• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: SKINZ Air Frame Running Boards

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Man can I just say this is one purchase I will not regret. My main purpose in getting these running boards was avoiding replacing my boots every year from kicking the boards clean all the time, and to be able to ride and not worry about the snow ALL the time.

I have come to find a very good bonus of the whole setup. I had no idea how much stiffer these would make things. I have my skid out right now and with the stock running boards on there this thing was so flimsy it kind of scared me. I can't believe how much of a difference these boards make. The tunnel feels almost as stiff as the old setup did with the whole thing together. What a great upgrade!

Thanks to the Skinz boys. Oh and they don't look half bad either:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have come to find a very good bonus of the whole setup. I had no idea how much stiffer these would make things. I have my skid out right now and with the stock running boards on there this thing was so flimsy it kind of scared me. I can't believe how much of a difference these boards make. The tunnel feels almost as stiff as the old setup did with the whole thing together. What a great upgrade!

He he he'
TOLD YA!

ROCK SOLID NOW isn't it.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
150 lbs too heavy? or weak a** running boards?

i called yamaha after the sevice tech asked me how high n far i was jumping my 08 mtx nytro tank. i laughed and told him it was my climbing sled, no jumps. he said, no really... how high have you jumped her? i was gettin upset n asked why he was asking. he showed me the running boards on the sled, they sank down at least an inch along the outside,just behind the foothole,both sides the same.called n whined about the flexing,and was basically told i was too hard on the machine or too heavy. i weigh 150 geared up...too heavy?? riding it too hard?? i thought this was a YAMAHA? F*** yamahas service department! but i guess thats my fault for keeping the 08. still got her, no malfunctions other than puttin her up on a jack to straighten out those weak *** runners every time i ride. it seriously feels like im going to fall through the running board and into the track one of these times. i gotta get those air frames asap. think if i get the epoxy im gunna use it on the traction screws too,just incase. but on the other hand,my buddies 08 xp boards are straight as hell...and he weighs 220 lbs without gear!

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
If you can see through all the clutter there is a fresh set of bright red Air Frame Boards on there...and a new SPG front end. :face-icon-small-hap

Thanks Truebluemax for the gun and epoxy. I will get the gun to you in the morning!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
No problem AC, they look good. I can't wait to get mine out on the snow along with all the other things I did to it this year.

Where is the snow?

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Hey Guys:
Got the tunnel removed last night and plan to cut the running boards off tonight. Before reassembly/drilling/riveting/etc, etc, I had 2 questions:

1. Truebluemax, what is the name of the 3m adhesive you used? I like the lord stuff but not sure with the potting time being so short. Also, don't really care if its permanent...not like you can put the boards back on!
2 Christopher, would you go with less traction stud if you redid it? I think I read somewhere that the standard skinz setup is overkill, but not sure. My thinking was space at 3" and infill to 1-1/2" after, if you think traction needs improvement.

Thanks
OTM

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2 Christopher, would you go with less traction stud if you redid it? I think I read somewhere that the standard skinz setup is overkill, but not sure. My thinking was space at 3" and infill to 1-1/2" after, if you think traction needs improvement.

Thanks
OTM
The spacing that I put on worked out GREAT.
I lost ONE stud last winter and have to replace it in the next week or so.

It would be VERY hard for me to tell you if having less studs would make a big difference or not.

But it would be easy to go with LESS to begin with and then quickly add more if you felt you needed it.

ONE TRIP should tell you.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
It is called panel bonding adhesive 08115 is the number on the tube. I bought two when I did it to make sure that I had enough but I barely used more than half of one. ACUtah used the other one so it worked out well. It was very nice having the extra time and not having to rush it together. The other thing I liked is that it is black so you can't even see it there with the running boards on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The true mark of a great product is when it is good enough to order Again.
Just bought another set of these boards for my 2009 Nytro.!

I think this install I will do without the glue and see how the two compare side by side.

skinoobie

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2014
The true mark of a great product is when it is good enough to order Again.
Just bought another set of these boards for my 2009 Nytro.!

I think this install I will do without the glue and see how the two compare side by side.

Any updates on the glued vs. non-glued install?

Inquiring minds want to know!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Curious as to what you are basing that on.

I know that there are plenty of SPG Airframes out there without the adhesive that are fine.... and the reason that I walked you through it back in the day was because it gives you an extra margin of rigidity to the chassis and more resistance to normal abuse we put on the sleds.

Sure you can go without.. but why not bond them and have that extra peace of mind?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Curious as to what you are basing that on.

I know that there are plenty of SPG Airframes out there without the adhesive that are fine.... and the reason that I walked you through it back in the day was because it gives you an extra margin of rigidity to the chassis and more resistance to normal abuse we put on the sleds.

Sure you can go without.. but why not bond them and have that extra peace of mind?

Because I have read ZERO reports of failure without the glue.

Premium Features