• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 engine - what on earth is this?

S
Sep 24, 2009
MN
After a ten year break from snowmobiling I bought a 2006 600 RMK in October. I took it out for it's first real ride today, opened the hood after three miles and saw this?

I have no experience with the Liberty engine. Can anyone tell me what this is and if I have a problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

sledengine.jpg

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Rust has formed on your exhaust valve springs. And you had moisture trapped in the bellows. When you ran the sled the bellows opened and out shot the gunk. I would take them apart and clean them immediately. It's not the greatest design. :(

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
If you look at the hood just above the VES assembly, you will see a small weep hole that acts as a drain to drain water out of the headlight assembly. That hole is DIRECTLY over the hole in the VES valve on the MAG side. After you replace the spring and clean out the rust, to prevent this from happening again and again, plug the existing weep hole in the hood and drill one to the left or right so the water doesn't fall into the VES. I have a 2006 600, 2007 700, and 2008 600, all three have this issue.

Premium Features