• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen4 Summit X 850

M
Nov 9, 2010
redding, ca
So I noticed that with very little pressure that the belt hits the front roll of the tunnel by the back of the secondary. Mine has done it enough to rub the paint off the tunnel. Hard to tell in the pictures but its actually hitting the tunnel not the black piece with all the holes in it by the footwell. Anyone else notice this or can check their 850's and see if this is happening on more than just mine.

IMG_3585.jpg IMG_3586.jpg IMG_3587.jpg

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
So I noticed that with very little pressure that the belt hits the front roll of the tunnel by the back of the secondary. Mine has done it enough to rub the paint off the tunnel. Hard to tell in the pictures but its actually hitting the tunnel not the black piece with all the holes in it by the footwell. Anyone else notice this or can check their 850's and see if this is happening on more than just mine.

maybe this is where some of that belt dust is coming from?

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I just looked at mine and it's not rubbing the tunnel in that area, but there's a rivet right there that looks a little shiny.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yes you are missing something--all the manufacturers give you a belt deflection measurement. It is irrelevant where it sits in the clutch your deflection is what matters.
Here is how I do it the easy way -- put the sled on a stand or suspend the back end somehow so you can run the sled.
Cycle the belt a few times by winding up the sled from a full stop to close to shift out to warm up the belt and the clutches. (or take it for a ride to get it all warmed up)
Now cycle the clutch through once and let the track stop by itself so the clutches shift back completely. Shut of the sled and loosen the secondary (nut) and unscrew it 1/2 turn--turn the secondary until the belt starts to tighten up. About 1 Revolution.
At that point I lightly tighten the nutted and run the sled again. I do that until the belt slightly creeps the clutch forward at idle .Shut here down and tighten the secondary nut usually about 1/8 to 1/4 turn tighten jam screw up and you are good to go. Now you will for sure start your ride in 1 Gear and not put undo wear and heat into your belt by always starting in second gear. Your rubbing will be a thing of the past.
After you have done this a few times you will know exactly what deflection your belt should have to work properly. If it squeals at idle you are slightly to tight. Hope that helps.

Premium Features