• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did anyone ride Togwotee this weekend?

S
Apr 17, 2008
Wyoming
I'd like to know how the snow is up there too. I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend to break in the new sled. Just need some decent snow to ride on, not necessarily the steep and deep. If anyone has been up there this week, let us know.

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Marginal, we haven't seen much snow in the past few weeks. If we go in the morning I will give you an update. My Bro went last weekend and said he stayed on the trail and wouldn't dare getting off of it. If you want to go to just bum around the trail a little then go for it. If you are looking for decent conditions then wait until we get another storm.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
any updates? we are planning on being out there the 14-19th. supposed to leave michigan on the 12th. hate to drive almost 30 hours and not have decent snow conditions. debating on pulling the plug. any help from the local snowester's is very much appreciated. ski

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Saturday was the worst snow I have ever rode. 2 inches of ice crust on a couple feet of snow. Not to mention freezing rain all day. We have snow in the forecast so things could change fast. We will keep you informed!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
any updates? we are planning on being out there the 14-19th. supposed to leave michigan on the 12th. hate to drive almost 30 hours and not have decent snow conditions. debating on pulling the plug. any help from the local snowester's is very much appreciated. ski

E,
They should get some good snow tomorrow and early next week don't give up yet!

Shawn

D
Dec 5, 2007
Riverton, WY
snow conditions were very poor over the weekend. did not even want to unload sleds so just went and looked around and went home. It needs to snow a bunch we are behind where we were last year. I am going to drive up again this weekend and look so I will keep you posted.

C
Apr 1, 2008
Jackson, WY
i was up there riding yesterday afternoon. sure there was a little bit of a zipper crust, but it wasen't that bad to deal with. i'm hardly a true jedi on the sled and i seemed to have no problem in it. we rode off trail all day and didn't have many problems or hit anything. the coverage is not great by any means, but there is prob a good 20" on the ground and most of the fields were covered. a few spots you had to roll thru short sage brush patches, but they were easy to deal with. creek crossings were the only thing that was a little dicey. overall though, i had fun ripping around regardless of the lack of pow. prob gonna try and head up again later in the week. we are forecasted to get a bunch of snow in the tetons the next day or so, so pray for snow. gonna prob go farm so ski turns up on teton pass this afternoon too, regardless of the conditions. the way i see it, you don't know until you go...

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
E,
They should get some good snow tomorrow and early next week don't give up yet!

Shawn

getting conflicting info shawn

dubois will be near 50 degrees saturday (not conducive to snow)
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWY0048?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

moran looks better but the above freezing still has me concerned
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWY0123?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

dennis at turpin meadow's report looks really promising. but to drive 30 hours still has me wondering if i should pull the plug? hate to wreck a bunch of stuff on the dieted nytro. from undersnow hidden obstacles.

thanks for those providing info it really helps. please keep them comming, it is the only way i can make a decision on whether to come out or not. ski

S
Jan 1, 2005
Cedar Rapids, Ia.
I wouldn't be to concerned with the weather in Dubois, I've been thru Dubois on the way to Togwotee, sunny & 55-about 25 min\miles out driving in white out conditions.
Moran Jct. would be a better indicator to what the weathers doing up on the pass, but not always that consistent with what's happening at Togwatee/Brooks or Union Pass either.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I wouldn't be to concerned with the weather in Dubois, I've been thru Dubois on the way to Togwotee, sunny & 55-about 25 min\miles out driving in white out conditions.
Moran Jct. would be a better indicator to what the weathers doing up on the pass, but not always that consistent with what's happening at Togwatee/Brooks or Union Pass either.

From my experience staring at weather all day Moran is a much better indicator Of Togwotee's weather but the National weather Service (link above) is always the best indicator. Ben gave us until the 8th to cancel due to the slow winter start so I am sure he would honor the same for you. On Dec 2nd last year they had 36 on the ground today they have 31. Last year we had 43.5 when we arrived and 57 the night we left, to add some perspective. Wed and Thurs of next week looks good and for the weather channel to say 60% chance 10 days out is VERY rare from experience. Add to that Tog hasn't seen a good storm since the second week in Nov. To me all of that shows something big could happen. Sure it can all change, heck its the weather. But I am pretty confident in the Jet Stream shift to winter. They have decent base down, add a couple of good storms to that and we have the same conditions as last year. Trust me E we are all praying for mother nature to bless us. Our group is going to take a good look at the situation on the 8th and go from there.

Dear God I want SNOW ..... :p

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
shawn thanks for the info on the eighth. we will do the same thing. what is gonna happen with the moms motorsports thing if you cancel this late? i hear you on the weather and what "should" happen, and the numbers above show we arent far from last years "start". lets keep praying and dancing and maybe we can still get this thing done. ski

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Unless we get pounded with a foot or two I would wait. If time and money are no concern then come out. It is only an hour drive for me and I don't think its worth it. We only got 3-5 inches today:( Sorry guys we are bumming as well. I have a buddy coming out on the 10 from wisco to ride for a week. I thought about going to Revy or Keystone since it sucks here. From the sound of it they don't have much either. Pray for powder!! It will come;)

http://jhavalanche.org/scripts/avalanche.php?action=bulletin

Keep checking this bulletin. It will keep you informed.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I was up there monday. I thought it was good once you got up higher. enough snow to play around in off trail and plenty of breaking trail on the CDST

M

MTNDOO-

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 14, 2008
Ogden
I was up there monday. I thought it was good once you got up higher. enough snow to play around in off trail and plenty of breaking trail on the CDST

I am headed there tomorrow so I will report back but Snotel and the webcams and eye witness reports are looking promising. Seeming that we still have DIRT in N. Utah.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
shawn thanks for the info on the eighth. we will do the same thing. what is gonna happen with the moms motorsports thing if you cancel this late? i hear you on the weather and what "should" happen, and the numbers above show we arent far from last years "start". lets keep praying and dancing and maybe we can still get this thing done. ski

I don't know what Rick will do. My guess keep the money and buy a few extra tires for the Big Rig. He will take of use... I am not worried, he knows this week can be a hit or miss. For his Blackhills trip if they have low snow he will just take the truck to someplace else. I don't know on many other places with snow, so we will see.
In all honesty I am pretty confident the conditions will be good. For a trip like this we really don't want it to dump today, but dump a couple days before we arrive and when we are there. I have a spread sheet of Tog Pass snotel since 2000. They get a good dump sometime around now. If they got the snow last week... generally it is a little dryer the week we are there. So I am liking what I see. Also seeing our guide has 11 years of Guiding the same areas for about 100 days out of the year, he will find us snow specially since he knows we can handle the adventure in. :)

Cheers... I'm praying for snow!
Shawn

But still Prey for snow!

Premium Features