on the 2011 rmk pro after turning my screw in 5 turns.
Here is what it used, 12500 Millilitres of gas (12.5 Litres) and 200 milliletres of oil which equals 62.5 to 1

On the same ride, my rmk 900 used 12000 Milliletres of gas and 350 Milliletres of oil for a mix ratio of 34.3 to 1

I turned the screw in another 5 turns and will report back with my findings !!
Any one else do any real world testing on their mix ratio ?

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
epa oil pump adjustment !!

I went for a ride today on the 2011 rmk pro after turning my screw in 5 turns.
Here is what it used, 12500 Millilitres of gas (12.5 Litres) and 200 milliletres of oil which equals 62.5 to 1

On the same ride, my rmk 900 used 12000 Milliletres of gas and 350 Milliletres of oil for a mix ratio of 34.3 to 1

I turned the screw in another 5 turns and will report back with my findings !!
Any one else do any real world testing on their mix ratio ?

I rode the rmk pro today with the adjuster turned in another 5 turns. So now it is 10 turns in from the factory setting of 87:1
The screw is almost flush with the top of the jam nut.

Here are the results. 10 turns in from factory setting.
12260 milliliters (12.260 liters) of gas used and 450 milliliters of oil used. 27:1 !!!

I will go back one turn and I should be at around 30:1, I will feel better knowing that my sled uses as much lubricating oil as my other sleds with 4000 miles on them. And as always, a good warm up with non synthetic oil. The synthetic sure smell nice though !!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So what is the final verdict on this then? Advance the linkage arm 1/16th of an inch past the scribe mark then mix 1oz per gallon and live happily ever after?

Yes I bought another Polaris lol.

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
screw

I don't know about a scribe mark, but I do know that if you turn your oil adjust screw level with the jam nut, about 10 turns, you will be about 27:1.
It sounds like the extra oil in the tank is redundant with these new motors.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Bought my 12 Pro 800 last month with less than 20 mi on it so not sure what ratio it was using oil at, but before even riding it I turned up the oiler 3 turns. Over 4 different fillups now I'm using oil at 40:1 +\-. Ratio doesn't change much whether it's a trail ride with the family or running it hard on the hills.
Also adding a little oil to the gas.

whitemeat

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2010
turning up oiler

so to turn up the oiler screw do you turn it in or out. clockwise or counterclockwise.

Premium Features