• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken drive shaft

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
It is pretty obvious to an engineer, that Polaris has no real engineers on staff. Engineers do not specify bonding agent to hold together a critical joint through which the entire power of the engine is transferred, when that bonding agent creeps 30% prior to failure, when that bonding agent is likely heated up from the belt drive, when that bonding agent is at least 1300% overstressed, and the assembly resembles a fence post cap shoved onto a hollow aluminum bed post. Blunders like that only come out of the Bosses office, because nobody dared to overrule him and nobody is being fired.

It sounds as though you consider yourself an engineer? It is obvious to at least some of the rest of us that, while you may have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a few times, you are not as you seem to be claiming. You are spouting numbers and mis-appling any perceived knowledge you may have. You spout useless info like a recent college grad with no real world practical experience. Sorry to dig on you, but your posts are annoying and misleading to those who are less educated.

I too have posted things that I believed to be accurate at the time, Later a smarter person than I called me on it. I re-crunched the numbers and lo and behold I made a huge assumption that made all my subsequent calculations bogus. I went back through the posts I could locate and corrected my misinformation but how many read my misinformation and thought it was gospel? Too many, I still catch a snippet in the occasional post that references my misinformation that was perceived as very factual and plausible.

I'm man enough to admit I can be wrong, it doesn't happen very often because I'm a perfectionist by nature and usually crunch my numbers multiple times and have things very well thought out before starting the execution of any task.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Claims that Polaris tested a batch of shafts from inventory and found about a 20% failure rate.

Sounds like its going to have to be a total mass recall.

How much of this is true I dont know, just what is was told.

Hmm well it looks like some people could say I told you so and some can eat crow , either way it doesn't matter to me as long as this has been brought to the attention of the majority.
Maybe they'll warranty the old with what the protos had , and the aftermarkets will take care of the belt so that leaves the jackshaft .

Winter's just starting , That's what you call looking out for your fellow sledders .

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
I haven't rode mine yet, but last nite I looked and mine had lots of hard glue coming out the holes on the drive shaft and it also has some white stickers with these number on it 1590481 and 674921.26 this placed right over the joint. It has another one placed on the drive shaft that number is 1590508. Not sure they mean anything but kinda looks to me like they may have checked mine before it was shipped!!! production date on mine was 8-8-12

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Hmm well it looks like some people could say I told you so and some can eat crow , either way it doesn't matter to me as long as this has been brought to the attention of the majority.
Maybe they'll warranty the old with what the protos had , and the aftermarkets will take care of the belt so that leaves the jackshaft .

Winter's just starting , That's what you call looking out for your fellow sledders .

I truly think that is simply what most of us are after (other than Dam Dave of course...he is just out to make himself feel better about his oversized ProClimb)...an EXPLANATION of the failures and an appropriate REACTION by the company that we just gave $12,000 to:)

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
i have no doubt that polaris will make it right, but this is a big deal and will cost them a bunch of money. they have to make sure they do it right and get their ducks in a row.

Gornodav

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Novosibirsk, Russia
Hi guys! Best regards from Russia to everybody!
First of all i'd like to appologize for my bad English. So, i could not understand propely all of written here.

Please advise me and my fellows in Russia who've bought Pros 2013:
1. Is it possible to change driveshaft with any steel made earlier (2011-12)?
2. If yes, driveshaft of wich models can be used (PRO, RMK, RUSH)?
3. Is there are any other parts need to be changed along with a driveshaft?
4. Anybody of you did already replacement?

Thanks in advance for your replies

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Gornodav, Привет и Добро пожаловать на форум!

Yes, you can substitute any 2010 - 2012 Polaris PRO-RIDE Chassis shaft into the 2013 PRO RMK.

If it is NOT from a 2011/2012 PRO-RMK, which has three 2.86" pitch drivers on them... You will need to install 2.86" pitch drivers.. All of the RUSH chassis and Switchback chassis have 2.52" pitch drivers on them and they will not fit your track.

You can get 2.86" combo drivers from AVID products or find some used drivers from someone that has taken them off already.

If you buy a used driveshaft.. I recommend that you change the bearing on the non-driven end of the shaft as well. And purchase a new pulley bolt with thread locking compound.

Send me a PM message if you need any help with this.

Может быть, я могу приехать в Россию некоторое время и ездить с вами.

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
sorry, way off topic...

russia? you really need to get pics/video up and details of where you ride! has to be a ton of areas to ride if you can access them. plus you don't have the epa, sierra club, or any of the other environmental groups to deal with.

ok, back to topic...

pv

Gornodav

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Novosibirsk, Russia
Thanks, MH:yo:
Do you speak Russian? It will more easy for me to pm you.
Sure, you can come and ride with us.
On Dec 2nd some american guys will arrive for same purpose. Probably you heard about them - Chris Burandt, Jarred Sessions and Dan Adams. We gonna make Slednecks in Russia movie all together.

Premium Features