• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help--Breaking limiter straps

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I am having a problem with breaking limiter straps. I have an '06 Apex Mtn with a Boondocker 28 turbo. It has the stock skid with a Camo 162" x 2.5" track. I have the boost at 15#.

We were on a trip last week and I noticed on the forth day the the limiter straps were starting to tear at an adjustment hole. On the fifth day it broke the straps the rest of the way and bent the relay rods that run along the shock. I had an extra limiter strap in my pack so I put in on hoping that it would make the day. I set the spring cam to heavy thinking that it would be better on the strap. I made one pull on the hill and it broke the new strap and broke both relay rods.

Please help me as I am new to this suspension. Is there something wrong or is breaking limiter straps common?

Thanks

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
On my nytro I hadn't broken a strap until 2 days ago, but I believe it was from running it too loose. I slapped a new one on my skid...so we'll see if that holds up. Boost will show you a lot of weak points on these sleds!

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
A friend of mine has a TNytro. He was breaking straps and copied hole pattern and replaced with cut pieces of a serpentine belt from autos. May want to try that. Seemed to work for him.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i went through this ordeal last year and this was on a n/a apex with timber skid. conveyor belt is way to weak, cheap limiters don;t only the factory apex ones hold up the best. lots of slack will cause the limiters to get weak, so u could strap new ones see how long they last. for me it didn;t, i tightend mine up and it improved track angle and i have yet to snap one. i also had a broken shock mounting shaft that was a contributor to the problem.

bottom line, if you wish to keep current limiter strap settings try new ones, if that fails then just tighten them up. might not hurt to run 3 with a turbo and if your suspension is set to transfer lots

J
Nov 27, 2007
straps

holz makes some kevlar straps, I have them in both my apexs. not a problem yet. Only problem may be they are wider than stock yamy ones and may not fit right in. julio

snobeel

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2008
Check the plastic sleeves on the bottom mounting shaft. They don't seem like much, but they keep the straps square. After struggling with this last year, I finally figured out that one of the sleeves was damaged. Once I replaced, it there were no more problems.

Jack

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
The straps need to be kept aligned. Lots of guys don't bother with the spacers, which keep them aligned. If you wanted to tear the limiter you would pull on one edge, think about it. They are a lot stronger when aligned and properly adjusted.

Premium Features