• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric fuelpump for Ultra/XCR????

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone done it? Possible? What kind of pump?

Asking cuz myengine revs 9K+ and the pulse pump gets kind of low efficiency at such high rpms, drains the carbs. Wondering if this could be a solution.

Hoping for a little knowledge on pumps and watt output...

Thanks for looking!

Rune

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
fuel pump.

The early Storms used 2 pumps plumbed together. The new hex shaped pumps have a higher output. I would try one of them. My XCR had a single pump with 2outlets that went to T s between the rack carbs. Looked like the same pump that comes on the big block twins with anothe tap on the output side. Rebuild kits for the pumps are the same for either pump.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
The early Storms used 2 pumps plumbed together. The new hex shaped pumps have a higher output. I would try one of them. My XCR had a single pump with 2outlets that went to T s between the rack carbs. Looked like the same pump that comes on the big block twins with anothe tap on the output side. Rebuild kits for the pumps are the same for either pump.

Yup, have a set of those Storm pumps. And run a 70lir/hour hex pump now.
Problem is, at those high rpms the swinging back and forth from a pressure to a suction pulse becomes so rapid that the actual pumping effect is less.

If no electric solution can be found I will have to drill and tap another cylinder and run two pumps with their own pulse.

Anyone know how a M1000 pump would do? Capacity?

Rune

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Run two high volume pumps is the best way to do it, that way you have a backup if one fails, Ive done it on all my big triples. Build a small resivoir or buy one of ebay for $15 pretty simple way to do it.

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Yup, have a set of those Storm pumps. And run a 70lir/hour hex pump now.
Problem is, at those high rpms the swinging back and forth from a pressure to a suction pulse becomes so rapid that the actual pumping effect is less.

If no electric solution can be found I will have to drill and tap another cylinder and run two pumps with their own pulse.

Anyone know how a M1000 pump would do? Capacity?

Rune

If i remember correctly the factory M1000 pump was good for 200-220 hp

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
You would have to run a 12v DC battery to run an electric pump, along with a rectifier/regulator.
I went with larger diameter needle/seat set up. On the Mik's flat slides they are a plastic float assembly that include the n&s. I think the 2.0 was the largest. Kinda hard to find, I lucked out when I got ahold of mine.

Twin Edge 800 pumps feeding into a home made fuel log....

1416747515051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Drilled out all the brass fittings for max volume/

1416747386051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
4Z: Thanks for the pics man! Might be the only way to go.

Is there something verry different in Cats electronics to allow for a pump w/o battery?

Rune

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The Cats and for that matter all the EFI sleds now with no battery use a capacitor system to store charge so when you pull it over it stores energy to run the pump.

You could run an electric pump but you will have to plumb in a return line and a pressure regulator so that you don't force fuel past the needle and seat.

I ran dual pumps off of 2 pulse lines on my old high strung 707 SLP motor back in the day. I just drilled and tapped the case in another cylinder and then ran them and plumbed them together sort of like 4z shows. That motor ran at 9400RPM and once I went to dual pumps never had an issue. The nice thing about the pulse pumps is that they are pretty much self regulating... they have low enough pressure that they won't pack pressure against the needle/seat and cause it to leak.

Lots of people have run bigazz triples at stupid high RPMs with this setup so you should be able to make yours work. BTW, I also put a second feed line in the tank on my dual pump setup.

sled_guy

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
The Cats and for that matter all the EFI sleds now with no battery use a capacitor system to store charge so when you pull it over it stores energy to run the pump.

You could run an electric pump but you will have to plumb in a return line and a pressure regulator so that you don't force fuel past the needle and seat.

I ran dual pumps off of 2 pulse lines on my old high strung 707 SLP motor back in the day. I just drilled and tapped the case in another cylinder and then ran them and plumbed them together sort of like 4z shows. That motor ran at 9400RPM and once I went to dual pumps never had an issue. The nice thing about the pulse pumps is that they are pretty much self regulating... they have low enough pressure that they won't pack pressure against the needle/seat and cause it to leak.

Lots of people have run bigazz triples at stupid high RPMs with this setup so you should be able to make yours work. BTW, I also put a second feed line in the tank on my dual pump setup.

sled_guy

GOOD feedback. Very much appreciated.

Although I'm kind of back to square one, I guess you and 4Z has shown me the path.

Rune

Premium Features