• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre mix or oil pump debat

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So I'm sending in my 97 crank shaft off my XLT to SLP to have them update the PTO bearings with there tough boy's. I figure since I'm doing a lot of mods that this is the most important upgrade since these sleds were notorious for going bad. Plus mine is the old style that polaris changed half way through 97. So my thought was to eliminate the oil pump and just do premix. The guys as SLP told me not needed unless I"m racing??? They did say I would get more oil to the crank on premix though. I've always heard that once you pipe these sleds the RPM's can cause the pumps to go bad? Seems like cheap insurance to just get rid of it and know I'm getting the proper oil? What is your guys thoughts?

motorheadmike

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2009
Missoula, MT
Keep the oil injection, turn it up and keep it below 9000rpm. They work great. I also like the crank from a 93-94, they seem to last longer.

Just my .02

Mike

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Keep the oil injection, turn it up and keep it below 9000rpm. They work great. I also like the crank from a 93-94, they seem to last longer.

Just my .02

Mike

They were only 580's then not 600's like the later ones. The increased cylinder size is what caused the problems.

But yeah hes right don't screw with pre mix. keep your oil injection just turn the pump up a little bit.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So what happens if the oil pump fails? Would I lose the motor? I heard at High RPMs people have had problems with the oil pumps going bad. Is there any downfall to Premix?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Wow googled this subject and found tons of great info. Seems to be about 50/50 ratio of people for and against. The one thing I was interested in is most everyone felt if you race your sled then go premix. Now that seems odd for the people to say that go against premix???? Motor is working a lot harder at high RPMs??

Another argument I heard is the PTO bearing not getting oiled enough if you eliminate the oil pump. But SLP claims when they mod my crank shaft and case that I won't have that issue either with or without premix. So besides convience I really don't see a huge overwhelming argument for keeping the oil pump?

F

freak58trio

Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Washington
The case gets drilled on the pto side so the bearing gets oiled . I run premix on my 800 and thought about going back to an oil pump but chose not to as I worry about the pump failing ! At least I know how much oil the motor is getting . If you seen how little oil comes out of the pump you'd run pre mix also. Yes it is a hassle at time but I won't go back.

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
I would eliminate the pump and premix. Have been running premix for years. I dont trust oil injection systems. Premix and there is not guesswork. Just make sure when you add the oil pump block off plate that you get a good seal.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I would eliminate the pump and premix. Have been running premix for years. I dont trust oil injection systems. Premix and there is not guesswork. Just make sure when you add the oil pump block off plate that you get a good seal.

I agree completely. A couple months ago I was not sure what was better. After talking to a lot of people about issues they had I was sold 100% and now run premix only.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
I usually disconnect and plug all the oil injection on my older sleds, new sleds work differently and it can't be done though as you won't get the oil to the bearings when you need it.

I own a 98 XLT and just capped off the injetion lines, leaving the pump on so it will still oil the PTO bearing (has the pto injection line), and I will run the three lines back to a smaller tank I got for the system instead of the large oil tank. basically the pump will still be on and pumping oil to the PTO only and circulating the oil from the intake lines.

I was told to run at 40:1 and will try it. I am also putting pipes and clutch kits on it.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I usually disconnect and plug all the oil injection on my older sleds, new sleds work differently and it can't be done though as you won't get the oil to the bearings when you need it.

I own a 98 XLT and just capped off the injetion lines, leaving the pump on so it will still oil the PTO bearing (has the pto injection line), and I will run the three lines back to a smaller tank I got for the system instead of the large oil tank. basically the pump will still be on and pumping oil to the PTO only and circulating the oil from the intake lines.

I was told to run at 40:1 and will try it. I am also putting pipes and clutch kits on it.

I had SLP machine my case for tough boy bearing kit so I could eliminate the PTO problem that the newer XLT's were notorious for.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
I thought the older XLT's had the issues? Mine is a 98 and has the pto oiler - and from what I'm told has two sets of upgraded pto bearings from the factory. It'll get a good work out this winter - hope it lasts!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I thought the older XLT's had the issues? Mine is a 98 and has the pto oiler - and from what I'm told has two sets of upgraded pto bearings from the factory. It'll get a good work out this winter - hope it lasts!
The 580's from my understanding were fine it was the later 600's that had problems up until 97. I guess some of the 97 motors were fixed but most still had the issue. 98 and newer I don't think had the issue.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
I have pre-mixed everything I own for weight loss and I also dont trust oil pumps, once you get into the groove of mixing you dont even notice your doing it. I have a 93 I just did the delete to cause the pump failed and toasted a few pistons, I change my mixing depending on what that sled is doing for the day, racing iam up around 50:1 and trail riding normally around 32:1 and 40:1 on my EFI sleds. Also once you clean up under the hood it looks so much nicer but this is a never ending possible argument some guys live by the pump and some dont, I have heard failures on some motors from not using a pump and have gambled on a few of my cat race motors well some are up around 5-6000miles running hard out of the box on my older motors and are still running great they smoke alot cause of our oil mix but still trail ride the crap out of them.

Premium Features