• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exh. Valve Cleaning Update!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
G
Feb 19, 2011
I ran YamaLube in my 07 m8 and it worked great. One day i thought i would spend the $15 on the ams oil instead of the $6 for the YamaLube to see if it ran any better. I didn't make it 2 miles before i noticed something was wrong. Pulled my exhaust valves and they were totally fouled up. Stick with what oil works and don't mix them in the reservoir and you will never need to cleamn them. had over 2000 miles on it before this happened and never had them apart before.

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
Well I got half way through my power valve cleaning, put if off for a few months and now I wanna put it back together. I forgot how the guillotine goes back in, should the larger indent on the guillotine face up or down???? :face-icon-small-con

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
I am cleaning the valves on our sleds and trying to get the washer (#16 in the pic below) off the guillotine and for the life of me I can't get them apart does anybody have some advice?

Attachments

• 12800RMK.jpg
    12800RMK.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 150

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
I am cleaning the valves on our sleds and trying to get the washer (#16 in the pic below) off the guillotine and for the life of me I can't get them apart does anybody have some advice?

Did you take off the # 15 nut??

If so it it just baked on.. maybe take a nite to let soak, if not just pull it apart..

Some times the oil can be really sticky!

and act like glue!

J
Mar 9, 2008
It screws into the guillotine. Polaris has a special clamp to hold it while you unscrew it. I'm sure there is red loc-tite on it. Just apply some heat to it. I just left the valve attached and cleaned it all as a unit.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
Did you take off the # 15 nut??

If so it it just baked on.. maybe take a nite to let soak, if not just pull it apart..

Some times the oil can be really sticky!

and act like glue!

It screws into the guillotine. Polaris has a special clamp to hold it while you unscrew it. I'm sure there is red loc-tite on it. Just apply some heat to it. I just left the valve attached and cleaned it all as a unit.

Thanks for the info, I did take the #15 nut off, I tried unscrewing it and tapping it off both but I didnt use any heat or get too western with it since I was not positive how they came apart. Tomorrow I will try a little harder!!!

I
Oct 25, 2008
Has anyone ever tried using one of the ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning up brass rifle shell casings before reloading to clean your exhaust valves?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Has anyone ever tried using one of the ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning up brass rifle shell casings before reloading to clean your exhaust valves?

I would think that would work great, plus there isn't the chance of scratching/gouging the valve. I use brake cleaner and a brillo type pad.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Oven cleaner is by far the best method but you have to be patient and wait overnight (sometimes need heat too for really baked on carbon). Doesn't harm the surface like the mechanical methods you other guys are doing and takes off the gunk with little to no effort. Trick I've been doing on my Doos for years and I've used all the other methods (brake/carb cleaner, steel brush on dremel, etc., etc.).

Have FUN!

G MAN

I
Oct 25, 2008
Great Work Guys!!

Keep the Idea's Coming in!!!

I really like the ultrasonic.. cleaning my slef.. but dont have one!! hehe Sounds KOOL

They are on sale at Cabellas. The cheapest one is $60. I clean valves for 5 sleds, so it would be nice to just throw the valves in and have them both clean by the time I get the valves out of the next sled in line.
Anyone try this????
If I get to Cabellas, I may try it and if it does not work, just take the unit back.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
This is super quick and easy, less than a minute a piece.

And takes metal off the guillotines every time too. NO THANKS! Been there, done that. Honestly peeps, a shot of oven cleaner and (typically) 30 mins later they are like new!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
Premium Features