• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Ascender Engine Fail

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Should be enough snow eh?
9526afeb83d57c4c49c6b8692307bdf3.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
When i leave the truck with 3in of new snow, i still drag my feet to get enough snow in the track, track still smells.
I have never ever smelled the hifax while riding, never ever, is that clear?
Again, i have never ever smelled the hifax while i was riding.
My buddies behind me tell me that every time we leave the truck it smells almost instantly.
My sled has never over heated.

Riding the same trails i have ridden for 27yrs.
8,000+ miles on powerclaw tracks.
All of which have shown no wear at all inside the track.

My 09 and 18 rarely used ice scratchers on the trails. Just drag a foot every so often.

My 14 an 19 both have scratchers down on all trails almost all the time.

3" track in 3" of snow=no snow available to the hyfax. It's not rocket science. The scratchers are in the wrong spot. Come on now. All those 27 years of sledding and you haven't got this figured out?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
My Aplha will see a lot of trial miles so I'm thinking I'll clip mine.
What will it take to clip the track using cats clips?
Can it be done with the track still in the sled?
Remove rear suspension and clip from inside?
I've never clipped a track so looking for some advice.

You clip it from the inside. Could probably be done with the track in sled, but the skid will need to come out. Most likely would be easiest with the sled on it's side.
If you got the back of the tunnel high enough and ran a strap through the track and around tunnel to hold the track up, it could probably be done that way as well.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
3" track in 3" of snow=no snow available to the hyfax. It's not rocket science. The scratchers are in the wrong spot. Come on now. All those 27 years of sledding and you haven't got this figured out?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Only 2in of snow on the trail
840f11f5baf8f1551ff44e0099c12a21.jpg

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Just a regular flat track clip will work, maybe just half the width will suffice? The 7" spacing will create wear on the front of the skid and along the bottom if running on irregular ground, which it always is! There needs to be something made that is not clipped on and is durable/lightweight? Maybe porcelaine coated substrate of some sort?

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
I have 670kms on my alpha and have not seen any of these track problems. As far as I can tell, it cools better in low snow than my 18 Cat. There is no unusual wear on my track or sliders. So far this year I've been trail riding a lot more than normal. This past weekend was on plowed logging roads with little snow and I thought for sure I would see wear but everything looks great.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The clips look good, the hifax look fine.
Fully clipping the track will solve the issue.
Load bearing rods have all been clipped on previous powerclaw tracks. Not sure who's idea it was to skip all of the right lugs?

Go do that to any other powerclaw and see what the results are....

Gonna test my engine again today. Hope she holds together.....

I don't know if they interchange with the Alpha track, but I have the tools & a bunch of different skidoo clips if you want to do some experimenting.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't know if they interchange with the Alpha track, but I have the tools & a bunch of different skidoo clips if you want to do some experimenting.
I appreciate the offer and i may end up doing something like that.
For now, I'm gonna let Cat tell me what there plan is before i do anything to the track myself.

Engine is still running.
Rail hasn't broke yet.
Skis are cats best to date, still thinking about throwing the grippers on just to compare.
Handling is awesome.

B

Boondockingak

I appreciate the offer and i may end up doing something like that.
For now, I'm gonna let Cat tell me what there plan is before i do anything to the track myself.

Engine is still running.
Rail hasn't broke yet.
Skis are cats best to date, still thinking about throwing the grippers on just to compare.
Handling is awesome.

What a pile, better give it away and get an 850 poo before it’s too late.

Premium Features