• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 RMK cutting out/dim headlight problem

T
Nov 23, 2013
I have a 98 RMK 600 that seems to have an electrical issue. At or just above idle it keeps cutting out. Acting like someone pushes the kill switch down then back up before it shuts off, and sometimes does actually just shut down. When the sleds actually moving nothing like this occurs until coming back down to idle.

Also, the headlight is super dim, and a few times at idle (not at the same time as the cutting out) it would flicker on to as bright as it should be, then back to super dim. I'm no mechanic and don't really know where to start looking.

Does this just sound like a bad connection somewhere or more complicated than that?

Also, it seems to me like these two problems are not related as they never happen at precisely the same time.

T
Nov 23, 2013
So i figured out the headlight problem is the voltage regulator. But that shouldn't have anything to do with the engine cutting out right?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Right, they are two separate electrical circuits. It sounds like the throttle safety switches which are in the throttle assembly are not operating correctly or throttle lever free play is out of spec. There should be .010" to .030" gap between throttle lever and throttle block at idle position.

Attachments

• Throttle lever adjustment.pdf
    414.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
T
Nov 23, 2013
so i got the throttle adjusted better and the cutting out disappeared. Also, purchased and installed new voltage regulator. Before the lights were just really dim, now with the new regulator it has blown two headlight bulbs. But not the taillight or dash lights. I haven't checked if the new regulator is not faulty, but seems weird it only blows the headlight

T
Nov 23, 2013
Headlights seem to blow quicker than other bulbs for some reason. Coincidentally there is a thread in the Gen 2 section with a sled blowing headlights and he just replaced the regulator too. https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438657 It would be the same regulator as what you have. I wonder if someone is selling faulty regulators.

i was reading somewhere the aftermarket voltage regulators aren't very good. but an oem Polaris one is like $70. Guess ill check voltage tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the good info on these couple threads retiredpop

Premium Features