• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 M8 Mod Questions

Y
Dec 14, 2007
The sled is a 153 '08 M8 with '10 seat, '09 telescoping bars, 2 wheel kit and otherwise stock. I ride 75+% off trail in the UP of Michigan around 1200 feet where most of the winter there is plenty of snow to justify the need for the long deep lug track for real off trail riding. I ideally go out west once a year too but so far i've flown and been able to borrow machines from the people I ride with out there that live out there.

My thoughts are going with '09 rear bumper mod for both functionality and looks. Next I am thinking shift assist in secondary and 55/65 gears for better low end response. It will lose ~5 mph of the top end but 85 when I am on the trail is fast enough anyways. Now to the questions.... I have thought lots about getting the SLP pipe because I, like most on here, fall into the if 150hp is good 160hp would be better and on and on forever (there is no such thing as too much power). However my question is will I really be happy with it? I would rather keep or gain HP below the mid 7k range than loss or stay the same down there only to gain above it. The UP has plenty of hills that can be plenty steep but there are short compared to the mountains and can often be a field of trees you are working through so definitely not pin it and go hillclimbs. Would the Powerclaw actually be better to do first because it should roll much better and therefore is using less horsepower than the Challenger before going to a pipe anyways? I guess I am looking to help getting talked out of a mod. :eek:

Thanks,
Scott

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
I ride the UP and think the Power Claw was the best "mod" I could have done. I'd do that before a pipe or gears. I did the gears last year and love the response. I'm thinking the pipe this year.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Do the pipe first makes a big difference then the track.

I live in Idaho and disagree with this statement. While I like the slp pipe, I run one also, the powerclaw makes a bigger difference in the deep powder than the pipe. If you want more off the line performance try the slp 40/36 helix. When I had slp port mine I went with the 44/36 helix and the bottom end really rips now. Do the powerclaw track, slp pipe, and 40/36 or 44/36 helix. You ride a lot lower than we do so you could probably run the 44/36 helix with just the pipe.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
The responses on here are right on

I would look at the powerclaw track, hooks up great on trail in the in pow....also scrubs less HP. The gearing is also a great mod, really wakes up the low end on these machines. I have done the shift assist, it seems to help on backshift, and is a very inexpensive mod.

I would get all these things in place an then add either the SLP or the Speedwerx pipe setups, both are very good at making power. I know the SLP requires no fuel controller, although if you had one already you can squeeze out another 2-3 HP with proper mapping.

After all this I would probably change out the seat to the new shorty cat seat, for the price, you will actually get a better return on investment than doing the bumper. If you do the bumper go with the Van Amberg setup, Best in my opinion.

John

Y
Dec 14, 2007
Already have the '10 seat (got it just before and installed Labor Day weekend). I think I will go ahead and get the parts to do '09/'10 bumper change (I really just _want_ to do this because I like the looks and it will not be too expensive) and then get the shift assist, 55/65 gears, and a new helix (excellent idea, Cat does even recommend something like 44/36 for 0-3000 and I have straight 36 now). I will bring the sled home one of these times when I go north and do those things and the list beyond those will then be track first, pipe second. Might even get one of them to do when the machine is at home.

Thanks for the advice guys.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I live in Idaho and disagree with this statement. While I like the slp pipe, I run one also, the powerclaw makes a bigger difference in the deep powder than the pipe. If you want more off the line performance try the slp 40/36 helix. When I had slp port mine I went with the 44/36 helix and the bottom end really rips now. Do the powerclaw track, slp pipe, and 40/36 or 44/36 helix. You ride a lot lower than we do so you could probably run the 44/36 helix with just the pipe.

Ya you could be right iluv2fly, i went the other way i hope to be adding the power claw this year and i am hoping it makes that much of a difference but the power gained imo by installing the pipe was well worth the money spent, I have dropped some 30 lbs or so off my sled and it seems my stock challenger works fine for me though i know it does like to trench a bit i am ok with the way it performs especialy after adding the two wheel kit. I will be adding a power claw in the future and i know the advantages, my challenger is still pretty much new so i wanted the hp and wieght loss instead, next comes the power claw and tunnel then thats it till i buy a new one, but with all the other mods i have done my 08 is a totally different machine even with the challenger. Jmo but good luck Scott !!!

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
07' m8 162 stock tunnel, 09' m8 162 taper tunnel. Both sleds riden' in same conditions semi wet snow, the 07' was holding close to 25 pounds more snow and ice than the 09':eek:. The 07' now has the taper tunnel also:D. All the above mods are good but don't think the tunnel mods are just for looks...

Premium Features