• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats the best MC, Impluse, or maybe?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
isn't the 2860 rated to flow more air then the 16t that MCX uses??
There is alot more to horespower than air flow. Im sure it could push a little more air over say 18 lbs boost, but that would be negligible.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
All this is great but having very few dealer locations would make it a tough decision for a newbee to the turbo fourstroke. Mcxpress is professionally installed at most Yamaha dealers making it a quick fix if something goes wrong. But who am I to talk I own a propane kit with only two dealers world wide lol

Very true... There is alot of mcx dealers but myself would only trust a handful to do a install. Most of them in BC have never even done one. There is a very respectful guy in 100 mile and one in Alberta and that do installs and sell impulse. Cr racing also does installs. The only thing i see a person having to have done anyway is the motor work that "MOST" not all Yamaha dealers i would let do, the kit bolts together rather easy..

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I would love to here why you think Pauls kit would make more power boost for boost. I know it is just your opinion...but you must have a reason. I personally think that all being equal, the kit that can cool the air the best would make the most power. At least thats what science would tell me.

So your telling me that every kit makes the same power? That header design, location of turbo, size of turbo, intercooler design,cam timing and fuel delivery does not matter? Love to hear your thought on that brother! Yes your right the temp of a air charge is a factor but seeing there both cool to the touch i dont see how it can even come into play. We are no talking about a turbo car in 35 degree Celsius weather with under hood heat added to the the equation. Your talking winter air temps that are already below freezing going through the turbo. So the intake temps are low. Hey Neil didn't you say your side pipe and new header made you more power? How is that??

I
Feb 22, 2010
Just vote for impulse i have one and no problems with the kit. Paul knows his stuff and he rides what he sells and is always trying to improve his kits. The standalone system for the nitro rocks just turn the key ajust boost/clutching and ride. if i was to make a choice other than an impulse i would go with a mid mount system. i dont see too many cars or diesel trucks out there with rearmounts on them.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
So your telling me that every kit makes the same power? That header design, location of turbo, size of turbo, intercooler design,cam timing and fuel delivery does not matter? Love to hear your thought on that brother! Yes your right the temp of a air charge is a factor but seeing there both cool to the touch i dont see how it can even come into play. We are no talking about a turbo car in 35 degree Celsius weather with under hood heat added to the the equation. Your talking winter air temps that are already below freezing going through the turbo. So the intake temps are low. Hey Neil didn't you say your side pipe and new header made you more power? How is that??
HaHa...easy there big shooter. I just asked for an explanation (specifics please). Oh and just for the record I have had my intercooler pretty hot on my Nytro. Just let me know when you have the answer to the question.:face-icon-small-ton

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Looks like I am missing a fun one. HP and reliablity IMO is the total package, properly sized turbo for your application, an intercooler that is properly built and placed. An engine designed/tuned to maximize the addition of a turbo system and a good fuel system that has been properly set up. Most importantly a good rider/tuner that can bring everything together. I also believe you can take some guys and give them any one of the turbo kits and they can tune it to be a winner. Neil is right, if you take two similar set ups and one has a colder denser intake charge, he is going to make more hp.

This will all be laid to rest for another year after the March 13th weekend. hahahaha, any wagers. lol

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
alpine gets my vote because they have been great to me, but i would not turn down a impulse, awesome kit too both kits make big power & have great customer service if both set up the same i think it would be a dead even heat rider takes the win.:beer;

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
I went impulse as a "newbee" to the turbo fourtstroke. Did the install myself, its pretty straightforward to install a turbo. Most of it is just bolt and go, especially with the standalone no worrying about tuning in a box. Guess I prefer to know how my sled works instead of having it installed by almost any yamaha dealer. Sure if something is wrong might be a quick fix but when you are stranded out on the snow staring at the sled having no idea of where to look could be frustrating, especially if it ends up being something simple like a loose wire, or having something slip off.

And if I didn't want to install it myself I would not hesitate to make a 12-15 hour drive to a dealer to have an impulse kit installed.

I would hardly call yourself a newbie when you did the install yourself. I consider myself a little mechanically inclined, have worked on my previous turbo apex and my new turbo nytro. That being said, I sure wouldnt do the install of a kit by myself. The point I am trying to make is that some people should consider buying a kit if this is thier first time from a respected yamaha dealer who installs kits daily. Makes my laugh when people say "impulse is the best because the owner tests and improves his kits all the time, well so do ALL companies, Alpine, PL, Mc, even Simmons. Atleast we can agree that theres nothing like riding a 4-stroke yamaha! I think they are all sweet and would be happy to own one of each. JMO

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
HaHa...easy there big shooter. I just asked for an explanation (specifics please). Oh and just for the record I have had my intercooler pretty hot on my Nytro. Just let me know when you have the answer to the question.:face-icon-small-ton

Bigger turbo, standalone fuel controller so it's running at its peak all the time, 750cc injectors, big header/downpipe, Nice IC design.

Why don't you tell us why it won't make more power??? Don't come with "easy big shooter" it's just a question, enlighten us on your theory.

Thanks

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I would hardly call yourself a newbie when you did the install yourself. I consider myself a little mechanically inclined, have worked on my previous turbo apex and my new turbo nytro. That being said, I sure wouldnt do the install of a kit by myself. The point I am trying to make is that some people should consider buying a kit if this is thier first time from a respected yamaha dealer who installs kits daily. Makes my laugh when people say "impulse is the best because the owner tests and improves his kits all the time, well so do ALL companies, Alpine, PL, Mc, even Simmons. Atleast we can agree that theres nothing like riding a 4-stroke yamaha! I think they are all sweet and would be happy to own one of each. JMO

myself like jeff (jsandgren10) have never done an install like this before. I had never pulled the bellypans off my apex and dove into an impulse kit. Sure I know my way around a sled, but never worked on a yammi 4s. Paul was great helping me along the way, the head shim and cam timing wasnt bad at all, just time consuming. First ride out was flawless, clutching a bit light but made a 60-70 mile trip without an issue!

I have had multiple random PM's from people who had dealers install their kits only to have problems and them not knowing how to diagnose some simple problems and were no help after the sale in getting the problem fixed. Along with some not wanting to make the long trip of taking it back to their installer. If I had not installed my own kit I wouldnt have known either as to the details in the kit.

also installing yourself you can appreciate the quality of the parts and materials in pauls kit.

And after some time I did have a random issue with my prologger pop up that was not puals fault but he came through with no questions and got me a new prologger shipped to my door without missing a single ride.

Impulse customer for life!

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Bigger turbo, standalone fuel controller so it's running at its peak all the time, 750cc injectors, big header/downpipe, Nice IC design.

Why don't you tell us why it won't make more power??? Don't come with "easy big shooter" it's just a question, enlighten us on your theory.

Thanks
I never said it wouldn't make more power! I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Paul or his kits. Paul is a buddy and we ride together in Revy if we can ever hook up. I have rode one of his standalone kits and was quite impressed.
Just for the record I have already stated my theory. IMO everything being equal the kit that would make the most power "boost for boost" would be the one that would cool air charge temps the most. It's pretty simple really. Now if you want to start talking about other things like reliability, quality, tuneability, throttle response, max power, fuel economy, turbo location, fuel tank options, price of kit, technical support, etc. Well then i guess we can talk about that too, because I do have a theory on that too.
I just asked a question...sheeesh:face-icon-small-dis

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I never said it wouldn't make more power! I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Paul or his kits. Paul is a buddy and we ride together in Revy if we can ever hook up. I have rode one of his standalone kits and was quite impressed.
Just for the record I have already stated my theory. IMO everything being equal the kit that would make the most power "boost for boost" would be the one that would cool air charge temps the most. It's pretty simple really. Now if you want to start talking about other things like reliability, quality, tuneability, throttle response, max power, fuel economy, turbo location, fuel tank options, price of kit, technical support, etc. Well then i guess we can talk about that too, because I do have a theory on that too.
I just asked a question...sheeesh:face-icon-small-dis

What's the "sheesh" for?? all I did was ask a question too. Two grown men can't debate a little bit without getting mad? I wanted to know your opinion on it..... that is all.

As for cooler charged air being the only determining factor on which puts out more power, I don't fully agree. There are many more variables to consider. Like I stated early the the bigger charger... which you don't think comes into play when going boost for boost, but not all boost is the same. A larger charger pushing the same boost as smaller charger is running more effeciantly, and is also pushing more volume of air. Most the time boost is just a measure of restriction. lower the drive pressure and it will lower boost, but will pick up hp becuase of less resticton.
There is much more then just that, like I said the standalone might be the most over looked factor. But I don't know this is just what I was thinking, I just wanted to here some other opinions without turning it into a pissing match between brands.

Thanks

A

APEX320

Mar 3, 2009
ALBERTA
Hey guys,

I had a 2006 Yamaha Apex with a MCXpress rear mount now I am looking at a dealer built Impulse, Its a 2009 with a 2009 2860 impulse kit is this a good setup? They said they like it better the standalone as they has some minor running issues?? Ive been runing an XP this year and it will become the wifes sled just curious on your guys thoughts. The price is very very good so thats why im drawn to it but I have no problems spending more money if there are better kits available. Also what immidiate other mods are guys doing to these machines, it is a 09 so I know I have to get rid of that Maverick track like on my apex.

Thanks

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey guys,

I had a 2006 Yamaha Apex with a MCXpress rear mount now I am looking at a dealer built Impulse, Its a 2009 with a 2009 2860 impulse kit is this a good setup? They said they like it better the standalone as they has some minor running issues?? Ive been runing an XP this year and it will become the wifes sled just curious on your guys thoughts. The price is very very good so thats why im drawn to it but I have no problems spending more money if there are better kits available. Also what immidiate other mods are guys doing to these machines, it is a 09 so I know I have to get rid of that Maverick track like on my apex.

Thanks

Are you looking at a Nytro or Apex?? Apex doesn't have the standalone yet. I have heard nothing but good things about the Impulse nytro and Apex kits, and can personally say my Impulse Nytro is awesome. I would start looking for a new track ( camoplast cammo extreme) and new skid Timbersled, Ezyride, M10. Make it at least 162"

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
need help

ok bought a 09 nytro with impluse stand alone with z bro front and easy ride skid. it has the simmons gen 2 skis really fat skis everytime you stop the front end wants to dive deep in the snow when you turn stop going down hill the front want to dissapear need advice is this normal this sled is hard to steer

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ok bought a 09 nytro with impluse stand alone with z bro front and easy ride skid. it has the simmons gen 2 skis really fat skis everytime you stop the front end wants to dive deep in the snow when you turn stop going down hill the front want to dissapear need advice is this normal this sled is hard to steer

It has the fat ski's and still wants to dive in the snow?? How stiff are your front shocks set?? are you sure there not set soft and the front end is just rolling??

Premium Features