• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shim motor to fit air box?

K
Sep 19, 2009
I have a 05 Iqr with an 08 600 ho I have no shims under the motor right now and I was told to shim it up so I can get the air box on. How much to I shim up the motor on the back side? I tried to cut a little off the bottom of the air box holes to lower the boots and that did not help. And I tried some diffent boots that polaris makes they are close but they still did not seal. I know a lot of you guys say its hard but damn this sucks. Any more info or tricks would be great. Thanks Kerry

Jan 10, 2008
Is your center to center correct? I did have to shim the rear of the motor about 3/16" to get my center to center to 10.625". It did allow a little more room. However, even before the adjustment, I didn't have any issues. What carb boots are you using? What airbox boots?

Kerry

edit: I used the stock 600ho boots for the carbs and I used Fusion airbox boots and turned them backwards. It allows for more room to slide the airbox into place.

Last edited:
J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
The air box carb boot openings have to be trimmed bigger for the 600 carbs.
Also it helps to put the boots on the carbs then set your box in place, then reach your hand in the box and spin the boots as you work the seal in place.
Sometimes I'll put one hand in the airbox and use a long screwdriver on the outside of the box to spin the boot.

Hope that makes sense. Oh and new ones are always kinda tough, after they are on a while its not so bad.

K
Sep 19, 2009
My center to center is 10 5/8" that would be correct. I am running the stock 08 600 carb boots and got the polaris air box boots Part number 5412169. If i shim the back of the motor will that take my center to center out of alignment? I will try putting on the boots on first then intalling the air box. I have not herd of that yet. When I put the boots in the air box flush and try to install it they hit the top of the carbs first and are not even close to the carb bore. I seems to work better with the boot flange out but i can't get them over the carbs on the bottom side. I will try again today to make something work. I was just thinking of shimming up the back side of the motor to get the carbs to point up more.but i do not want to take my alignment off. Thanks for any more info. If someone comes up with a new air box design they would be a very rich person. HA HA.

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
My center to center is 10 5/8" that would be correct. I am running the stock 08 600 carb boots and got the polaris air box boots Part number 5412169. If i shim the back of the motor will that take my center to center out of alignment? I will try putting on the boots on first then intalling the air box. I have not herd of that yet. When I put the boots in the air box flush and try to install it they hit the top of the carbs first and are not even close to the carb bore. I seems to work better with the boot flange out but i can't get them over the carbs on the bottom side. I will try again today to make something work. I was just thinking of shimming up the back side of the motor to get the carbs to point up more.but i do not want to take my alignment off. Thanks for any more info. If someone comes up with a new air box design they would be a very rich person. HA HA.

Is the air box the stock 440 airbox? Even if you have the 600 carb boots the holes that they go in to need to be enlarged. The 440 carb boots are smaller. What I mean is the actual holes in the airbox that the boots set in are smaller, the 600 boots will fit but it will make it to tight to sqeeze over the carbs.
Does this make any sense??

K
Sep 19, 2009
I did ream out the bottom of the holes on the 05 air box. I had once read an old thread to make sure that the bracket that holds the air box is not bent. Mine was bent back about a 1/2" so i bent it back forward and it fits like a glove. Thanks to everyone for there help. Kerry

Premium Features